Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Long Term Care Insurance
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanently Unemployed
My policy has a 5% compounded increase. Depending on the daily cost of either a nursing home, assisted living or home care, it sould cover me from 3 to 10 years.
My annual cost is "currently" $1366. Next year, if the cost remains the same, it will be $945 after LTC tax deduction.
I forgot to mention that my total coverage in today's dollars is $241k.

My policy does not have a premium increase guarantee. They haven't raised the rate for their existing customers for over 7 years so I assume they will have an increase in the next few years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Does you policy include any type of premium increase guarantee?

REW
No, the policy is guarenteed renewable for life but it states that "We may change the premium rates. Any change will apply to all policies in the same class as yours in the state where the policy was issued". So far there have been no premium increases.

Grumpy

Old 06-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #23

My spouse and I signed up for LTC when the gov started offering it to fed employees. I think that we are signed up for 5 years and 5% increase each year (started at $100.00 per day). There was talk about being able to possibly get it cheaper from another company, but I felt more secure getting it through the gov plan. Hopefully, if the company ever defaults, then the gov would come up with another company. Who knows, but it makes me sleep better at night. BTW, I think I am the first person in my family that has ever purchased LTC and as far as I know, still the only one.

Dreamer
Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #24

Way back when this thread was active I said I would post any premium increase when my and DW's LTC policies from CNA came up for the 10th year renewal. I just got the invoices in the mail and the increases are 15%:

My policy: from $862 to $ 991 per year
DW's policy from $677 to $779

With the escalation provision the policies now provide $163 per day benefit (50% for home health care) with no lifetime limit and 30 day exclusion.

I guess I should check out the current rates for the Gov't LTC program - they were not competitive when the program first came out. Even with the increase in premiums ($1770 combined cost for both of us) it still seems like a good value to me. If investments continue to do well we may be able to self insure in a few more years. Until then I will keep the policies in effect.

Grumpy
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #25

Wow - I just used the calculator on the Fed LTC website to get a quote for comparable polices for both of us. For me it would be $3180 per year and DW $3048! Starting our policies at age 50 was a good move. The 10 years of premiums we have paid so far would be equaled in only 2.5 years under the gov't program if we switched now.

To get comparable premiums to our current policies we would have to reduce benefits to $100 per day, 3 year max benefit and 90 day exclusion.

Grumpy
Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Way back when this thread was active I said I would post any premium increase when my and DW's LTC policies from CNA came up for the 10th year renewal. I just got the invoices in the mail and the increases are 15%:

My policy: from $862 to $ 991 per year
DW's policy from $677 to $779

With the escalation provision the policies now provide $163 per day benefit (50% for home health care) with no lifetime limit and 30 day exclusion.
Thanks Grumpy. I do appreciate you following up with this post.

Wow, I am very surprised they only increased 15% after no increase for 10 years. Seems like all the stories I've heard involve increases of 50% or more. Our CNA 10 year guarantee of premium doesn't expire until May of 2010, but your report is encouraging compared to what I'd feared. And yes, I realize my mileage may vary...

I guess the next question is how much and how often your premiums will continue to increase now that you are out of the guarantee period. I'd be interested in hearing about any future adjustments if you're willing to share.

Once again, thanks.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
To get comparable premiums to our current policies we would have to reduce benefits to $100 per day, 3 year max benefit and 90 day exclusion.
Thanks, Grumpy. May I ask your age? I gather it is 60ish, but just for reference.

I am led to believe that the major bump for LTC claims occurs in the late 70s and early 80s. Your current increase doesn't sound too bad. I wonder if they hold this one down to retain policies and 5-10 years from now when it statistically is most dangerous, the premiums would rise faster.

Seems worth hanging on to for now.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #28

Thanks, Grumpy. 15% over 10 years ain't too bad, I could handle that.

Hopefully my LTC premium increases will be comparable in years to come!! I'm glad I started mine early too.....10 days after I turned 50. The agent said the company allowed them to back-date the policy up to 2 weeks (it's actually in writing in the policy), so I got in at 49 and saved about $40-50 per month.

But like car ins, and homeowner's ins......I hope I NEVER need it!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

More coverage for less $$$ ?

DW and I just shifted our LTC to the "new" John Hancock Group LTC sponsored by my former employer. Maximum Daily and Maximum Lifetime payment both went up for a small decrease in premium.

Believe me, the both of us went over the coverage with the proverbial fine tooth comb and can't see any downside.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Thanks, Grumpy. May I ask your age? I gather it is 60ish, but just for reference.
I turned 60 this past February (I try not to think too much about that ).

Grumpy
Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #31

Quote:

I am led to believe that the major bump for LTC claims occurs in the late 70s and early 80s. Your current increase doesn't sound too bad. I wonder if they hold this one down to retain policies and 5-10 years from now when it statistically is most dangerous, the premiums would rise faster.

Seems worth hanging on to for now.
I hope that we will be in a position to self insure well before that point.

Grumpy
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:

Grumpy
I've just had mine less than 10 years. Bought when I was in my 40"s. My preminum did go up 50%!!!! I thought it was very cheap when I bought so I'm OK with the increase. In almost 10 years I still have paid only enough to cover about two months of care. My policy is the best with lifetime/home care/inflation etc. One thing to consider is that most will let you decrease coverage. I'm still young enough that the lifetime coverage is important but if the increases get too much when I'm older or I decide to pay out of pocket I can always decrease the coverage and I'll still be paying the rate someone would if they bought the lesser coverage when I originally purchased.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #33

Quote:
I am led to believe that the major bump for LTC claims occurs in the late 70s and early 80s. Y
Quote:
I hope that we will be in a position to self insure well before that point.
Yep. I bought LTC coverage for DW and myself when we were 52 and 53 respectively. My intent was to treat it somewhat like term life insurance...keep it for a limited time period until we reached the point we could self insure.

The only potential fly in the ointment is what I've been hearing regarding huge rate increases. If Grumpy's example holds true for us, we can stay on plan. As I've stated previously, if rates skyrocket I may drop a policy on one of us and keep it on the other. Of course the trick will be deciding which to keep...

Old 09-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If your policy allows you to reduce coverage in return for reduced premiums, it might make sense to do that as you get older, if the premiums become too high. Nothing is for sure, but:
If you go into a nursing home at age 60, you might live another 20 years.
If you go into a nursing home at age 80, probably only a few years left.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
If your policy allows you to reduce coverage in return for reduced premiums, it might make sense to do that as you get older, if the premiums become too high. Nothing is for sure, but:
If you go into a nursing home at age 60, you might live another 20 years.
If you go into a nursing home at age 80, probably only a few years left.
Not accurate, Jim. The 60 year old in a nursing home is there for a reason and does not have a 20 year life expectancy. 3 years is closer to the average length of stay til celestial discharge, in many cases. Late 70s and early 80s are typical for a non-rehab nursing home stay.

And therein lies the dilemma with LTC. You can be paying relatively cheap premiums which seem like nothing; you might win big (premium to benefit-wise) if you need a long early NH stay but more likely you will not need any NH stay or, if you do, you will be 80ish (think 30 years of escalating premiums into the several thousand a year range) and use up 3 years of benefits which probably will provide only partial coverage. But by the time you are 70 and have 20 yrs of "skin" in the game, it would be tough to drop despite high cost,

It's a classic insurance dilemma but in this case there is more uncertainty than usual (costs by then, Medicare, SS variables, medical advances, carrier survival). I don't know the answer, but have personally deferred LTC and hope to self-insure if savings and returns permit. Tough decision, LTC.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Thanks, Grumpy. 15% over 10 years ain't too bad, I could handle that.
Yes, but lets hear what the increases are in each of the next few years. 15% annual bumps every year for the next 10 years could result in sme large dollar amounts.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yes, but lets hear what the increases are in each of the next few years. 15% annual bumps every year for the next 10 years could result in sme large dollar amounts.
Yep. The 15% bump after a 10 year rate hold could be just a teaser.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:

Grumpy
Sounds like you got 10 years of nest egg protection at a pretty cheap price and have locked in a reduced preminum in the forseeable future. Sounds pretty smart to me. Do you regret not claiming on the policy?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

LTC Insurance is just like any other insurance - it's for catastophic protection.

Unlike many people, my family has has spent massive amounts of money for nursing care with three grandparents living up to 90 and one with Alzheimers for seven years because LTC wasn't common and they didn't have it. On top of that, my mother was in a catastrophic car accident that resulted in permanent traumatic brain injury. Thankfully, we have LTC, although unfortunately, there was a premium increase and my parents opted to lower their coverage only a month before the accident.

With the cost of LTC getting into the $80,000 range, I'm surprised that many people could self insure.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am hoping to self-insure in the event of LTC, but have seen the devastating effects on a portfolio if one needs advanced care like a nursing home,and there's not a lot of assets available to help pay it..........

Costs are climbing fast for LTC coverage........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote