Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know this little town in the Western Sahara called Laayoune. When I was there in 1970 it hadn't rained in 18 years so I guess that might be what you're looking for.

The cost of living was cheap too. Buy some camels and goats, find a nice oasis and kick back.

Like I said, low humidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dry.jpg (23.6 KB, 5 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
OMG, I pity the poor guy!!
Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.
LOL!!! Well, OK. As long as he likes it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I am looking for a low cost of living town with low humidity and thought I would ask the pro's.

Frackville ,Pa .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Frackville ,Pa .
Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: http://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html
Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.
Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch!

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $229,700 (it was $169,600 in 2000)
Fort Collins $229,700
Colorado: $223,300
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: http://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html

Rewahoo , Frackville ,Pa. is low cost of living yes but not a prime place to live unless you grew up there as I did ! I've been on cruise ships with more people than their entire population .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #29

Any small town in Sk. Canada. If you can live with <200 others and -45F in winter.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #31

That looks good

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $70,400 (it was $60,100 in 2000)
Roswell $70,400
New Mexico: $125,500
Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.
Good point. When I first moved out to CA from the Midwest. I had terrible allergies for 2 years or so. Finally got over them.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
Fort Collins, CO.
I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #34

It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykimeister View Post
Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.
I met a guy from Great Falls some years back while elk hunting in the Cascades. We were in our big tent with a wood stove going, all toasty. This guy was sleeping across the front seat in his car. We invited him in. He came in but said he had to get back out later as it seemed too warm for him. Then he told us stories of Great Falls and Northeastern Montana weather!

I guess it's dry, but is sure is cold too. Seems like the people from out there are very nice though. I remember being in a bar near the North Dakota border. A North Dakota Chain Saw was hanging on the wall. A bow saw with a link chain where the blade would be. Humerous guys too!

Ha
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I used to go to kindergarten in Roswell. What do I remember about it? Not much. Apparently, I didn't learn everything I needed to know in kindergarten.

You must have some other criteria besides low cost and low humidity though? How about access to an international airport for travelling? Access to medical facilities? Access to friends and family?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?
It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roswell walmart.jpg (464.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Roswell is a very small town. Not much goes on there, except for the Area 51 stuff. Las Cruces is a better place, University town. Close enough to get to El Paso, as well as Ciudad Juarez, MX.
wheel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

How about Flagstaff, Arizona? Close to the Grand Canyon, 2 hours to Phoenix, you can visit Sedona and go home to the same size house for 1/3 the price, etc. What's not to like?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote