MA non resident tax issues

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Are there any past MA residents out there with income from IRAs, 403b, 457 or the MA state pension? If so, as a nonresident of MA do you file a nonresident tax form? MA does not tax the income of nonresidents derived form qualified retirement accounts due to work in MA, so I'd be tempted to not file at all....but make sure MA tax folks knew I have moved out of state.

MA does not tax the income of nonresidents derived form qualified retirement accounts due to work in MA, so I'd be tempted to not file at all....
Can they even do this? I remember for a few years California was trying to do this -- tax pension income earned from working in CA, even for nonresidents. As I recall the federal courts smacked them down for it.

Can they even do this? I remember for a few years California was trying to do this -- tax pension income earned from working in CA, even for nonresidents. As I recall the federal courts smacked them down for it.

403b, 457 etc income is US and MA taxable to residents as the contributions were made US and MA tax deferred ....but it's not MA taxable to nonresidents....MA state pension is not MA taxable as contributions were made after MA tax was paid. I'm just wondering if I even have to file the MA nonresident tax form.

I got a very prompt answer to my questions from MA DOR. Basically income from my retirement plans is not taxable in MA if I'm non-resident so i don't need to file a tax return with them.

Back
Top Bottom