Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

So sorry for your situation. I just spent 2 months with my dad of 80. They told us they thought he had pancreatic cancer. Took him to MD Anderson in Houston. They did a biopsy and it came back inconclusive. Did another biopsy and it came back the same. In the meantime he needed heart surgery. Long story short, I learned they cannot always tell with a biopsy if it is cancer or not unless they take the biopsy from an exact spot where the cancer is suppose to be. The Dr. at MD Anderson said in his professional opinion that my dad still had stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

So, they went ahead and did the aortic valve replacement in December since they couldn't say for sure if he had the cancer or not. He almost died several times during his recovery from the heart surgery because his blood pressure got so low. Fast forward, he is at home living independently and reached 81 years of age in January. So, never, never lose hope of any kind. If he did have pancreatic cancer, he would have been dead by now. So, my point is the best doctors in the world are not always right. Never, never lose hope and your attitude is a big part of it all. I will keep you in my prayers.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
So sorry for your situation. I just spent 2 months with my dad of 80. They told us they thought he had pancreatic cancer. Took him to MD Anderson in Houston. They did a biopsy and it came back inconclusive. Did another biopsy and it came back the same....

If he did have pancreatic cancer, he would have been dead by now...
It is interesting that your dad must have had some symptoms that parallel those of pancreatic cancer, else they would not do the biopsy to check that out. Is he still suffering from these symptoms?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Best wishes to you. Hoping for the best outcome.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope things turn out okay! Fingers crossed, hoping to hear about a positive outcome.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear this. Best of luck with your treatment.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry to hear of your medical problem. Stay strong, hope the treatment helps.
Praying for your recovery.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry to hear this. *IF* it turns out to be pancreatic cancer, you take solace in that treatments have come very far in recent years. My DW works with someone who was given 3 months to live, but a newer treatment was quite effective and she is living a very good life several years after her diagnosis.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here on this forum, whenever the word c* comes up, people talk about MD Anderson. I heard of this medical chain, but have no experience nor know anybody who does.

Can anybody do a community service to point out some statistics about different medical centers that treat cancer? Survival rates would be highly relevant. Next would be cost.
Good point on MD Anderson. I have heard over and over how *great* it is, but the only patient that I was familiar with was Rory Feek (country singer) who had cervical cancer. Unfortunately, she did not survive.

Edit...sorry, she went to the Cancer Center of America
Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here on this forum, whenever the word c* comes up, people talk about MD Anderson. I heard of this medical chain, but have no experience nor know anybody who does.

Can anybody do a community service to point out some statistics about different medical centers that treat cancer? Survival rates would be highly relevant. Next would be cost.
MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system. It does have several locations in the Houston area as well as a few outside of Texas. It was created to be a comprehensive cancer center.

US News and World Report ranks MD Anderson #1 in the US giving it a score of 100/100.

I am not sure that looking at cancer survival rates along is the best way to assess cancer care. MD Anderson has a lot of people who travel from out of town to get care because their cases are difficult and not treated well elsewhere. It has access to some cutting edge treatments that aren't available elsewhere. In short, I would guess that as a group many MD Anderson patients are sicker than average (for cancer patients).

Years ago I had a friend who received treatment there for a difficult cancer. She consulted with several places before choosing MD Anderson. The place that was her second choice (another fine facility in the Houston area) told her flat out that MD Anderson was better for what she needed. Anyway, she had some tests at multiple place and was struck with how careful and thorough MD Anderson was.

We are actually planning to move out of the Houston area but still within Texas. One factor which argued against the move was MD Anderson not having offices in Texas except near Houston. That said, if I ever had cancer I would at the very least get a second opinion from MD Anderson.

As for cost - on my current insurance MD Anderson is in network for my insurance. It does take Medicare. A few years ago when all the PPOs vanished from Houston one of the controversial things was that MD Anderson was not in network on any ACA plans. I think that is still the case but I'm not sure.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Good thoughts for you coming from me too. Please come to us for whatever support you may need - comfort, advice, distraction, whatever. We may just be pixels on a screen but there are real people behind the accounts and we like to help each other.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system. It does have several locations in the Houston area as well as a few outside of Texas. It was created to be a comprehensive cancer center.

US News and World Report ranks MD Anderson #1 in the US giving it a score of 100/100.

I am not sure that looking at cancer survival rates along is the best way to assess cancer care. MD Anderson has a lot of people who travel from out of town to get care because their cases are difficult and not treated well elsewhere. It has access to some cutting edge treatments that aren't available elsewhere. In short, I would guess that as a group many MD Anderson patients are sicker than average (for cancer patients).

Years ago I had a friend who received treatment there for a difficult cancer. She consulted with several places before choosing MD Anderson. The place that was her second choice (another fine facility in the Houston area) told her flat out that MD Anderson was better for what she needed. Anyway, she had some tests at multiple place and was struck with how careful and thorough MD Anderson was.

We are actually planning to move out of the Houston area but still within Texas. One factor which argued against the move was MD Anderson not having offices in Texas except near Houston. That said, if I ever had cancer I would at the very least get a second opinion from MD Anderson.

As for cost - on my current insurance MD Anderson is in network for my insurance. It does take Medicare. A few years ago when all the PPOs vanished from Houston one of the controversial things was that MD Anderson was not in network on any ACA plans. I think that is still the case but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the info. Locally, they have recently opened a center where I live, in cooperation with a local hospital.

It is true as you point out that a center that deals with difficult cases may have a lower success rate than average. Statistics however classifies cancer survival rates according to the stage of the disease.

For early stages of cancer, the treatments would be standardized, and I don't think MD Anderson will not do anything differently than a lesser known center. And if there is a waiting list to get to MD Anderson, one may do better getting immediate treatment somewhere else.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

You’re not done yet my friend! Take it from me. I thought I had nut cancer once and colon cancer another time. I was freaking out both times. Turned out to be nothing both times. You have not gotten your results back yet. Try to relax. Thoughts and prayers out to you my brother. Keep us informed.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Looks like I'd gambled and lost
Old 03-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #53

Looks like I'd gambled and lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

+1
MD Anderson may be one of the best things about Houston. People not only from other states, but other countries, travel to Houston to seek treatment for their cancers at MD Anderson. They are on the leading edge of treatment for all the types of cancers. Their capabilities are huge in terms of the number of patients served. Having been there with my dad during his Lymphoma treatments I’ve seen the multiple floors of packed chemo treatment rooms. It’s simultaneously impressive (the load they can handle) and depressing (to see so many folks of all ages battling cancer).
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Fingers crossed.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with the diagnosis and my prayers are with you.

I live on the north side of Houston (25 years now). My next door neighbor has had colon and breast cancer and MD Anderson has got both in remission for several years now. She is 72 and living a full life these days.

My BIL from North Carolina was suffering from kidney cancer about 5 years ago and was told by facilities is the Carolina's and NY state that they could do no more for him. He flew to Houston and stayed with us for a couple of weeks while MDA worked on him. He survived for a few more years and finally passed, but they apparently helped him make it for those few more years.

Like others said, they seem to have a great track record.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #56

I am so very sorry to hear this, Bondi688. I agree with the others that said you made the very best decision for yourself, at the time that you made it, and think now of the present and the future.

My brother, died at age 45 in 2001, but we could not get him to seek care at a better hospital. He only went to the local hospital. He was already stage 4 lung cancer, so it might not have made a difference. However, I agree with the others in urging you to go to a top cancer treatment facility. There have been tremendous discoveries in cancer treatment since 2001.

I hope for a great biopsy diagnosis for you. If you need treatment, I hope you get the best of care. I hope that you have friends and family to surround you for support.

I wish you the very best and I will be praying for you also. Please keep in touch and feel free to vent when needed. You have a lot of people pulling for you.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #57

I'm so sorry to hear about this...but it's not for sure yet and you have to stay strong. We are all pulling for you and praying for you. Keep in touch...
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #58
Administrator

I'm so sorry to hear about this Bondi688. It may be faint comfort, but I give you the words of Alfred, Lord Tennyson. From his poem Ulysses

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #59

Sending good thoughts and prayers.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Joeea.
Thanks for the sage advice. I am 68, never been married, no heir.
I'm sure that waiting for the biopsy results pushes everything else out of your mind right now.

But, regarding SS, in some cases people can get a "redo" back to their Normal Retirement Age.

See this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...its-80023.html

This made it a little easier for me to rationalize waiting.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote