Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I never talk about money with anyone outside the family (except of course with you guys). I don't mind talking about the usual taboos (politics, sex and religion), but I quickly bail out when the topic of money comes up in the conversation whether it is about investments, retirement or whatever. It seems to work: I have never been asked for money by anyone outside the family. I think that lending money to a friend is the best way to spoil that friendship. Lending money to family members is just as bad, the difference is that blood ties are harder to break (By the way when it comes to lending money to family, I am 0 and 3 on getting that money back).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dh lends friends small amounts, nothing over $100, we lend to his kids and they've been very good about paying us back. When lending to the kids I look at it as a gift, if they pay us back it's a bonus. I tell him if his friends don't pay him back then they weren't friends to begin with, he's only lost one friend for non payment.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually don't lend money either, but I made an exception.

This is a debt consolidation loan for a friend. I pretty much know his financial situation and income level, etc. This will help him bump up his credit score by clearing all the CC debt that his X-spouse ran up and help him keep his house.

Everyone knows people that fall into 3 categories...people who you would never lend money to, people who would probably pay you back, and people who will do what ever it takes to pay you back. My friend falls into the last one.

I remember about 16 years my F-I-L lent my wife and I 5k to help us buy our 1st house. We've come a long way since then.

I knew this topic would start a big discussion.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
I usually don't lend money either, but I made an exception.

This is a debt consolidation loan for a friend. I pretty much know his financial situation and income level, etc. This will help him bump up his credit score by clearing all the CC debt that his X-spouse ran up and help him keep his house.
We did this for my stepson, he needed to pay off the soon to be exwife and consolidate his bills. We drew up a loan agreement, he went over his finances with me and things looked okay. Dh was concerned but so far things have gone well, he pays the agreed amount on time every month.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #25

About 34 years ago I was a college freshman and my older sister was a college senior and newly married. I had always been a saver and she had always been a spender. Even after returning all their wedding gifts for cash, she and her husband were broke. They wanted to move and get a new start. She asked my parents for money and was refused. She asked me for a small loan and I said yes. I had the money, wasn't using it and wanted to help them out. They paid me back within about 6 months.

Here we are in 2007. I am still a saver, she is still a spender. But her husband #2 is in far better circumstances than the first one and can accommodate her retail lifestyle. We never mention that I loaned her that money back when she was in a tough spot. She is very kind and generous towards me and my family. I think we just have an understanding.

I don't think I would do that for anyone else.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I am pretty much against loaning to friends and family too, but I must say I would not be where I am financially, if it were not for a family member loaning me $9,999 dollars to have extra cash in the bank to start my business, the person also cosigned on my loan, as banks were very unwilling to loan a 21 year old 100 grand.

Long story short, I wouldn't be about to retire at 30 without the persons generosity and love. They even let me pay my business loan off early, and then pay them back (they refused money till I was debt free).

That being said this was a situation with utter trust on both sides, and they knew I would do well. They knew I had been saving since a child to open my business.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #27

I lent money to a friend twice, knowing that she was receiving divorce settlements to cover it. I told her after the second time that it was the last time I was going to do so and then said no when she came back a third time after blowing through her settlement.

Otherwise, no.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #28

with some exceptions, i have lent money always assuming it would never be repaid, and that i would be reasonably comfortable with having made that "gift". as you might expect, i don't do this very often.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
I am pretty much against loaning to friends and family too, but I must say I would not be where I am financially, if it were not for a family member loaning me $9,999 dollars to have extra cash in the bank to start my business, the person also cosigned on my loan, as banks were very unwilling to loan a 21 year old 100 grand.

Long story short, I wouldn't be about to retire at 30 without the persons generosity and love. They even let me pay my business loan off early, and then pay them back (they refused money till I was debt free).

That being said this was a situation with utter trust on both sides, and they knew I would do well. They knew I had been saving since a child to open my business.
what kind of business did you start, if i may ask
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Restaurant.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send your friend to prosper.com and offer to vet their finances and write an endorsement so they can get the money more easily.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a group on Prosper.com and loan money on there.