Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

an experience with a much older policy that had more holes and vagueness to it than anything you will likely see today .

i know our policy language is very clear ,simple and precise as to what is covered and when

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nords had dealt with a much older policy with wording that would rival an old variable annuity .

today most if not all policy's are in simple english with simple requirements in order to get paid .

older policy's had loop holes and conflicting rules .

our partnership plan is 3 years insurance , then it is the perks we want after the insurance runs out .

bills are picked up by medicaid with no asset shifting , no asset look back , no trusts needed and most important no ridiculously low maximums on income for the stay at home spouse. it is great you do asset shifting or truets to protect assets . now try to live on the medicaid limits .

our partnership plan does away with all that

Good to know! So you are saying there's hope!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #23

i can only speak for my gensworth ny partnership plan . but i imagine today all of these policy's are cleaned up
Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3942 View Post
Good to know! So you are saying there's hope!
Merlin, please contact me if you want to know more of the actual details and my experience with John Hancock's long-term care insurance policy. The phrases "...wording that would rival an old variable annuity" and "that had more holes and vagueness to it than anything you will likely see today" are not the experience I had.

Why I Won't Buy Long-Term Care Insurance - Military Guide

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Merlin, please contact me if you want to know more of the actual details and my experience with John Hancock's long-term care insurance policy. The phrases "...wording that would rival an old variable annuity" and "that had more holes and vagueness to it than anything you will likely see today" are not the experience I had.

Why I Won't Buy Long-Term Care Insurance - Military Guide
Great article, Nords. It's a big sham. Not worth it.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #26

i would not consider a plan that was not a state partnership plan with perks . i could not give a rats butt about the 3 years insurance coverage i am paying for . i am really interested in the benefits after those 3 years are up .

we have 100% total asset protection , total income protection for the stay at home spouse . we have no look back , no asset spend downs, no irrevocable trusts needed .

as long as we pick a private home that will take medicaid 3 years later we are good to go . extended medicaid then pays the bills .

that is where the real value is . to have to first start with trusts and cut the stay at home spouse off from control of the assets and worse to live on an amount of income that represent impoverishment in nyc was not something i would want to do . just got our premium renewal last week and not a penny increase .
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw this note this morning:

Quote:
Genworth Financial (NYSE:GNW) has agreed to sell itself to China Oceanwide (OTC:HHRBF). That works out to $5.43 per share in cash, a puny 4.2% premium to Friday's close, but comes as Genworth announces more troubles with its long-term care business and an after-tax charge in Q3 of $275M-$325M. BTIG's Mark Palmer notes GNW would surely today have traded sharply lower than its most recent price of $5.21 were it not for the weekend sale. A conference call is set for 8:00 AM ET.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Saw this note this morning:

Wow. That's a biggie. A guy at our church sells a lot of Their LTC policies. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, although there are plenty of insurance companies in the US with foreign owners.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #29

I am self-insuring. If I am incapacitated forever, who need the money. If I am of sound mind, and get committed to a home, I am going to be the most party animal the world has ever seen.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Wow. That's a biggie. A guy at our church sells a lot of Their LTC policies. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, although there are plenty of insurance companies in the US with foreign owners.
Many..

I am sometimes surprised of the "inbreeding of the industry" . Some of these multinational insurance companies were called clients when I was employed.

One observation is they all had local flavor. I'm guessing it's different to say your effed in South Africa than in Iowa.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #31

Yup Genworth put me through the mill with all the paperwork requests and they never paid a dime.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #32

the funny thing is you hear sporadic story's about them not paying a dime , yet all are in trouble pricing these plans because they are paying out more then anticipated .

the stories vs the numbers do not add up .
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
the funny thing is you hear sporadic story's about them not paying a dime , yet all are in trouble pricing these plans because they are paying out more then anticipated .

the stories vs the numbers do not add up .
Makes sense to me:

(1) the policies were priced too cheaply
(2) policy holders are trying to extract what they're owed for LTC
(3) the insurance companies are trying to stem their losses by resisting payment of claims
Old 10-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Makes sense to me:

(1) the policies were priced too cheaply
(2) policy holders are trying to extract what they're owed for LTC
(3) the insurance companies are trying to stem their losses by resisting payment of claims
I headed over to an actuarial discussion board once I saw the news on the Genworth acquisition and the general opinion is that the policies were way underpriced. One major element was assumptions on lapse rates- lapses are good from the company point of view because they pay premiums for years then stop- so the company never had to pay claims. In the beginning, not having any history, they used lapse rates from disability insurance, which turned out to be too high (and thus over-optimistic).

Another was interest rates. Pricing included assumptions about what rates of return the company would make when they invested the assets underlying the reserves (money set aside from collected premiums that will eventually be needed to pay claims). They rates may have been reasonable at the time of pricing, but in this investment market they turned out to be too high- another over-optimistic aspect of pricing.