Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: LTC - how do you plan to manage/cover this risk?
purchase LTCI 31 18.24%
Purchase Life insurance with LTC rider 1 0.59%
Self Insure -- how are you doing this? 81 47.65%
Purchase annuity that could be used for LTC, distributed other wise 1 0.59%
Other 7 4.12%
Roll the dice -- no real plan (yet) 49 28.82%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2015, 06:19 AM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I'm not saying anyone does or does not need to self insure or take out LTCi. But there is no way to predict whether or not any of us will spend an extended time needing care based on what happened to our parents or in-laws. We're all different.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

all that matters to us mortals is that things either work out or they don't. we only get two options .

there is no middle ground like statistics apply to insurers.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hopefully, we will be able to book a one-way ticket to the Netherlands. I have read they are willing to help our exit from this world and make it as nice and humane as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist..._United_States
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

Just to note, while my FIL would have liked to have taken this option 3 months ago, he was in no condition to meet the requirements of the law in Washington state due to his strokes. What needs to be allowed is the acceptance of an advance directive in case he was incapacitated but could still acknowledge he wanted the directive followed. It was questionable if he could meet the requirements of the law after his second stroke and totally out of the question after his third stroke only two weeks later. He wasn't terminal after his first stroke, it was the series of strokes that made his condition terminal. It would be compassionate if the law allowed an advance directive for cases like his.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

The assisted suicide law in the US only applies to patients with less than 6 months to live due to a terminal illness. From what I have seen and read, the typical terminal cancer patient does not have a problem waiting to expire naturally. A few months is not that long. In the end, they do get good help from hospices. It is the people who do not want to linger a long time with debilitating physical conditions, are tired of being bedridden and wearing a diaper, that have no way out.

A while back, I read a story about how Japan has a growing number of elderly people who are confined to bed, wearing a diaper and getting fed by a tube to their stomach. They or the family in the beginning could deny having a tube inserted to allow death by starvation, but once a tube is inserted, it is considered murder for anyone to remove that tube. So, they get stuck and live in limbo for years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

This is the very definition of Hell on Earth. Then again, I see analogies to the growing trend of prolonging the lives of aged pets, without regard (since we cannot know) what the animals themselves would prefer (but I bet I can guess).

Quote:
T
A while back, I read a story about how Japan has a growing number of elderly people who are confined to bed, wearing a diaper and getting fed by a tube to their stomach. They or the family in the beginning could deny having a tube inserted to allow death by starvation, but once a tube is inserted, it is considered murder for anyone to remove that tube. So, they get stuck and live in limbo for years.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Very thankful to be canadian. If i was in usa i would think i would want either 250k minimum set aside to self insure or a gold plated ltc plan which would cost equivalent amount in annual premiums. Living in canada shaves years off your fire date
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #128

Quote:
I read a story about how Japan has a growing number of elderly people who are confined to bed, wearing a diaper and getting fed by a tube to their stomach. They or the family in the beginning could deny having a tube inserted to allow death by starvation, but once a tube is inserted, it is considered murder for anyone to remove that tube. So, they get stuck and live in limbo for years.
This is something I'm familiar with. When my father developed esophageal cancer, it turned into a terminal condition before very long. He knew he was near the end, was comfortable with that, and made it plain that his only wish was to die without the pain and with some measure of dignity. So he carefully made out his advance directive and asked me to get him in the VA hospital (he was a disabled WW II vet).

I gave the hospital his advance directive and carefully explained his wishes to them. Unfortunately, they totally ignored it and put the feeding tube in his stomach against his specific written desire that this not be done. It added probably three months of misery to the end of his life and I never forgave them for that.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whew, my 85 year old dad went to a Yankee game last year came home had dinner and a Jack Daniels, then died quietly in his sleep. After reading this, I'm thinking we should be grateful.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #130

BC Lover, you should beyond grateful. Your father, and you by extension, won the death lottery. Sadly, my parents were not as lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
BC Lover, you should beyond grateful. Your father, and you by extension, won the death lottery. Sadly, my parents were not as lucky.
+1 Same here.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Very thankful to be canadian. If i was in usa i would think i would want either 250k minimum set aside to self insure or a gold plated ltc plan which would cost equivalent amount in annual premiums. Living in canada shaves years off your fire date
How do you figure that? You don't really think that your health insurance and LTC insurance are "free" in Canada do you.... you (collectively) pay for it just like we do, just in a different form.

I am curious though which country has more early retirees. I'd be surprised if it was substantially different.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

For non-US readers, I want to say that just because you do not have money does not mean they will throw you out on the sidewalk to die. The state will pay for nursing home cost for indigent people, but you must pay your money first. In other words, you cannot expect to leave your stash to your offsprings, while the state picks up the cost of the nursing home. Some posters want more comfortable arrangements or nicer nursing homes, and there the sky is the limit.

I think other countries also have means-tested elderly care, meaning it is limited to the indigent. Or if it is open to all, I suspect that most people would want to pay extra to get beyond the basic accommodations. "All you can eat" is just too expensive for health care for any country. Of course, I may be all wrong here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #134

Quote:
For non-US readers, I want to say that just because you do not have money does not mean they will throw you out on the sidewalk to die. The state will pay for nursing home cost for indigent people, but you must pay your money first. In other words, you cannot expect to leave your stash to your offsprings, while the state picks up the cost of the nursing home. Some posters want more comfortable arrangements or nicer nursing homes, and there the sky is the limit.

It is also worth noting that the majority (I think) of states have filial responsibility laws that enable them to sue seeking reimbursement from one or more of your children if they so choose. Granted, to date, these laws have not been aggressively enforced, but that may be changing.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
It is also worth noting that the majority (I think) of states have filial responsibility laws that enable them to sue seeking reimbursement from one or more of your children if they so choose. Granted, to date, these laws have not been aggressively enforced, but that may be changing.
29 states to be exact with a few lawsuits in PA.

Northwestern MutualVoice: Who Will Pay For Mom's Or Dad's Nursing Home Bill? Filial Support Laws And Long-Term Care
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post

I cant say with any honesty that I am disappointed my state isn't one of those 29 states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I cant say with any honesty that I am disappointed my state isn't one of those 29 states.

Looks like Texas is in the same category.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Looks like Texas is in the same category.

What is interesting about the list, is you would be hard pressed to find any "Red" or "Blue" pattern from it.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #139

It would be cheaper to fly to the Philippines and have 10 maids serve you night and day for the price of these nursing homes.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

If 1 spouse goes in the nursing home the other can remain in their home until the first spouse dies or until the 2nd spouse goes into a nursing home then Medicaid can use the home to pay back what Medicaid has paid. Been through this a few times with relatives, etc.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote