Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'm sure that waiting for the biopsy results pushes everything else out of your mind right now.

But, regarding SS, in some cases people can get a "redo" back to their Normal Retirement Age.

See this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...its-80023.html

This made it a little easier for me to rationalize waiting.
You can get 6 months worth of "redo", but no more than that.
You cannot go from 68 back to 66.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You can get 6 months worth of "redo", but no more than that.
You cannot go from 68 back to 66.
The links I provided seem to say otherwise. The key is to "file and suspend" at NRA, not to just ignore NRA.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system. It does have several locations in the Houston area as well as a few outside of Texas. It was created to be a comprehensive cancer center.

US News and World Report ranks MD Anderson #1 in the US giving it a score of 100/100.

I am not sure that looking at cancer survival rates along is the best way to assess cancer care. MD Anderson has a lot of people who travel from out of town to get care because their cases are difficult and not treated well elsewhere. It has access to some cutting edge treatments that aren't available elsewhere. In short, I would guess that as a group many MD Anderson patients are sicker than average (for cancer patients).

Years ago I had a friend who received treatment there for a difficult cancer. She consulted with several places before choosing MD Anderson. The place that was her second choice (another fine facility in the Houston area) told her flat out that MD Anderson was better for what she needed. Anyway, she had some tests at multiple place and was struck with how careful and thorough MD Anderson was.

We are actually planning to move out of the Houston area but still within Texas. One factor which argued against the move was MD Anderson not having offices in Texas except near Houston. That said, if I ever had cancer I would at the very least get a second opinion from MD Anderson.

As for cost - on my current insurance MD Anderson is in network for my insurance. It does take Medicare. A few years ago when all the PPOs vanished from Houston one of the controversial things was that MD Anderson was not in network on any ACA plans. I think that is still the case but I'm not sure.
Even though we have some good medical centers here in the LI./NYC area, my mother was sent to MD Anderson soon after she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma back in 1991. She spent two long stretches (6-9 weeks) there in 1991 before returning home. Her disease was mostly under control for 4 1/2 years until she finally succumbed to it in 1991. Thanks to MD Anderson, she was able to lead a pretty normal life for those 4 1/2 years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #64

In no particular order.

MD Anderson, TX
Sloan Kettering, NY
Dana Farber, MA

The top 3 cancer treatment centers in the country.
If I have a reoccurrence they are the only places I would ever consider.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system.
It is a little confusing, as MD Anderson does have a "network" of affiliates across a lot of the US. These centers have some access to the expertise at MD Anderson, and have agreed to use the same evidence-based system for choosing treatment options. They also have to report their results to MD Anderson. These centers do feature the MD Anderson name heavily in their advertising, and I'm pretty sure Anderson makes money from this relationship. So, it is a bit like a "chain.". On the face of it, it does sound like a good way to improve cancer treatment beyond MD Anderson's center in Houston. In practice, I don't know how much of this is marketing and how good the treatment is out in the hinterlands. It might be great, I don't know.
My FIL was treated at MD Anderson, I went with him on a road trip for one of his treatments. It was an impressive place.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I'm a firm believer that our mental health affects our physical health, so please take care of your mental health, too, as you go forward.

Wishing you the best possible outcome.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #67

So sorry to hear that. I hope u dont have cancer. Im taking my SS at 62 or 63. Im not waiting till 70.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
The links I provided seem to say otherwise. The key is to "file and suspend" at NRA, not to just ignore NRA.
I have no idea what "NRA" means in this context, nor how it lets you go from 68 to 66.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #69
Administrator

MOD HAT ON

One of the great things about this site is that the members genuinely care for each other, as this thread abundantly demonstrates. In response to Bondi's post, many have shared encouraging words and anecdotes about their family and friends. We're certain that Bondi appreciates it. We surely do.

We have, however, been reminded by one of our physician members that treatment regimens and prognoses for any disease are both: a) highly individualistic and b) rapidly evolving, given new understanding and technologies. That is particularly true for this disease. Accordingly, we want to remind any who are reading this thread now or in the future that anecdotes are just that - one persons's story. It may not, indeed probably will not, apply to any other person. If you have a medical issue, you should always consult your own doctor and ask questions until you understand the answers. Because, for all our good intentions, we are still all just some guy or gal on the internet.

MOD HAT OFF
Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #70

Bondi, so sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope you have a good support system. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is interesting that your dad must have had some symptoms that parallel those of pancreatic cancer, else they would not do the biopsy to check that out. Is he still suffering from these symptoms?
They did an ultrasound and ran many tests before discovering a huge cyst or growth on the head of his pancreas. This then prompted the two biopsy. Seems, best guess now is it is just a cyst and at the age of 81 they won't do anything since he has no other symptoms. He had shortness of breath and that was about all the symptoms he had at first. Full work up was called for.

It was a very crazy two months for us and for him. One day he thought he was a goner in less than two months and then to have an aortic valve replacement to back to living independently in the last 4 months. It has been over 6 months since the cancer scare.

He did not have any blood markers for the cancer, yet the Dr. at M.D. Anderson that did the first biopsy stated in his professional opinion, my dad still had terminal cancer.

I believe there is always hope. I also, in my personal opinion, that God is in control of it all.

Thanks for your interest.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
MOD HAT ON

One of the great things about this site is that the members genuinely care for each other, as this thread abundantly demonstrates. In response to Bondi's post, many have shared encouraging words and anecdotes about their family and friends. We're certain that Bondi appreciates it. We surely do.

We have, however, been reminded by one of our physician members that treatment regimens and prognoses for any disease are both: a) highly individualistic and b) rapidly evolving, given new understanding and technologies. That is particularly true for this disease. Accordingly, we want to remind any who are reading this thread now or in the future that anecdotes are just that - one persons's story. It may not, indeed probably will not, apply to any other person. If you have a medical issue, you should always consult your own doctor and ask questions until you understand the answers. Because, for all our good intentions, we are still all just some guy or gal on the internet.

MOD HAT OFF
+1
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I have never been sick. I had never been hospitalized or had any surgery. I did not have to take any medication. My father. a two packs a day smoker, died of lung cancer at 83. My mother is still alive and quite lucid at 93. So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.
Hopefully everything works out for you.... However your concern about when to take Social Security is not relevant for your situation as you described it.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
They did an ultrasound and ran many tests before discovering a huge cyst or growth on the head of his pancreas. This then prompted the two biopsy. Seems, best guess now is it is just a cyst and at the age of 81 they won't do anything since he has no other symptoms. He had shortness of breath and that was about all the symptoms he had at first. Full work up was called for.

It was a very crazy two months for us and for him. One day he thought he was a goner in less than two months and then to have an aortic valve replacement to back to living independently in the last 4 months. It has been over 6 months since the cancer scare.

He did not have any blood markers for the cancer, yet the Dr. at M.D. Anderson that did the first biopsy stated in his professional opinion, my dad still had terminal cancer.

I believe there is always hope. I also, in my personal opinion, that God is in control of it all.

Thanks for your interest.
A pancreatic cyst and pancreatic cancer are different problems. I’m glad your dad is doing well.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
I have no idea what "NRA" means in this context, nor how it lets you go from 68 to 66.
I take NRA to mean Normal Retirement Age.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Bondi, hang in there. Lot's of folks are pulling for you here on this forum and, I'm sure out in the physical world!

Please keep up posted and lots of us will keep you in our prayers.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #77

Quote:
"Normal Retirement Age". I think they used "Full Retirement Age" on the page I linked. But they sometimes use "Normal Retirement Age" with the same meaning. For example: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/nra.html

Did you read the first post in the linked thread?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Bondi, I'm Gunny. Now we are friends so I can request prayer for you, my friend, at church this morning. Hang in there. The fat lady ain't even in the building.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Two thoughts to add.

First - when my wife was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (incurable blood cancer) at age 43, the consensus was for 3-5 years. That was in 2003, 15 years ago. She's not in the best shape today, but she's still with us, and kicking MM's arse. So don't succumb to general rules of thumb.

Second, completely agree on going to a recognized cancer specialty place for a complete work-up and consult. We went to the Mayo Clinic early on, and that visit gave us a more complete picture and lots of options for treatment. We've been back at least a dozen times, over the years - they are always up on the latest research and treatment possibilities.

Best of luck to you in your treatment!
sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bondi thinking about you and hoping for positive report.
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote