Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a tax efficiency calculator
Old 01-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for a tax efficiency calculator

I read this article with interest:
https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...vy-withdrawals

So I'm looking for a calculator that will help me determine how to withdraw my funds from my various accounts (401K, IRA, Roth, Taxable etc.) in the most tax efficient way, including doing Roth conversions.

Anyone know of a simple to use calculator that would handle those 2 issues?

Raymond01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

I do not know of a 'simple' one, but I know about i-orp

I suspect a simple one wouldn't really work well because it's a complicated problem.

For people doing i-orp for the first time, I have a few standard warnings...

First, set aside a bunch of time (don't be in a hurry) to read about all of the inputs.

And finally one 'gotcha' (that got me) was how the equities/bond split thing worked. i-orp will preferentially sell bonds (because of the lower rate of return), but in reality, for most people, the asset allocation will continually be adjusted back to your target (across all tax categories). For that reason, you should put the SAME equity/bond split % in all tax categories. This way, the optimization will not use the asset class rates of return as a 'lever', and instead use taxes exclusively.

Also, I recommend using the 'extended' version (look towards the bottom and find the link). I figure if you're going to do a model, use all of the input and do a few 'what if' runs that have Roth conversion 'on' and 'off'.

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I-orp is the only one I know of that does that.

https://www.i-orp.com/TaxRepeal/index.html
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The whole article is a pitch for Fidelity's wealth management. They know iorp is the only tool, they want to pitch their service. How many Fidelity folks haven't seen a teaser for this service? I've had several.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I-orp is the only one I know of and its not the greatest.

What you are asking for isn't that hard in reality as long as you track where you are tax wise for the year.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the input so far. I messed with I-Orp but didn't have much luck.

I think there are 2 issues for me.

1. My wife and I retired at age 52. Per the I-Orp documentation:
There can be some interesting results for early retirees. Spending is increased by inflation every year. Tax-deferred Account withdrawals are fixed at the same level before the age of 59. If there are sufficient funds in the After-tax Account the difference is made up from there each year. If the After-tax Account is small then the fixed withdrawal will be larger than necessary during the early years and the excess is transferred to the After-tax Account. Then the After-tax Account is used to cover the difference between spending and Tax-deferred Account withdrawals during the years just before 59, or the 5 year expiration.

2. I haven't used a 72t so I should be able to use this feature explained in the documentation, but I don't see these options on the tool:

Early Retirement Tax-deferred Account Distribution Strategies.
Early Retirement (ER) is defined by ORP to be the ages between retirement and 59 1/2, the age at which you can withdraw from your tax advantaged accounts without the 10% early withdrawal penalty. The IRS has rules about withdrawing from your Tax-deferred Account during ER. ORP offers you these options:

Does anyone have experience with these issues before I email the support person?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe I'm wrong here, but my NQ generates enough income in dividends, and there's really not much I can do about it other than sell these highly appreciated assets. Aren't many others on this site in the same predicament?
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Mods, could you please expand the thread subject to some thing "Looking for a calculator to help with tax-efficient ER withdrawals", or something like that, rather than the vague teaser with the "..."? Thanks.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Mods, could you please expand the thread subject to some thing "Looking for a calculator to help with tax-efficient ER withdrawals", or something like that, rather than the vague teaser with the "..."? Thanks.
Good call.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #10

Fixed (I hope)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I do not know of a 'simple' one, but I know about i-orp

I suspect a simple one wouldn't really work well because it's a complicated problem.

For people doing i-orp for the first time, I have a few standard warnings...

First, set aside a bunch of time (don't be in a hurry) to read about all of the inputs.

And finally one 'gotcha' (that got me) was how the equities/bond split thing worked. i-orp will preferentially sell bonds (because of the lower rate of return), but in reality, for most people, the asset allocation will continually be adjusted back to your target (across all tax categories). For that reason, you should put the SAME equity/bond split % in all tax categories. This way, the optimization will not use the asset class rates of return as a 'lever', and instead use taxes exclusively.

Also, I recommend using the 'extended' version (look towards the bottom and find the link). I figure if you're going to do a model, use all of the input and do a few 'what if' runs that have Roth conversion 'on' and 'off'.
These are great tips, thanks much!
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Roth conversions is an important but separate question. After you’ve chosen that course, keeping your taxable income as (inflation adjusted) level year after year is probably the best practice. It’s not rocket surgery. There couldn’t be a “calculator” without knowing future tax rates, but that’s an unknown....

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond01 View Post
Thanks for the input so far. I messed with I-Orp but didn't have much luck....Does anyone have experience with these issues before I email the support person?
This is a good forum for "getting used to it" questions, I think.

The help text is explaining the reality of the IRS rules, and those rules are baked into the simulator.

So it's just warning your that if you spend all of the money in your after-tax accounts, then there's IRS penalties for pulling from retirement accounts before 59 1/2. One alternative to get around the penalties is to set up a 72t. The question for you is "are you going to run out of after-tax money before 59 1/2?" Most people answer 'no' to that. Not everybody. But none of this will affect your model run if the sum of your after tax accounts (also Roth basis, since there's no penalty for using that either) is enough to cover your spending between now and 59 1/2.

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote