Join Early Retirement Today

Looking at HPF
Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking at HPF

Check it out: this thing is a closed end fund which invests in preferred stocks on a leveraged basis. They use swaps and short treasury futures to reduce interest rate risk, and it sells at a 10% discount to NAV. Yields 9.5% and about 80% of income is treated as dividends for tax purposes. I see that it has a fair bit of credit risk (lots of BB names, some B, some BBB), and heavy exposure to utilities. However, it looks pretty attractive to me. Anyone see something different?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Looking at HPF
Old 06-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like JPZ better

It doesn't have the same discount (it trades at a 6% premium) but I like the strategy better.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been buying HPF for about a year in my IRA. On a total return basis I am just slightly positive due to the share price decline. It is currently selling at aroung 9 to 10% discount to NAV. I intend to hold it for a long time and collect the dividends.
hogbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #4

Interesting fund Brew. I've added it to my watch list. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #5

Speaking of decent deals on closed end funds----FVD is not a bad one. Not like Brew's but yet another dividend oriented fund. Strategy is ok and yield is decent but sells at a 8-9% discount to NAV. But thought I would throw it out there but I think one would better off owning a dividend oriented fund or ETF with lower exp ratios. FVD is around .9

Full disclosure I watch FVD but do not own it
Old 07-01-2005, 06:41 AM   #6

BDT and BDV are two more
Old 07-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #7

Mornin' Brewer!

Did you see that story yesterday about utility CEFs? If you missed it I'll find the link. It basically said that (like REITs) the train has left the station.

HPF took a bit of a hit but bounced. Whats your take?

I'm still watching. Havent bought any yet.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I saw the thing on utility funds. The difference is that utility ETFs are holding the common stock (equity) of the utilities, while funds like HPF hold the preferred stock (bond-like) of uilities and other companies. The ETFs are vulnerable because yield-hog investors have beeen buying up anything that pays fat dividends, and to many (myself included), it has been overdone. If the long bond keeps spiking, you will see some of the air come out of dividend strategies.

The same thing affects HPF and other holders of preferred stock, since the underlying asset is bassically a junk or marginally investment grade bond. However, you get paid a LOT more yield and you get to buy the portfolio at a discount to NAV (unlike ETFs of any kind).

The thing with HPF is that you have to be at least moderately sanguine on the utility industry as a whole and comfy with a wad of credit risk and some interest rate risk to buy it.

- George Orwell

Old 07-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Stupid questions
In traditional stock/bond portfolio allocation, where would you put prefered stock?

In a book I read, Ben Stein placed it in stock. But it seems to behave like a bond like brewer said.

If it should be classified as a bond, could it substitute for corporate bonds?

Mike
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know what eveyone thinks about ben stein but here is his list of close ended preferred stock funds
BPP
DNP
FFC
HPI
HPF
HPS
JTP
JPS
JHP
PFD
PFO
PSY

Additionally he has these listed as funds that invest entirely in securities taxed at the dividend rate (preferred and ordinary stock).
PDF
PDT
DIV
PGD
PPF
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Stupid questions
In traditional stock/bond portfolio allocation, where would you put prefered stock?

In a book I read, Ben Stein placed it in stock. But it seems to behave like a bond like brewer said.

If it should be classified as a bond, could it substitute for corporate bonds?

Mike
Preferreds are technically stock, but they behave like subordinated bonds. When you see "preferred stock" think "bonds".

- George Orwell

Old 07-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Don't know what eveyone thinks about ben stein but here is his list of close ended preferred stock funds
BPP
DNP
FFC
HPI
HPF
HPS
JTP
JPS
JHP
PFD
PFO
PSY

Additionally he has these listed as funds that invest entirely in securities taxed at the dividend rate (preferred and ordinary stock).
PDF
PDT
DIV
PGD
PPF
PSY is "closed-end" but still "preferred" . Hmmm?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Preferreds are technically stock, but they behave like subordinated bonds.* When you see "preferred stock" think "bonds".
Yep!
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote