Join Early Retirement Today
Low-cost 401k?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Low-cost 401k?

I was helping my sister look over her 401k plan, trying to figure out what she's paying in fees. In general, it's a good plan - company match of a few percent, and some index fund options.

She's invested in the index funds and also some in the non-indexes. So my thought was to compare the costs because it seemed likely worth moving everything to the indexes. But when we clicked on the "expenses and fees" tab, all it gave were the expense ratios. These were all well under 1%, although the indexes were of course the lowest.

Are we missing something? I didn't know non-index funds existed that were as cheap as indexes. But we couldn't find anything anywhere that mentioned additional costs of owning the other funds. I know that 401ks are notorious for hidden fees, but don't they at least have to tell you what it costs to buy the funds?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
When we looked at DH's 401(k) online we could click on "transactions" and every month there was a small-ish red number for the administration fees for each fund he had $$ in. If your sister has online access maybe you can find it there?

The info on DH's funds was surely also buried in the annual required paperwork about the plan (six pages of fine print for each fund), but it was not publicized anywhere else.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My spouse is in a 401(k) plan from Hartford. In the yearly report it has a page on expenses and fees. It has the expense ratios of the funds (outrageous) and then a line that says
Other fees and expenses* 0.00%

The * at the bottom says something like "All other fees and expenses except other fees and expenses charged to the participant." Needless to say, there is another 1.25% in fees charged that is found in the fine print about 5 pages later. I guess their hope is that one stops looking after that early page.

Some plans from Megacorps have very low fees and expense ratios. Usually companies with less than 200 employees saddle the employees with huge fees in the 401(k).
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
These are good ideas, thanks. I'll have her take a look at the transactions and the paperwork, I'm sure she has that somewhere or can get it online.

It's a large company, so maybe it's not as bad as some.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Or she could call and ask.

As for expense ratios for actively managed funds: Vanguard has actively managed funds with low expense ratios. Where the expense for a 401K come in is in the administrative fee on top of OERs for funds. So the best you can do is to pick funds with low ER -- hopefully they fit your AA and are good performers.

-- Rita
Only got A dimple, would have preferred 2!
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote