Long Term CD's - What Happens to FDIC Insurance?

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is not really retirement related but here goes:

I help manage the finances and investments for our home owners association. We recently placed several jumbo CD's for 3 to 5 year terms ($225,000 each). The increased FDIC insurance limit of $250,000 is scheduled to expire after 2013. Does anyone know if these will be "grandfathered" with the higher insurance limit if the increase is not made permanent?

The $250K amount was made permanent in 2010:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]$250,000 Federal Deposit Insurance Amount Now Permanent [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]New consumer protection bureau also part of major reform law
[/FONT]
The far-reaching financial reform law approved by Congress and signed by President Obama in July includes a variety of new protections for bank customers, including a permanent increase in the basic federal deposit insurance limit from at least $100,000 to at least $250,000 per depositor. Under prior law, the basic federal deposit insurance limit was set to revert back to $100,000 on January 1, 2014.

"With this permanent increase of deposit insurance coverage to $250,000, depositors with CDs (certificates of deposit) above $100,000 but below $250,000 will no longer have to worry about losing coverage on those CDs maturing beyond 2013," said FDIC Chairman Sheila C. Bair.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
FDIC: FDIC Consumer News Summer 2010 - $250,000 Federal Deposit Insurance Amount Now Permanent

Rewahoo,

Thanks, don't know how I missed that.

Rewahoo,

Thanks, don't know how I missed that.

I missed that also. Thanks for the post. Now all we need is some good CD rates. I see ads in the paper every day for 3.5% etc. for 6 month CD's.
These are with financial institutions that act as CD finders. Say they are FDIC insured.

I missed that also. Thanks for the post. Now all we need is some good CD rates. I see ads in the paper every day for 3.5% etc. for 6 month CD's.
These are with financial institutions that act as CD finders. Say they are FDIC insured.

What's that saying... If it sounds to good to be true....

Back
Top Bottom