LTC -- how do you plan on covering this risk?

LTC - how do you plan to manage/cover this risk?

• purchase LTCI

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Purchase Life insurance with LTC rider

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Self Insure -- how are you doing this?

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • Purchase annuity that could be used for LTC, distributed other wise

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Roll the dice -- no real plan (yet)

Votes: 49 28.8%

• Total voters
This is the very definition of Hell on Earth. Then again, I see analogies to the growing trend of prolonging the lives of aged pets, without regard (since we cannot know) what the animals themselves would prefer (but I bet I can guess).

T
A while back, I read a story about how Japan has a growing number of elderly people who are confined to bed, wearing a diaper and getting fed by a tube to their stomach. They or the family in the beginning could deny having a tube inserted to allow death by starvation, but once a tube is inserted, it is considered murder for anyone to remove that tube. So, they get stuck and live in limbo for years.

Very thankful to be canadian. If i was in usa i would think i would want either 250k minimum set aside to self insure or a gold plated ltc plan which would cost equivalent amount in annual premiums. Living in canada shaves years off your fire date

I read a story about how Japan has a growing number of elderly people who are confined to bed, wearing a diaper and getting fed by a tube to their stomach. They or the family in the beginning could deny having a tube inserted to allow death by starvation, but once a tube is inserted, it is considered murder for anyone to remove that tube. So, they get stuck and live in limbo for years.

This is something I'm familiar with. When my father developed esophageal cancer, it turned into a terminal condition before very long. He knew he was near the end, was comfortable with that, and made it plain that his only wish was to die without the pain and with some measure of dignity. So he carefully made out his advance directive and asked me to get him in the VA hospital (he was a disabled WW II vet).

I gave the hospital his advance directive and carefully explained his wishes to them. Unfortunately, they totally ignored it and put the feeding tube in his stomach against his specific written desire that this not be done. It added probably three months of misery to the end of his life and I never forgave them for that.

Whew, my 85 year old dad went to a Yankee game last year came home had dinner and a Jack Daniels, then died quietly in his sleep. After reading this, I'm thinking we should be grateful.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

BC Lover, you should beyond grateful. Your father, and you by extension, won the death lottery. Sadly, my parents were not as lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

BC Lover, you should beyond grateful. Your father, and you by extension, won the death lottery. Sadly, my parents were not as lucky.

+1 Same here.

Very thankful to be canadian. If i was in usa i would think i would want either 250k minimum set aside to self insure or a gold plated ltc plan which would cost equivalent amount in annual premiums. Living in canada shaves years off your fire date

How do you figure that? You don't really think that your health insurance and LTC insurance are "free" in Canada do you.... you (collectively) pay for it just like we do, just in a different form.

I am curious though which country has more early retirees. I'd be surprised if it was substantially different.

For non-US readers, I want to say that just because you do not have money does not mean they will throw you out on the sidewalk to die. The state will pay for nursing home cost for indigent people, but you must pay your money first. In other words, you cannot expect to leave your stash to your offsprings, while the state picks up the cost of the nursing home. Some posters want more comfortable arrangements or nicer nursing homes, and there the sky is the limit.

I think other countries also have means-tested elderly care, meaning it is limited to the indigent. Or if it is open to all, I suspect that most people would want to pay extra to get beyond the basic accommodations. "All you can eat" is just too expensive for health care for any country. Of course, I may be all wrong here.

Last edited:
For non-US readers, I want to say that just because you do not have money does not mean they will throw you out on the sidewalk to die. The state will pay for nursing home cost for indigent people, but you must pay your money first. In other words, you cannot expect to leave your stash to your offsprings, while the state picks up the cost of the nursing home. Some posters want more comfortable arrangements or nicer nursing homes, and there the sky is the limit.

It is also worth noting that the majority (I think) of states have filial responsibility laws that enable them to sue seeking reimbursement from one or more of your children if they so choose. Granted, to date, these laws have not been aggressively enforced, but that may be changing.

Looks like Texas is in the same category. ;)

What is interesting about the list, is you would be hard pressed to find any "Red" or "Blue" pattern from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would be cheaper to fly to the Philippines and have 10 maids serve you night and day for the price of these nursing homes.

If 1 spouse goes in the nursing home the other can remain in their home until the first spouse dies or until the 2nd spouse goes into a nursing home then Medicaid can use the home to pay back what Medicaid has paid. Been through this a few times with relatives, etc.

In New York if you avoid Probate court they can't recover Medicaid expenses. So put all accounts to transfer at death, put all real estate in Life Estate Deeds, problem solved.

If 1 spouse goes in the nursing home the other can remain in their home until the first spouse dies or until the 2nd spouse goes into a nursing home then Medicaid can use the home to pay back what Medicaid has paid. Been through this a few times with relatives, etc.

I think this goes beyond that scenario and is aimed at the children of the parents to pay any charges beyond what was covered.

I think this goes beyond that scenario and is aimed at the children of the parents to pay any charges beyond what was covered.

And I assume its only pertains to state where the parent resides. Fortunately mine ,though divorced, are still in my state. I need to figure out how to get 2 peoples licenses suspended and put on the "no fly list" in the next 5-10 years to minimize any undue financial risk. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The LTC insurance is very expensive, so we are putting aside some money in order to cover our needs. Will it be enough is hard to say but similarly I can ask could you overpay insurance company for an amount you may need? Will the insurance company you pay to be there when you need it?

In New York if you avoid Probate court they can't recover Medicaid expenses. So put all accounts to transfer at death, put all real estate in Life Estate Deeds, problem solved.

sorry - problem not solved .

while what you posted is true it is true with a big but and this can be very complicated . it is no where near as simple as you described it .

recovery and qualifying are two different things .

THE ISSUE IS YOU CAN'T QUALIFY FOR MEDICAID IN THE FIRST PLACE with those jointly held assets exceeding 14,250 except under 2 circumstances

To qualify for Medicaid, the recipient is limited to resources of no more than $14,250. However, certain resources are exempt, such as retirement accounts that are in the payout status or a home having an equity value of $786,000 or less.

Medicaid will count your IRA or 401k as an available source of funds to pay for your care, unless it is in payout status. "Payout status" means that you are taking at least the required minimum distribution out of your plan on a monthly basis.

If it's not in payout status, it may be beneficial to take the cash out and pay the income tax on it, and then transfer it to a trust. This avoids your retirement account being counted as a resource that you will have to "spend down" under Medicaid eligibility requirements. Instead, your money can be used for your benefit during your lifetime, and whatever is left can be passed on to your beneficiaries through the trust.

If the account is in payout status, your retirement assets are not counted as resources, but the monthly payments that you receive are considered income. If you are receiving Medicaid home care benefits, any excess income can be protected by a Pooled Income Trust . Use special trusts to guard cash, income, investments and other liquid assets). However, if you’re getting Medicaid nursing home benefits, the nursing facility is entitled to all of your monthly income except $50.

If you are receiving Medicaid benefits in a nursing home and your life expectancy is not very long, it may be to your children's financial advantage to leave the retirement plan in payout status and allow the nursing home to collect the income from your IRA or other plan while you are still alive. Upon your death, your kids, as your beneficiaries, can withdraw the balance in a lump sum or over time.

you can't just remove the recipients name from the assets if they go in to a facility since the 5 year look back period is in effect .

folks this stuff is very very complex and requires very skilled attorneys to navigate through.

usually a simple answer to a complex question is usually going to be the wrong answer .

today estate attorneys are avoiding a lot of the above because ny is a state that supports negotiations with medicaid .
rather than try to manipulate assets negotiations are being used to find reasonable amounts that a stay at home spouse can afford to pay without being impoverished over time .

of course though with ny offering total asset protection ltc plans our first choice is to take them up on it by purchasing 3 years insurance and avoiding all the other issues above .
"

http://www.wny-lawyers.com/2012/05/23/ny-medicaid-estate-recovery-law-repealed/

http://www.cutner.com/401k_IRA_Medicaid.html

Last edited:
The system is set up so a sophisticated person can shield most assets with estate planning, while the simple people get wiped out.

In a few months, we'll both be in our 80th year, so the planning is easier.

With somewhat limited assets, our plan is in the "other" category.

Already living in a CCRC (in regular home), ther are easy access roads to living in a needs covered apartment, if the house becomes too much to handle.. assisted living, nursing home, or Alzheimer unit... al in the same complex.

We do have $100/day LTC policies, purchased in 1995, with premiums that haven't gone up except for small increases in management costs. $2400 for both policies.

Today's outlook makes up good for another 12 years, assuming a 3 year stay in the nursing home... ie, if either of us should needs go to the nursing home, lifestyle would not change.

In the event of a major unexpected hit to our net worth, and the LTC was needed, the healthy spouse would remain in our home, and let Medicaid pay for the nursing home. I continue to be surprised at how few of the members here seem to be aware of this alternative. It allows for continuation of life in a normal manner without the upset of moving for the healthy spouse.

In effect, the medicaid solution avoids trauma, and obviates the sale of the residence. For us, it allows for simplified accounting, since the home value can be included as a liquid asset in planning. (You have to think on this.)

At this age, LTC planning becomes real. :LOL:

With medicine advances to keep people living longer and requiring help, yet more are "outsourcing" the cost to the state by transferring assets to their heir, no wonder the government is running out of money.

Self insure for me, but it's just done 'gut feel'. I would have been in the majority on the older poll (don't think we have good products to buy, don't trust insurance companies, etc).

Since I was trained as an Industrial Engineer, we formalize decisions. So I wanted to build a decision tree for the LTCi decision. Decision tree analysis -
Of course we just juggle the numbers to get the answer we want :)

Back
Top Bottom