Join Early Retirement Today

Lucky or Good?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Lucky or Good?

A number of recent articles have suggested that those who have been able to retire early have just been lucky. Really? Maybe there are some who have FIRE'ed because of a windfall like a stock buyout or an inheritance. However, I suspect that the majority have just tried to follow the basic practices that we talk about over and over on this forum, i.e. LBYM, DCA, low cost index funds, asset allocation, re-balancing, etc.

So, how were the last few decades of investing compared to past history? Could FI reached by being by being "good" or did you need to be lucky? It sure didn't feel like such a lucky time: Black Monday, the 90's Recession, the Dot Com bubble, the Great Recession, 9/11, invasions of Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq, to name a few.

I've plotted the real returns of someone who was in the stock market for the last 20-years (the 25 and 30-year plots are similar). The red dot is the CAGR for the last 20 year period ending in 2013. You can see that the last few decades have been pretty typical for investing - about 55% of the time the stock market performed better. There is an old saying that goes, "It is better to be lucky than good" Maybe. But good is good enough when it comes to FIRE.

Zorba

(Details: S&P returns with dividends and inflation numbers from Bogleheads forum. The blue dots are the actual returns before binning. Look how badly the real distribution deviates from a Normal distribution (blue line)! A more balanced portfolio would be better but I used the data with the longest time series and doubled checked the basic result using broader market data starting in 1974.)
Attached Images
File Type: png real20.png (42.0 KB, 58 views)
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish I had been lucky or good. If so, I'd retired in my 40s, and not at age 53 or 54 (my current plan). I have been just so-so except deserving an A+ in LBYM.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was lucky, but I made my own luck. I got stock options with a smaller company that became a megacorp. However, a few years earlier I saw I was locking myself into the previous megacorp job and I addressed some deficient skills and took a chance when it came along and it all paid off. I didn't wait for luck to bonk me on the head.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lucky or Good...it is the same result.
MrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

We planned, both worked, scrimped (at times), saved consistently, kept our family small, and were fortunate enough to have secure jobs and no major disasters in life.

So a bit of both...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I drank and chased women all my life, then found a winning lottery ticket in the gutter and here I am. So, for me - pure skill and hard work.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I drank and chased women all my life, then found a winning lottery ticket in the gutter and here I am. So, for me - pure skill and hard work.
Lmfao
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

I prefer to think of myself as lucky and good. That's a good combo.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And all this time I've been wondering where that ticket went!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Anybody who tells my DW she was lucky had better duck!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

'Lucky' is used as an excuse to raise taxes on those who worked hard and lived below their means.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
Administrator

I was lucky to have worked for 3 different private companies who all had DB pension plans, and they all finished those plans AFTER I left, so I was grandfathered in. No way could I claim to be have been good enough to plan that.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
'Lucky' is used as an excuse to raise taxes on those who worked hard and lived below their means.
Meh, now its just a game. When I was at my peak earning years and killing myself to make the money, I did not relish handing over 35% or more of my income to various tax authorities, but I was philosophical about it. Now that I am at the opposite end of the scale, I will take everything that is legally mine to claim. I will almost certainly never get back what I put in, but that is life.

As for the rest....

"Oh Lord, its hard to be humble when you're perfect in every wayyyy..."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Can't distinguish between lucky or good. But maybe it's not necessary to do so.
whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was good first, so when some luck came my way later on, I was in a position to capitalize on it to retire as early as I did (at 45, 5 years ago).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was lucky. Of course I made the explicit choice to go work for a small startup rather than Megacorp right out of engineering school, but the company could have very easily gone under those first few years. Most startups fail. So I consider myself lucky.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #17

What articles are we referring to in this thread? I don't remember seeing anything on this topic recently.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #18

Neither lucky, nor unlucky, nor good. Never hit any IPO or other windfalls. Never panicked out at a bottom or got a devastating turn of events. Weathered layoffs, divorce, misc ups and downs. Just kept plodding along and LBYM. It was good enough.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Neither lucky, nor unlucky, nor good. Never hit any IPO or other windfalls. Never panicked out at a bottom or got a devastating turn of events. Weathered layoffs, divorce, misc ups and downs. Just kept plodding along and LBYM. It was good enough.
Exactly. Other than the divorce part it pretty much sums up my story as well as many others.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My father used to always tell me that "luck is when perpetration meets opportunity"....... I just wish I didn't have to prepare so damn hard to get lucky!!
Pleeplus is offline   Reply With Quote