Join Early Retirement Today

Re: List of items that have a 'Negative Inflation' over the past year...........
Old 05-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: List of items that have a 'Negative Inflation' over the past year...........

Homeowners insurance and auto insurance went down, and cable/broadband is lower because of some shrewd bargaining a change in cable package...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I called to cancel my garbage service - they undercut the new company and gave me 2 free months.
Make sure you have a real offer before you do this.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Everyone--

I think that "Sam's Club"--we don't have Costco's around here as been a great help to preparing for ER. Great prices can be had--if you are persistent. Sometimes the quantities can be overwhelming.

But the biggest boon is shopping at places like "Dollar Zone" and "Dollar Tree"--if you watch and stay away from the schlocky junk. Great buys on seasonings--$1.00 for Season Salt compared to $4 or $5 at the store. Tooth brushes, toothpaste, floss to salsa and different chips. Just got to be careful, but huge savings are there. These two places have become my favorite haunts.

The Professor
Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #24

Looking at just the past year I found insurance costs went down significantly, the DSL camera I wanted was down phenomenally, and the bang for the buck factor on anything computer/electronic is tremendous as prices go down and quality/capability soars. Gasoline costs up and food prices up, but I'm driving less and don't eat out every night like I did when I was working.

This thread got me to thinking about the cost of transportation so I did some research. In 1983 I had a little cash fall into my life and I bought my dream car. They were in short supply and the dealer was putting customers on waiting lists (Your car is in, it's puke green, do you want it? No? That's okay, we have fifty other people lined up to buy it) It cost 65% of my annual salary before taxes. Based on 1983 fuel prices, I had to work for a little over 2 hours to fill the tank. Fast forward to 2006 and I looked at MSRP for the newest version of that same car and what they are paying people today to do the job I held back then. They have dozens of them on the lots, so I doubt I would pay anything near MSRP, but the sticker prices represents less than 50% of the annual salary before taxes. Plus, it's a bigger, faster and more fuel efficient car. I would have to work for less than 1.5 hours to fill the tank. The only thing I didn't know how to factor into the equation was that in 1983 my employer was one of the top three in salaries for this kind of job in the country, today the salaries are not in the top 100.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i'm still a novice at this so maybe someone can help me understand.

if the cost of living goes up and forces me to change my lifestyle, that is inflationary, but if i change my lifestyle so that the cost of living goes down, that is not deflationary?
changing a lifestyle is a personal decision,,it may happen for many reasons just not a rise in prices...substituting items may or may not be because of prices.... inflation is only a change in the value of your dollar and what it buys...in the 1800's an ounce of gold bought a mans suit..today an ounce of gold buys a mans suit...prices really havent changed..its our purchasing power in an inflationary climate that changes... the mere fact that you changed your lifestyle has brought your cost of living down but it hasnt effected the prices of the things you were buying and switched away from.they are still the same or higher
Old 05-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #26

Most everyone understands inflation, but equally important is the effect that technology and efficiency of production have on costs. They can drive them down sometimes. That is what this thread is about!

For example in the early 1970's the Civil engineers where I worked were purchasing Texas Instrument Calculators that could replace their slide rules. They got these calculators at a 'discount' for $450. These machines could not only add, subtract, multiply and divide, but also had tangent, cosign etc on board. Today you could buy the same machine for under $20!

You can figure out how many calculators you could buy with an ounce of gold in the early 70's and how many today if you like.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #27

well that's what i thought, sort of. only i used an earlier technology for a lesser price to accomplish the same task, a $10 pressurized sprayer & a bit of hose instead of leasing a $500 crane. seemed negatively inflationary to my pocket. had i not been er'd, i might not have had the golden leisure (suit) to come up with that cheaper solution.

in the spirit of the original post...
Quote:
...experiencing a large decrease in costs over the past year. Either due to actual deflation or buying habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
changing a lifestyle is a personal decision,,it may happen for many reasons just not a rise in prices...substituting items may or may not be because of prices.... inflation is only a change in the value of your dollar and what it buys
precisely as you state, my dollars. the value of what my dollars buy. so it is not just the suit or the gold, but whether i make a phone call to bloomy's and have that gold suit delivered or if i take the time to find it on syms' rack.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

1) 40% rate reduction on auto insurance.
2) printer purchase cost much less than one 3-5 years ago.
3) digital camera - same as above.
4) golf shirts recently purchased, 15-20% less over last year.
5) lovasatin - generic cholesterol drug cost $18/mo now vs $39/mo last year.
* * * * * * * * * * * (not due to a change in insurance coverage)

There may be some others but I would have to dig a little deeper to come up with more.*

Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #29

Lessee, so far...

Car insurance went down from about $2000 per year to $1397. That's to insure a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with full coverage, and a '76 LeMans, '79 New Yorker, and '85 Silverado with liability-only. Main reason here I think is because I'm now in the 35-39 age bracket.

I've been trying to buy beer in bulk from the discount liquor store when I'm up that way. A 24-pack of Yuengling is about $14.99. At the local stores it can often run $18.99 or more. Only problem here is that when there's more in the house, we drink more!

I bought a new 10,000 BTU window air conditioner from Target for about $188 (got a 10% discount on top of that by applying for a Target card). Well, I already have three older air conditioners. Two of them are around late 90's models I think. One's big and one's little, but I don't know the BTU of either. I also have an old Chrysler Airtemp unit that's only 6,000 BTU. I have no idea how old it is, but from the weight it feels like it's Hemi-powered!

I was really amazed at how far air conditioners have come. Now compared to that old Chrysler unit, I knew it would be a big step farward. But even compared to my newer a/c's, it weighs about as much as the little one, but feels like it puts out as much, or even more than the big one! And it even has a remote control, which I'm sure will get lost immediately!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
These machines could not only add, subtract, multiply and divide, but also had tangent, cosign etc on board. Today you could buy the same machine for under $20!
Same function, not same machine. Today's machines can do all that while fitting in a credit card holder and powered by a "solar cell" that is perfectly usable under a battery-powered reading light. I kinda miss the LED displays, though. That was really cool.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #31

My Granddad had an old calculator from the early 70's. It was a big, clunky thing, but I thought it was so cool the way those green LED lights lit up! It had a 10-digit display too, which I'm sure must've been rare back then.

I remember buying a calculator called a TI-55 or something like that, back in 1984. I think it was about 40 bucks. It could do alot of stuff as I recall. I have something similar to it right now on my desk at work. It's called a TI BA-III, and says "Executive Business Analyst" at the bottom. Looks almost like my old TI-55 though. I have no idea how old this sucker is...I got it in 1997 when I got enslaved into promoted into this job.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
inflation is only a change in the value of your dollar and what it buys...in the 1800's an ounce of gold bought a mans suit..today an ounce of gold buys a mans suit...prices really havent changed..its our purchasing power in an inflationary climate that changes...
I don't know about you, but I can easily get 4+ mens suits for one ounce of gold around here at a number of retailers. And the quality is still acceptable.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I remember buying a calculator called a TI-55 or something like that, back in 1984.* I think it was about 40 bucks.* It could do alot of stuff as I recall.
We still have a TI-55 III from college. It's outlasted every other calculator in the house.

The labels on the function keys have been rubbed away over the past couple decades so spouse and I are the only ones with the hand-eye memory to operate it. Maybe we're missing a big eBay/Antiques Roadshow opportunity?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #34

I still use my TI-35 daily. But have to pull out the instruction book for some of the worn off keys that I don't use regularly.

Not much call for cosines these days.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #35

How does Media Center perform? I am thinking of dumping my satellite and Tivo in favor of cheap cable and Media Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Computer - I was able to buy a new Media Center PC from Dell's refurb website for $1100.* This model which was only made 3 weeks before I bought it is still in production and costs about $2500.* Thank's to the media center capability I was able to get rid of my Comcast DVR service which costs $9.99 a month
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I still use my TI-35 daily.* *But have to pull out the instruction book for some of the worn off keys that I don't use regularly.*

Not much call for cosines these days.
Still plenty of "tangents" on this board, though... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #37

Ugh, cosine. I know that word from my past, but can't remember what it means. Oh yeah, when I was married it's what I did to help my wife's cousin out on a loan!

Very, very bad thing, these cosines. Detrimental to FI/RE, they are.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Textiles have at least stayed pretty constant. In fact, I believe NPR had a story on how the vast increase in exports (and corresponding trade deficit) from China have held inflation in check, and now the sabre rattling from D.C. may force China to raise the value of their currency, and consequently, inflation may see a significant bump up....
Old 05-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #39

OK - I'll bite - I still have and love my HP 15C and RPN keying - in fact, it is hard for me to key a regular calculator - what's the = sign for??

Deserat
Old 05-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #40

Dumped my long distance carrier for Vonage ... cut the phone bill by over 50%.