Living circumstances

Which describes your living circumstances?

• I live by myself and pay no rent or mortgage P&I.

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • I live by myself and do pay rent or mortgage P&I.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • I live with someone else and we pay no rent or mortgage P&I.

Votes: 72 42.1%
  • I live with someone else and we do pay rent or mortgage P&I.

Votes: 57 33.3%
  • I find the above choices unclear, or I just don't fit in these categories.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
DW and myself, $102k mortgage. The house is presently for sale. We're planning to rent while we decide on retirement location.

DW, DD, and me in a megacorp leased apt on assignment in asia. First home paid off at 33, and we still have it 14 years later, second home built/finished 3 years ago, built as cash became available...didn't want a mortgage. DD has 7 months left in high school, then off to college in August, when it will be DW and me. Couple years to FIRE, we think.

Oh, no dogs or cats for now. DW wants a Shiba-inu dog, I want a Golden, we'll choose one or the other, when we return to the US.

R

2 adults, 2 kids (1 teenager, 1 younger), some pets in a house with a mortgage.

Where are all the other folks with young kids?

So far, about 29% live alone and 69% do not. Slightly over half of each group live in a paid off home.

So, over two thirds of us live in situations where possibly more than one household member could have some source of income, and where expenditures often may reflect the needs of more than one person. Of course, these factors are not 100% related to living arrangements but I think this poll gives us a sense of our general situations.

I also find it interesting that those who live with others are no more likely to live in a paid off home, than those who live alone. You'd think it would be easiest to pay off a house when living alone.

Only 17.48% are living alone with no mortgage! No wonder people think that nobody can live on less than $20K without horrendous deprivation. Most are supporting a mortgage and other human beings, and probably have to consider feeding and clothing the other household members out of the household budget.

I probably should have considered the dogs, cats, and other pets, too. One of the reasons I don't have a pet (other than insufficient time to devote to one) is that the expenses such as vet bills can be pretty stiff.

Last edited:
Two adults (?). House is completely paid off (as of two years ago). No pets, kids are out of the house. Mortgage payment was $361, so the house being paid off was not such a big financial deal. The monthly utility bills were often more costly than the mortage.

Wife and I, her two cats and one dog; my dog.
4.5 % mtg will be paid in full in '10 upon retirement, barring more significant losses.

My husband and I live in a house we bought for retirement in 2006. We have a very small fifteen year mortgage at a low interest rate. We have no plans to pay it off early.

DW, me, 2 teenagers 2 dogs & 2 cats - outside - 2 cats and a pot bellied pig in a paid for home- all the critters are "volunteers" - we live in an area that people dump their animals(yes, even the pig!)and convince themselves that they will be fine w/ all the water/plants/game - pretty sad.
These volunteers are the best animals I have ever had....

Just me and DW in a paid-off house. We know the economics - she's a former bookkeeper/sort-of accountant, but love not owing anyone a thing.

Did you listen to This American Life yesterday? A story was told about working in a medical examiner's office. Actually funny. :)

No, but after a couple of days of fall cleanup in the yard, there's some doubt...

Does Anyone Have an Adult Child Living at Home and Contributing?

Just wondered. I know a few people, mostly women, who lived with their mothers unitl finally inheriting the house.

Ha

Two humans, an ever changing number of guppies (around 25), and a yard visiting neighbor cat in a little, paid for, house.
Just to be clear, the guppies are contained in a fish tank.

Just wondered. I know a few people, mostly women, who lived with their mothers until finally inheriting the house.

Ha

Funny, I've seen this more with guys. And yeah, I think it is mighty hard to get a date if you are a dude living at home with Mom and Dad. I know it would send my friends running away fast if they found out a guy lived with his parents! Probably not such a stigma with girls, I guess.

FWIW, I blew out of there one week after my 18th. Whew!

We are DINKs on FIRE. Just he and I and 5 cats who think we w**k for them. Still paying a mortgage but its under 500/mo. so it is not killing us.

Two humans, one soon to be dead dog.

Last mortgage payment in 1981. Bought current house with cash and hadn't sold the old one. What's rent?

We are DINKs on FIRE. Just he and I and 5 cats who think we w**k for them. Still paying a mortgage but its under 500/mo. so it is not killing us.

Dogs have owners,
Cats have staff.

two , no kids, herd of cats, and a 4.99 PenFed mortgage taken out to pay off another mortage we took out to pay off a higher interest yet loan on some apartments .

Two Humans, two dogs, one cat, 4 big fat goldfish and a six inch suckerfish - Leroy The Magnificent and a bunch of houseplants I don't know the name of - and a 30 yr 5.78% mortgage.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom