Low cost of living town with low humidity?

Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

Ouch!

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $229,700 (it was $169,600 in 2000)
Fort Collins $229,700
Colorado: $223,300

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

That looks good

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $70,400 (it was $60,100 in 2000)
Roswell $70,400
New Mexico: $125,500

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

Good point. When I first moved out to CA from the Midwest. I had terrible allergies for 2 years or so. Finally got over them.

Fort Collins, CO.
I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

I met a guy from Great Falls some years back while elk hunting in the Cascades. We were in our big tent with a wood stove going, all toasty. This guy was sleeping across the front seat in his car. We invited him in. He came in but said he had to get back out later as it seemed too warm for him. Then he told us stories of Great Falls and Northeastern Montana weather!

I guess it's dry, but is sure is cold too. Seems like the people from out there are very nice though. I remember being in a bar near the North Dakota border. A North Dakota Chain Saw was hanging on the wall. A bow saw with a link chain where the blade would be. Humerous guys too!

Ha

I used to go to kindergarten in Roswell. What do I remember about it? Not much. Apparently, I didn't learn everything I needed to know in kindergarten.

You must have some other criteria besides low cost and low humidity though? How about access to an international airport for travelling? Access to medical facilities? Access to friends and family?

Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?
It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...

Attachments

• roswell walmart.jpg
    roswell walmart.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 6
Roswell is a very small town. Not much goes on there, except for the Area 51 stuff. Las Cruces is a better place, University town. Close enough to get to El Paso, as well as Ciudad Juarez, MX.

I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.

How about Flagstaff, Arizona? Close to the Grand Canyon, 2 hours to Phoenix, you can visit Sedona and go home to the same size house for 1/3 the price, etc. What's not to like? :)

The cost of living for Flagstaff shows to be 22% above the US average.

Hope you do better than this with your financial advice... ;)

Well, if you follow his financial advice then you'll have sooo much money that it feels like a low cost area:D

The cost of living for Flagstaff shows to be 22% above the US average.

Hope you do better than this with your financial advice... ;)

When I was out there 3 years ago, there were a lot of affordable homes OUTSIDE of Flagstaff proper.

Shouldn't you be practicing carrier landings or soemthing??;)

Thanks you gave me something to think about. I guess if I moved I should rent for a while.

Fort Collins, CO.

Was just there last week. I thought it was a neat town and a definate possibility for a retirement destination if you want a college town.

When I was out there 3 years ago, there were a lot of affordable homes OUTSIDE of Flagstaff proper.
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect things might have changed a little in the past three years. The COL index shows the average price of a home in Flagstaff to be 59% higher than the US Average. But for all I know a doublewide out in the county somewhere could be a real bargain. ;)

Shouldn't you be practicing carrier landings or soemthing??
No one in their right mind tries to land an airplane on a moving postage stamp....

It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

I was through there a couple of years ago. It seemed like a nice little town, the locals have learned to take the hype about Area 51 in stride; many are cashing in on the fascination. Lots of T-shirt shops, aliens on the lamposts, etc. The Crash Site Cafe was good. It is a long way from Roswell to anywhere else, though. Ruidoso looked a little better to me. Roswell is also very windy.

Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX depending on what you consider low cost of living.

Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX depending on what you consider low cost of living.

I have alwys liked El Paso. The Mission trail going south and east out of El Paso is really interesting.

http://www.co.el-paso.tx.us/History/missiontrail.htm

But I am not sure I would deliberately move onto the border now. I saw a TV program a few days ago about Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. Nasty situation. US teens being recruited into Mexican drug gangs, becoming way more violent, etc. That border has never meant much, and Mexican drug gangs have become extremely rich and powerful.

Overall, I think the US population other than those who live along the border are not up to speed about the current conditions down there.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom