Join Early Retirement Today

Lifestrategy Moderate Growth
Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lifestrategy Moderate Growth

Hmmmm...sitting here trying to find my beginning info on this fund. Might have to wait until Monday to call Vanguard. I am wondering if someone can explain the gains on this fund to me. Iffffff I remember correctly, I put $53K in a Roth transferred from EJones in Sept 2012. It is now up to $58K. Looking at this years fiscal info ending 31 Oct. The fund has gone up 14+% for this last year. If you take $53K plus 14% it would be over $60K....what am I missing? And....screwed up and called it Lifestyle instead of Lifestrategy.....poop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, but I fixed the thread title for you

Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From Yahoo historical prices, adjusted for dividends:

VSMGX Historical Prices | Vanguard Lifestrategy Moderate Stock - Yahoo! Finance

9/28/12 adjusted price $20.09
12/20/13 price $23.17

That's 15.3%, so your $53k should be $61.5k now if those dates are about correct.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not going to do the math based on your memory of the purchase cost and a non-exact date, but if you didn't reinvest dividends it looks more like a 10% gain which would put 58K in line with the prices. The rest of the gain went into wherever your dividends are swept to.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Dividends should just get put back in. But...like you said....I have inexact data (my memory....which sucks). I was going to call Vanguard anyway....now I NEED to call them to straighten a couple of things out. Might start up the new Roth into Dividend Growth instead....need to figure that one out today. Need to make some changes to my TSP as well since I am going to get out of the F fund and bump up my G fund a bit.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have moved almost all of my retirement equity to this fund after verifying that its AA is viritually what I had contructed myself using the usual Vg index funds. It has made bookkeeping a snap and has virtually eliminated manual rebalancing.

I have no problem with its returns, given its 60:40 allocation.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
I have moved almost all of my retirement equity to this fund after verifying that its AA is viritually what I had contructed myself using the usual Vg index funds. It has made bookkeeping a snap and has virtually eliminated manual rebalancing.

I have no problem with its returns, given its 60:40 allocation.
This was why I put the Roth in there last year....seems as good a place as any. Although I am twitchy leery of bonds right now....as I said earlier, might stick my TSP money into Dividend Growth instead. But I have until tomorrow (actually a number of days) before I have to decide.....have some cash I need to throw in to the Dividend Growth as well. Twitch....twitch....
Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Since it is a Roth you only need the cost basis for bragging rights No gain on sale computation.
I will say that Fidelity gives a better historic record then Vanguard.
But Vanguard is where most of my taxable and rollover IRA money stays.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Roth is in VBIAX which is also 60/40. I too am Leary of bonds but have to hold some somewhere. My TSP is 40% G fund, no F. Wife holds mostly Wellesley. Probably a better way to invest but this has worked for us.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I too am Leary...
Timothy? Is that you?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Timothy? Is that you?
Most people on here are old enough to get that one......

But I don't think he was a big influence on bonds....
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a comparison of this passive balanced fund to the active balanced fund Wellington here: How sound is this strategy (vs relying on FIRECALC)?.