Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand why more young (under 30), single professionals don't try this. I had two roomates for my first 5 years after college and had more "entertainment" money to spend than any other time in my life! My rent back then was less than my condo maintenance fees today!
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you qualify, this is a good strategy IMO. Just get an age qualified as well as means qualified building, and it can be quite nice. Plenty people around to hang out with, but you have your own apartment too.

I would be worried about an all ages building with a lot of Section 8 or similar tenants.

Ha
Yes, in general a senior/disabled complex would be preferred over family designated units by most people who desire an undisturbed life. In PA, senior for subsidized housing purposes is defined as 62+ and one is charged one third of one's income with income ceilings in place. Some privately owned buildings have limited market rate apartments. I think it would also be wise for people who qualify for such housing to look for things like a full time building manager on the premises(40 hours a week) and a lives- on-the-premises maintenance person. Any type of housing should be observed by a potential tenant at different times of the day and night and on week-ends before signing a lease. Many rules and regulations(that are enforced) are to be desired in this type of housing.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I would definitely be Rose.
I'm wondering if anyone here will own up to being Blanche.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Good question. Although I love Blanche, too. Such joie de vive(sp?). Quite possibly the most dynamic of all the roles on the show, and I adore people like this because they are so different from my buttoned-up self....more life enhancing I think. I saw Rue McClanahan once in person...coming out of the Plaza Hotel in New York. She stood at the top of the stairs in quite a dramatic fashion. I was sorry to hear that she died recently.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some of you may remember my great idea for the Hooters-style senior living center concept wherein I open up an old folks home for old guys that is staffed by Hooters girls. I think it will be a big hit with our never-married guy friends who worry about some uncool old age. Just never settled on a name, if I don't go with the Hooters franchise. DH and three of his buddies have already signed up.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Some of you may remember my great idea for the Hooters-style senior living center concept wherein I open up an old folks home for old guys that is staffed by Hooters girls. I think it will be a big hit with our never-married guy friends who worry about some uncool old age. Just never settled on a name, if I don't go with the Hooters franchise. DH and three of his buddies have already signed up.
Sounds like an IPO is on the way, got any angel investors?

How about "Temptations"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sounds like an IPO is on the way, got any angel investors?

How about "Temptations"..........
Young women, old men? Sounds more like "Frustrations".
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Every time I hear 'Hooters', I think of the South Park episode...'Raisins'....

Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #29

Quote:

Toss a pool in the mix and call it Wet Dreams.
Live on your Own..
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Live on your Own..

I don't encourage living with someone else in the Family.. It's a cop-out..
takes the Stress out of achieiving more in life
You reduce your need to succeed by 50% not having Bills and committments..
and your Personal Life? There is none..

Fine for a Neice or someone to live with an Elder Person for a short time, but not so much for the Lt..
Unless that Neice is Fat and has no Personal -Love Life
as for living in Retirement?
-most don't want to Downsize ahead of time and end up waiting until a Spouce Dies and finds out the hard way they can't handle things on their own anymore, be it Physically or Financially..
-Many Women don't want to leave "their Big Home" of many yrs, too many Nice memories and although understandable, they have to be given a reality check
-Many that Didn't downsize ended up always asking Family members and neighbors for Help all the time and putting Guilt feelings on them...
-Not to mention wanting free-bees to Discounts on their RE taxes to utilities..
-Younger Women with Old one's ? The Younger one's get Attitudes and are not as Nice and co-operative with others, feeling they don't need to Get along with others as much as those living on their own..
-Same goes for the Guys.. they are even worse..They're not motivated to be more Outgoing and Co-operative to get along with others as much and more arrogant.
-A guy doesn't want to marry a Girl in her 20's-30's living at home or with an Older family member for yrs, shows she may not be strong enough to take care of herself and your kids.. Same goes for The Guys as well and why ( according to Dr. Phil) over 33% of marriages end up in Divorce..due to Responsibility issues..

Committment is the name of the game.. It makes you achieve more in your life as a whole..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

The key in life is happiness. Less financial burden generally equates to a happier life. More social interaction also helps.
oilspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post

Are you kidding? I dream of turning into Blanche when I get out of here...
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:

If the staffers are the same age as the residents you could call it Hangers instead of Hooters...

Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I enjoyed travelling halfway across the country to do lunch with mom at her senior dining room. The waiters were hot young college guys. We ignored the no tipping rule.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Hooters Seniors Center? LOL.. The Men will be too old do to much and , they will be rich.. Anna Nicole Smith comes to mind..
Old Women leave their $ to Their Cats, Men to The Young Girls..
I think the Young girls will get the most use out of it..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Cuppa that is soooo cool! I love it! I could definitely do a girls' version, especially since we usually live longer anyway. LOL!

Temptations versus Frustrations.... yeah, that is probably right!

I promise not to leave money to my cats, but if I wound up with a pool guy he might get lucky!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I think I could do OK on 15K if I sold my home and bought a trailer and a pickup to tow it with. New England in the summer FL in the winter.
I tried to talk DW into that but she wouldn't hear of it. Too stuck in her ways I guess.

At one point I tried to talk her into a modified DC-3 (Douglas DC-3 - USA) outfitted with travel trailer components instead of buying a home. She didn't like that idea either.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Cuppa that is soooo cool! I love it! I could definitely do a girls' version, especially since we usually live longer anyway. LOL!

Temptations versus Frustrations.... yeah, that is probably right!

I promise not to leave money to my cats, but if I wound up with a pool guy he might get lucky!

I'm with you, girl!!! I've always said I want to end up an old lady patting some Chippendale dancer on the ass.
The cats can find their own dancers.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I think I could do OK on 15K if I sold my home and bought a trailer and a pickup to tow it with. New England in the summer FL in the winter.
I have read a few blogs of frugal RV'ers who boondock a lot to save money. They posted their expenses, and I was surprised to see that they still spend around $24K/year. I do not remember all the details though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At one point I tried to talk her into a modified DC-3 (Douglas DC-3 - USA) outfitted with travel trailer components instead of buying a home. She didn't like that idea either.
A DC-3 that's still airworthy, or a plane like this?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

A DC-3 that's still airworthy, or a plane like this?

Holy cow, that thing is beautiful!
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote