Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Low interest rates
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #21

Hey brewer.............I don't care what equities will
"probably" do. Not a bit. Just taking the GMAC example,
unless they default (or call the bond) I get 7% in a
monthly check for 20 years. Maybe we won't have inflation. Maybe I'll be dead. Maybe other
investments won't get close to 7% in the next 5 years. Does not matter. What
I want is a predictable cash flow EVERY month.
I wouldn't touch any publically traded common stock
with your ten foot pole either. I can not understand why retired folks with a small pile still invest in common
stocks. I do appreciate your
input. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Rating-agency politics
Old 11-30-2004, 08:03 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Rating-agency politics

Quote:
Is this something to worry about?
Maybe, but it could also mean that GMAC paid S&P instead of Moody's to evaluate their bonds...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #23

Quote:
I have COLA'd SS and 50% of my net worth in real estate. I am still waiting to hear SOMETHING
concrete to show me the error of my ways.
Bring it on!
You're right, you are protected by inflation with the 50% in Real Estate.

However, if you are looking for safety, most all financial experts agree that the Real Estate is more risky than a Well Diversified Portfoilo of Stock Mutual Funds.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

You're right, you are protected by inflation with the 50% in Real Estate.

However, if you are looking for safety, most all financial experts agree that the Real Estate is more risky than a Well Diversified Portfoilo of Stock Mutual Funds.
Maybe the "experts" agree but in a real melt-down, the real-estate could be a lot more useful. Everyone needs a place to live and a way to get food. A computer entry somewhere that says you "own" a stock index fund might only be good for laughs in some extreme situations...unlikely though that might be
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #25

Quote:

Maybe the "experts" agree but in a real melt-down, the real-estate could be a lot more useful. Everyone needs a place to live and a way to get food. *A computer entry somewhere that says you "own" a stock index fund might only be good for laughs in some extreme situations...unlikely though that might be *
Risk is not measured only by a 'Melt Down'. Owning 1 stock that goes bust when the economy is doing fine is an example.

Owning Real Estate is like owning one stock. Your real estate could be in a Flood Plain, in a Crack neighborhood or if you are really lucky in an area of very high demand and skyrocketing prices.

I'm not sure what you call a 'Melt Down', but if it's a depression style meltdown, most real estate depreciated to gut wrenching lows during the early 1930's also.

Real Estate is higher on the 'Risk Scale' than Stocks. - Mostly because of Low Liquidity. Also since everyone seems to 'Love' real estate right now, I'll be a Contrarian and 'Love' Stocks.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #26

Hi Cut-Throat! I have "loved" real estate forever,
whereas my dalliances with common stocks convinced
me long ago of their fickle nature. Anyway, real estate
is a lover who never let me down. (there is a metaphor with personification cleverly included ). Any problems I have had with real estate
were strictly my fault.

John Galt
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm not sure what you call a 'Melt Down', but if it's a depression style meltdown, most real estate depreciated to gut wrenching lows during the early 1930's also.
My main point was that no matter how depressed real estate values might become, one can still live in it or plant crops on it etc. It has intrinsic value, unlike a stock certificate which is just paper, or even cash for that matter. It isn't diversified, but then it's utility does not depend upon the whims of Mr. Market. This is a somewhat unique attribute. So, in a severe crash I could still be eating while you contemplate a ruined portfilio. I think it depends how you define risk.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My main point was that no matter how depressed real estate values might become, one can still live in it or plant crops on it etc. It has intrinsic value, unlike a stock certificate which is just paper, or even cash for that matter.
Your "ownership" of that land is nothing more than a "piece of paper" too. Particularly in some of the "doomsday" scenarios that those advocating mason jars of gold coins are worrying about.

Look at the land issues in places like the Phillipines or Nicaragua under the right wing dictatorships they used to have (both sponsored by the US no less). Ownership of the land by "common people" was meaningless and anybody in the inner government circle or foreign companies (generally US companies) could have it for the asking.

Even in a more mundane "doomsday scenario" you're still going to be needing to pay those property taxes.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:59 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Bravo JG,stick with what you know.Id have to say demographics are on your side,location location location is prime concern.but then with your experience Im sure you probably heard that when i was sneakin beers illegally.Everyone has a different risk tolerance.Ask any ENE,WCOM bag holders.I wonder, was this board in exhistence around 3/2000?How many are still holding paper stocks from the wonderfull downdraft years?Theres a piece of mind that comes with tangibles.Enjoy-ak
Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey brewer.............I don't care what equities will
"probably" do. *Not a bit. *Just taking the GMAC example,
unless they default (or call the bond) I get 7% in a
monthly check for 20 years. *Maybe we won't have inflation. *Maybe I'll be dead. *Maybe other
investments won't get close to 7% in the next 5 years. *Does not matter. *What
I want is a predictable cash flow EVERY month.
I wouldn't touch any publically traded common stock
with your ten foot pole either. *I can not understand why retired folks with a small pile still invest in common
stocks. *I do appreciate your
input. *We'll just have to agree to disagree.

John Galt

Fair enough. Good luck with your GMAC bonds.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote