Join Early Retirement Today

Local RE check
Old 05-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Local RE check

Out of curiosity, I just looked in my 'hood on www.realtor.com to see what is up. Asking prices are way down. The only house currently for sale in my immediate neighborhood that is not under contract started out asking $425k maybe a month ago and is now down to $379k. But I saw several other properties with "just reduced" and "submit all offers!" tagged on the listing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Local RE check
Old 05-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's over an 11% drop in price! I wonder what the next year will hold for prices? What's really driving this decline IMHO is buyers saying to themselves, "If this house has been reduced so much I'll just wait till next year and save even more." If enough buyers do that and sellers get desperate enough there goes the soft landing.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We're getting that here, but whats coming off is the frothy top that shouldnt have been there in the first place.

In my area, a typical house in the area sold for $175k 5 years ago, $250k 3 years ago, and you could have gotten about $400-425k for it late last year or early this year. Maybe $360k or so right now. Thats still pretty high. Those 400k+ prices were stupid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Prices are still high here. Houses in our neighborhood (35 year old, 1500 sq-ft track homes) were gong for $250K-$300K five years ago, and $550K-$600K last year. They are currently still running over $525K, but they are staying on the market a lot longer, 3 months now versus about 3 weeks last year.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino
Prices are still high here.
Where? Just curious.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Where? Just curious.
An hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Sonoma County, CA. Lots of wineries and grapes around here.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino
An hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Sonoma County, CA.* Lots of wineries and grapes around here.
Which explains the IBWino...good on ya!!!
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

From an earlier post/thread:

I would say that I still think the Kitsap penninsula in the pacific northwest is still a good opportunity. Reasoning...

Still low unemployment, good jobs and great location to Seattle. A new bridge and ferry system upgrades also is quite appealing, you can commute by ferry to numerous areas. Prices have shot up admittingly but still are a FAR cry from Seattle homes. Also people in California are attempting to sell down there and profit (while they still can) getting jobs here and literally are paying cash for homes here. Also the military has expanded here providing even more jobs to the area.

The area is still somewhat rural in it's feel and big country lots can still be found for privacy at a cost. I still don't think we here will see a bottom for a while but prices should slow down as they have been incredible. But we have a lot of catching up to do to catch up with Seattle and surrounding areas pricing. I still think it's a good buy here but even I am a bit more cautious but always looking for a deal and keeping inventory low.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

this is not a misprint: "$1,900,000 2 Bed, 1 Bath 1,812 Sq. Ft."
lololololol welcome to south florida. the rules are different here.

my area in broward county

feb 2006
39 houses for sale
$712,902 average price
$627,000 medium price

may 2006
59 houses for sale (about 10 of those newly proposed)
$743,330 average price
$650,000 mean price

mom's area in palm beach county

feb 2006
34 houses for sale
$6,118,352 average price
$6,950,000 medium price

may 2006
32 houses for sale
$5,583,375 average price
$4,495,000 medium price

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere

I would say that I still think the Kitsap penninsula in the pacific northwest is still a good opportunity.* Reasoning...

Still low unemployment, good jobs and great location to Seattle.* A new bridge and ferry system upgrades also is quite appealing, you can commute by ferry to numerous areas.* Prices have shot up admittingly but still are a FAR cry from Seattle homes.* Also people in California are attempting to sell down there and profit (while they still can) getting jobs here and literally are paying cash for homes here.* Also the military has expanded here providing even more jobs to the area.
I could not believe the traffic volume north of Bremerton on Hgy 3 last week.* We used to have that pavement all to ourselves.*

~Close the doors, they're comming in the windows!~* Remember folks, it rains so much here that our kids are born with hip boots.*
Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere
Which explains the IBWino...good on ya!!!
I think the prices are driven up by companies moving (or expanding) from Silicon Valley into Soloma county.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in Santa Clarita Ca - for those of you not familiar with California - that is in the northern part of Los Angeles county - prices here have stabilized the last few months but have not dropped. According to my realtor, demand is still pretty strong but homes are taking longer to sell.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #13

Los Angeles /orange county , Single family dwellings, in the burbs ,prices are about flat last 6 mo, Low single digit increase in better areas, single digit drops in the outlying areas. *
Exception , downtown LA, New Lofts , and conversion of old buildings, still growing at fast pace, 500k-1.2 mil. * A lot to pay , for living a couple of blocks from Skid-Row !!!!!!! When you walk on those streets , you get "Aroma Therapy" at no extra charge.