Join Early Retirement Today
Long term care insurance rates going up
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Long term care insurance rates going up

Long term care insurance rates going up 40% starting next spring?

Premium hikes loom for long-term care insurance - Personal Finance blog - Money Magazine's More Money

LTC is an obvious hole in my plan. I know little about LTC insurance. But it seems to me that if the industry itself doesn't understand the economics, how can I possibly make an informed decision about whether to insure or not?

DoingHomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Lots of threads on LTC

(FAQ archive): Long-term care (LTC) and LTC insurance

... and a more recent one this year on increasing rates by John Hancock

John Hancock raising Long Term Care rates 32%

and anther recent LTC thread here

Long Term Care Insurance

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Yes.. they claim their experience has been greater than projected.

Makes one wonder... aggressive pricing would capture a large market... after the customers have bought in... they either exit with no claims paid (profit in years past), or they pay up because they are locked in or enough invested that it is difficult to view it as a sunk cost.

I am in a group plan. Different insurance company. The rates are fairly low. If it goes up 40%... it will still be a fraction of the cost of individual policies I have compared on quotes.

Still... as with any health care service (and consequently costs)... they are rising rapidly. Premium will track the cost.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I have had LTC policies from CNA for 12 years and I have been expecting premiums to go up, based on what others have reported here. We just received our premium bills for the coming year and our rates are still unchanged from the time we got the policies. I don't know why we have been able to dodge that particular bullet this long but I'm not complaining.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote