Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For a cost of $364k and a monthly benefit of $1848, Excel says you have a negative return until you've received payments for 16.5 years. At 20 years you have made 2.04%. At 25 years it's 3.63%. At 30 years it's 4.52%. At 35 years it's 5.05%. At 40 years it's 5.39%. At 100 years it's 6.08%.

So if you can do better, take the lump sum. Otherwise take the annuity.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had this lump sum vs annuity conversation with good friend recently the consensus was
1. Annuities may make sense if you partner isn't financially astute and you are worried that they couldn't properly manage a lump sum.
2. Inflation is the enemy of the fixed annuity and it exposes the annuity holder to a tremendous an often under appreciated amount of risk
3. Purchasing a portfolio of dividend stocks may prove to be a better alternative. The ETF IDV pays roughly 4.5% - if you lived on the dividends there is no reason you couldn't live to be 100 and be financially fit. Most importantly the dividends and principle will grow over time.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Thats what the financial planner said, either works so i have to find where my comfort zone lies.
It doesn't have to be either/or: it could be both. You could take the lump now and annuitize half of it at a time of your choosing. (Personally, when faced with this decision, I took the lump. Just felt it gave me more options and control).
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #24
gone traveling

I would consider annuitizing the in the future, but no sure if i would need to, i guess the only thing bugging me on the ls is investing in the market at these levels. I know i can dollar cost average, and i am sure the market will be higher 10 years from now, maybe I am answering me own questions...
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote