Join Early Retirement Today

Re: List of items that have a 'Negative Inflation' over the past year...........
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: List of items that have a 'Negative Inflation' over the past year...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Still plenty of "tangents" on this board, though...* :
ba-dum bum.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
bum.
There we go again...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
OK - I'll bite - I still have and love my HP 15C and RPN keying - in fact, it is hard for me to key a regular calculator - what's the = sign for??
Yer just beggin' for some Gen-Xer or Gen-Yer to ask you what "RPN" stands for, aren't you?!?

I remember the good ol' days when we all used to stand around with our calculator cases on our belts, practicing our fast draws and bragging about how big our stacks were...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Considering we were handed solar powered scientific calculators in 7th grade Algebra, we Gen-Xers have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
we Gen-Xers have no idea what you are talking about.
We RPN geeks used to have a saying: "ENTER > ="

My HP65 in high school is probably what got me going as a computer geek. Programming that thing was essentially the same as programming a "real" computer in assembler.

I often wonder how my kid will learn how to do any of the things I learned. Computers, cars, and most gizmos were much more transparent when I was a kid. There's no way to figure out how some custom ASIC works today.

But at least the stuff is getting faster, better, and cheaper.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #46

I thought CFB had a thread awhile back about things being made cheaper (so much stuff is disposable) as a form of price inflation. Seems significant but I am glad the average joe feels good about life and continues to spend. Also, if you look at "basic services" like landline, bank checking, etc. have things really gotten cheaper? with much less customer service, etc?

Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Duh

The good old days were when I had my K&E slip stick. Also had a a couple of circular slide rules.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - never had them bronzed or mounted though.

one yr of college - $1500 - dorm living.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 AM   #48

I thought of another item. I used to spend about $300-$500 a year on Film developing and printing. I now spend nothing at all, since going to digital cameras about 5 years ago.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I thought of another item. I used to spend about $300-$500 a year on Film developing and printing. I now spend nothing at all, since going to digital cameras about 5 years ago.
Do you use one of those printers designed just for printing pictures? If so, how is the quality?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Do you use one of those printers designed just for printing pictures? If so, how is the quality?
Actually I hardly ever print anymore. When I do I just use my HP Deskjet.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I got a HP Photosmart 375 for DW and it makes excellent quality prints. She's had it since Christmas of 2004 and really likes it. It's limited to no larger than 4x6, but that's all she normally wants.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yer just beggin' for some Gen-Xer or Gen-Yer to ask you what "RPN" stands for, aren't you?!?
Haven't heard the answer, yet?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #53

I forgot about digital photography. I now take 1000's of pictures per year. They'll all fit on a single dvd or a cd or two. My wife likes to print a choice few out (at walmart) for something like $0.17 per image for 4x6's. She only prints what she wants and in exactly the quantity and size that she wants. That's cheaper than it used to cost to develop photos, and you'd always end up with 20-30% of your pictures being screwed up (heads cut off, poor lighting, red eyes, blurry, etc). Now with the digicam, we develop a very small amount of pictures.

Rechargeable batteries are cheaper and better now too. The old NiCd batteries took a long time to recharge and didn't seem to have the same amount of "juice" (sustained voltage and amp-hours) as the new 2500 mah NiMh batteries. I don't remember how much the old NiCd's used to cost, but I can get 4 Energizer AA's and a charger for under $20 at walmart, or 8 energizer AA's for $18.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Considering we were handed solar powered scientific calculators in 7th grade Algebra, we Gen-Xers have no idea what you are talking about.
I had to explain to my daughter last month why she's studying logarithms.

In good conscience, I couldn't pretend that the subject has an application any more. Sure, it's neat to be able to convert & add instead of multiply, but her reaction was largely "So what", followed by "Hey, how much do you think we could get for Grandpa's slide rule on eBay?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I often wonder how my kid will learn how to do any of the things I learned.* * Computers, cars, and most gizmos were much more transparent when I was a kid.* *There's no way to figure out how some custom ASIC works today.
But at least the stuff is getting faster, better, and cheaper.
I don't know how to slaughter a cow or a pig, build a house or a make a houseful of furniture, groom a horse, drive a buggy, use a haymow, make butter, set up an outhouse, or do many of the other vital things one needs to know in order to succeed in the world.

But somehow, to the amazement of my grandparents, we've done OK.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a
Haven't heard the answer, yet?
RPN = Reverse Polish Notation. I only learned it because the CFA exam requires you to use one of two calculators. The most common one is RPN.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I don't know how to slaughter a cow or a pig, build a house or a make a houseful of furniture, groom a horse, drive a buggy, use a haymow, make butter, set up an outhouse, or do many of the other vital things one needs to know in order to succeed in the world.

But somehow, to the amazement of my grandparents, we've done OK.
I can slaughter chickens, encourage cows to "move along," use a haymow, make butter, and set up an outhouse.

Oddly, this gives me "street cred" among some of my clients.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

As my Granddad used to say, "You Hoosiers are crazy. You cook outdoors, and use the bathroom indoors..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
I thought CFB had a thread awhile back about things being made cheaper (so much stuff is disposable) as a form of price inflation. Seems significant but I am glad the average joe feels good about life and continues to spend. Also, if you look at "basic services" like landline, bank checking, etc. have things really gotten cheaper? with much less customer service, etc?
Invisible inflation. Smaller portions, smaller containers, cheaper parts and labor, and reductions in the quality of customer service.

Over the past few years, with a couple of exceptions, I find it impossible to even get a decent first response from a customer service agent. Its like pulling teeth to get a defective product replaced, unless you "go completely through the script". "The lights are off, smoke is coming out of it, and I had to throw water on it after it caught fire"..."yes, now please upgrade the firmware again?".

After replacing some 8-10 year old appliances with new ones to avoid problems, then having problems in the first year with those newer appliances, then having to wrangle a fortune 500 company to the ground to get them to replace the products they couldnt repair...I'm thinking new stuff isnt as good as old stuff. Turns out my big name american appliance company, who will remain nameless because its GE, has most of their appliances built by 2nd rate companies in the far east and just slaps their name on them.

We dont go to a couple of our former favorite restaurants because the foods gotten cheaper and smaller, although the prices have only gone up a bit. Theres no value proposition.

I had a serious "cost reduction" time around the day I retired. I slimmed down a lot of bills and recurring costs by using alternative services, accepting less quality, substituting my own time for cost, or buying in bulk.

I still employ those techniques to control a lot of costs, such as changing my own oil and buying a 5 gallon tub of sour cream for $5 and then spending a week figuring out how many things have sour cream as an ingredient. Which can definitely be fun and challenging

Changing my own oil costs about $9; jiffy lube will do a substandard job for $29-35. While thats cheaper, it has nothing to do with inflation.

Substituting a VOIP service for my land line cuts costs in half, but when theres a problem I have to play arbiter between the phone company, the voip company, my router company, my cable modem company and my own handiwork. Combine with lousy outsources technical support, whose job appears to be "how fast can I find a way to blame somebody else or close this trouble ticket", and while it continues to be a hard cost cut, its not free, nor is it negative inflation.

Flipping this analogy upside down and using one of Nords examples to suit...our forebearers butchered their own cows and made their own furniture. When we started buying the stuff at the meat and furniture stores, did that count as inflation because we were now paying 10x for the convenience?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
How does Media Center perform? I am thinking of dumping my satellite and Tivo in favor of cheap cable and Media Center.
I can honestly say that Microsoft has done something really well. I'm a big fan of the Media center. So far it has worked like a charm, the interface is really nice, and I am also using the Media Center Extender built into the Xbox 360 to move my music, videos, recorded TV, and pictures on any TV in my house.