Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't see any relevance to a death in the house, unless a) the house "caused" it through some dangerous feature or b) the person died of a disease like anthrax that could leave potentially deadly spores.

If the neighborhood itself isn't crime-ridden, then why does a violent death matter? Do people suppose the murderers are waiting for a new owner to show up so they can kill you, too? Now, a house that has been broken into more than once: I might worry that it has security issues, such as backing to a cheapo neighborhood (common enough in rapidly expanding areas like the Raleigh-Durham Triangle).

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We bought a place to later learn the original owner was killed in an accident mowing around one of the ponds. Later we found out his ashes had been scattered around the property. Really didn't bother us. When I realized the Ford 8N we had bought with the property had at some point been rolled, it all clicked. I was operating the same machine the fellow died on mowing around the same ponds.

I still would have bought the place.

The 8N did get a "third brake" installed to prevent the brush hog powering the tractor when the clutch was disengaged; probably the cause of his death.
Creepy, did you wash it or paint it ?

We bought a house, the fellow was pretty decent about his death, went for a private plane ride and it crashed. So no new carpeting

Old 06-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have to worry about the house I was looking at, offers over listing price have come in, so I'm out, no longer a bargain price.

On the same subject , many years ago, a rental townhouse near where I was living had a triple murder by arson. Drunk party guest was thrown out , returned about 4am, got the front door open , dumped a can of gas and a match. The 3 occupants upstairs were killed. Relatively new structure, fire damage could be easily repaired , but the owner decided to tear it down, and rebuilt on the existing foundation. I think most of the cost came out of his pocket, no insurance co. I know of would do more than repair.

I was a teenager at the time, a real eye opener on life . Still get a sick feeling when I drive down that block.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

So, for those of you who would shy from a murder-scene house, what exactly is you concern? That "bad spirits" will remain in the home to torment future occupants?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
So, for those of you who would shy from a murder-scene house, what exactly is you concern? That "bad spirits" will remain in the home to torment future occupants?
Don't you go to the movies or read Stephen King novels? Dead people become angry ghosts and stick around to do all kinds of nasty things to new inhabitants.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless it's brand new, every house will have experienced births and deaths and illness, happiness and sadness and pain and joy. I personally like houses that have been lived in, and have never felt haunted by previous occupants.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Don't you go to the movies or read Stephen King novels?
Reminds me of reading Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" in a cemetery on a slow midnight shift. It just added a certain realism to the book.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

What's a California thing? Please let me know of your state so I can make sweeping generalizations.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
Unless it's brand new, every house will have experienced births and deaths and illness, happiness and sadness and pain and joy. I personally like houses that have been lived in, and have never felt haunted by previous occupants.
As far as I know, there have been no births or deaths in the houses I have lived in. I strongly suspect there have been a few conceptions.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
What's a California thing? Please let me know of your state so I can make sweeping generalizations.
Eh, he probably just meant maybe it's a California thing (because the OP's in Cali?) to require disclosure of same.

There was a violent death of a child by her father a few years ago in a nearby town. When the house went on the market, the potential buyers/looky-loos were prescreened before they could tour the property. It was on the market for a long time.