Looking to invest in Fidelity funds

Knowing that retirement could last 30 years a conservative portfolio may not be in my best interests but I want to sleep at night.

What percentage of your portfolio did you have in mutual funds/equities before 2011? What would you like it to be going forward?

I think controlling our emotions is the biggest factor in successful investing. It's easier to do this if you simply ignore all financial news.

Another option may be to find a financial advisor to help you weather bears.

Another option may be to find a financial advisor to help you weather bears.
Cheaper yet (by far) is to spend time here participating in (mostly) rational discussions to 'stay the course' rather than paying a third party to hold your hand.

Last edited:
Someone risk averse with a 3-5 year (or longer) horizon would probably find Vanguard Wellesley to be an attractive option. Does Fidelity have anything similar?
Not really. He's better off buying in a Vanguard account.

Cheaper yet (by far) is to spend time here participating in (mostly) rational discussions to 'stay the course' rather than paying a third party to hold your hand.

Good point. But I thought we also have a fair number of market timers (and closet market timers) here too?

OP, Do you have a dedicated client rep? Have they helped you with the planning tools to determine your ideal asset allocation? If no, call them.
Don't let them sell you anything, but my yearly review helps. They will make fund recommendations. You're going to have to ensure, the ER. Is ok or just stick with Spartan funds.
MRG

Not really. My Fidelity Roth IRA is finally old enough that I can switch the funds out of Vanguard. I am not a Boglehead, although I understand the viewpoint.
Huh?

Buying Vanguard funds like Wellesley incur a $50 transaction fee at Fidelity, so better off buying such a fund at Vanguard. And, no, Fidelity does not have an equivalent mutual fund.

Last edited:
I use OAKBX, a balanced fund available at Fidelity. It's about 70% stock, with more cash than bonds right now. Lower volatility than a pure stock fund, but the long term performance is very close.

Huh?

Buying Vanguard funds like Wellesley incur a $50 transaction fee at Fidelity, so better off buying such a fund at Vanguard. And, no, Fidelity does not have an equivalent mutual fund.

Well, don't buy Wellesley. There are lots of funds out there.

i have used a newsletter for more than 25 years that caters to fidelity funds.

i have followed the models in fidelity insight since i started investing decades ago. i can put portfolios together in my sleep yet i still follow the newsletter.

why?

it gives me discipline , less stress making decisions and keeps me from myself.

that has given me great success as an investor .

i don't always 2nd guess myself, worry about thinking about my next move all the time and it keeps me from thinking i know better and trying to outsmart things.

@Mathjck107 - Are those portfolios bases on active or passive funds?
MRG

If you buy Wellesley in one big chunk the one time $75 fee (looks like VWINX is $75 not $50) is not too bad. And unlike other places, the fee is only charged when you buy. So you can sell piecemeal in retirement without extra fees. In a situation like that, with a reasonable holding time, $75 might end up being equivalent to a 0.01% ER or less. Just don't rebalance by buying a few more shares.

One option to Wellesley if Buffalo Flex Income BUFBX)--it is a Moderate Allocation fund so more like Wellington but a M* 5 Star. BUFBX is a no NTF fund at Fido. Exp ration higher than Wellesley but out-performs both Wellesly and Wellington.
Nwsteve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom