Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Lower your returns Now!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 54
Re: Lower your returns Now!

Quote:
I am a littlle more agressive with equities than
most at age 70. *However, I am comfortable with
a 60/40 split. *Ironicallly,
if my stash were bigger, I would probably be more
conservative. *
Charlie,

I too follow a 60/40 split for our portfolio as well as that of my 91 year old mother, but my rationale is different. It seems to me that you determine how many years of future income you need in fixed income securites to be comfortable, and let that guide your asset allocation. In my mother's case, the 40% in fixed income securities is more than 15 years of her annual draw, so I feel justified in allocating the other 60% to equities.

db
__________________

__________________
db is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Lower your returns Now!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:03 AM   #22
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lower your returns Now!

Hello db! Now there is an explanation for having
a 60/40 equities/fixed income allocation that even I would not dispute. Pretty safe planning, unless you are
counting on your mother's estate funding your ER, a
questionable approach IMHO.

John Galt
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Lower your returns Now!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 54
Re: Lower your returns Now!

Quote:
*Pretty safe planning, unless you are counting on your mother's estate funding your ER, a
questionable approach IMHO.
John,

My wife and I have been retired for more than 10 years, and, except for the RMD from an IRA I inherited from my dad, we have not drawn from our IRAs. I am the sole heir of my mother's estate. She draws a bit under 3% annually for her living expenses.

db
__________________

__________________
db is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charlie Munger promises lower returns for Berkshire-Hathaway Nords Other topics 5 12-10-2005 11:30 PM
how are returns computed? zakenjanei FIRE and Money 6 02-26-2005 02:24 PM
Annualized Returns JWR1945 FIRE and Money 3 07-25-2004 10:26 AM
Interesting study on P/E ratios & expected returns Cb Other topics 2 06-30-2002 10:48 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.