Liz Weston article in Sunday LA Times

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I saw this in the LA Times today. An insightful reader questioning the logic that many financial planners use to estimate required expenses in retirement. I thought Liz's answer was pretty accurate given the limited info she was provided.

You can find the article here: How to figure income needs for retirement - latimes.com

I will cut and paste a snippet

How to figure income needs for retirement

Dear Liz: None of the Web-based tools I've seen really get at the heart of the problem of how much I really need in retirement. For example, if I am diligent and save 20% of my income (I earn over $150,000), why would I need to replace 95% or even 80% of my income to maintain my standard of living in retirement?

Answer: The further you are from retirement, the harder it can be to predict how much you'll need when you get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this in the LA Times today. An insightful reader questioning the logic that many financial planners use to estimate required expenses in retirement. I thought Liz's answer was pretty accurate given the limited info she was provided.
+1. No detail understandably, but I agree she covered the major bases pretty well.

I don't see anything wrong with the 70-80% as a starting point - some people are clueless and/or lazy about budgeting, it's better than nothing for them. IME, unfortunately the clueless are more common than those who have a handle on their spending/budget. I don't think anyone has ever seriously suggested that the 70-80% is some universal truth - any more than 4% SWR is.

Some people will actually spend much less, and some much more in retirement - all depends on how your retirement lifestyle/activities compare to pre-retirement. No one can/should guess what any individual should use as a $ or %...but if the questioner is clueless, you could do worse than suggest 70-80% as a starting point, and offer some caveats (like the linked article) for the questioner to ponder.

Last edited:
Especially if "most" people budget in retirement the same way they budget before retirement.

I enjoyed the article. It always drove me nuts because a lot of financial planners don't necessarily SAY that the 70-80% is a starting point. They state it as-a-matter-of-factly.

It should be based solely off spending habits and potential future spending habits, not income.

+1 I think the 70-80% that is frequently used as a starting point is meant to represent take-home pay and assumes that the people spend all of their take home pay, so it probably isn't a bad place to start. It needs to be adjusted for any after-tax savings or other things like additional mortgage payments, loan repayments, college costs that will end, etc. to try to get to what the person is spending on living costs.

She has an interesting point on the U shaped spending pattern as we age. I wonder if there is any way to model that in firecalc instead of the Bernicke which uses a reduction to flat type function. Maybe by manipulating the additional spending/income parameters.

Back
Top Bottom