Made in U.S., Shunned in China

mikew said:
It will happen. But it may not happen in the US. Look to Korea, the UK and other countries now that there is an opening. It may take a little longer because they need to gear up but it will happen. The science will not stop.

Similarily in today's NYTimes
American universities are warning that rules proposed by the Defense Department and expected soon from the Commerce Department could hurt research by limiting the ability of foreign-born students and technicians to work with sensitive technology in laboratories.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/26/education/26research.html

Mike

Noted the following quote from the above article -

QUOTE: "The proposed Defense Department rules would require contractors, including universities getting research financing, to create separate security badges for foreign citizens and "segregated work areas"

And with more China paranoia, they continue:

QUOTE: "Noting that American jet engine technology is superior to China's, he said: "I don't see any reason why we should make it easier for China to build supersonic jets they could use to attack Taiwan, Japan or the U.S. They're not an ally."

So in 10 years don't be surprised to hear the reply from China " Well our Alzheimers medication, stem cell technology and alternative energy source technology is way more advanced than the US, but why should we share it with you, you're not an ally."

ESRBob said:
Eagle,
I'm in your boat, too.  My Dad has Alzheimers-like symptoms (they think now it could have been the result of a series of small strokes) and they have had him on these 'slow-it-down' meds for a few years, but it isn't making much difference to him.  The slight reprieve they give seems,  however, to have made a difference for my Mom, who has been given a few extra years to get used to the idea that he is failing etc. and to have that extra time to bring herself around psychologically to the inevitable eventual loss of her husband of 65 years. 

Am I remembering correctly the stat  that half of Americans over 80 have some level of senile dementia?  If I have the exact percentage wrong, it is nonetheless a high number, and one boomers will simply not live with.  Technology has vanquished plenty of old bugaboos and this one will, I strongly suspect, also fall or at least take some serious body blows in our lifetimes.

My Dad is in early stage. Fortunately Mom is still sharp mentally
although she is still adjusting to Dad not being able to function at
his former level. First signs appeared about a year ago. Today, if you only talked to him for 15-30 minutes and were very non-specific,
you might not notice anything. I have seen this in others similarly afflicted, i.e. they are kind of able to fake it as long as the
conversation stays vague. The good news is that Dad has some sense
that he is slipping. If he had no clue (which may happen eventually)
it would be very tough.

JG

AltaRed said:
Protectionist barriers simply prolong the suffering and a drain on the economy. No protectionist barrier has proved to work in modern times. Such tools might be used temporarily to force a smooth transition over a few years rather than a sudden collapse of an industry.

in the mid-1980s you couldn't give away a Harley Davidson. HD lobbied congress and got a tariff put on all foreign-made bikes. They argued that they needed the help until the company got on it's feet.

Today....A Honda or BMW will still kick the bejeesus out of Harleys in both performance and reliability. But Harley managed to use the help to stage one of the most incredible marketing successes ever known. Harley now sells images, only a portion of which actually involves a motorcycle. People will line up to pay a $5000 premium or more over what the motorcycle is worth, then shell out thousands more to buy the costumes etc.

So maybe this is a clue--if you can't beat them with the product and its engineering, snow them with Madison-Ave. BS. Convince them that a noisy machine SOUNDS sexy. Seems to work.

So your statement, while generally true, is not strictly speaking accurate. Barriers HAVE worked, although I suspcet they fail more often than they succeed.

bosco,

As I understand it, the Harley success was built on management getting out of the way and listening to the people who put the machines together, thereby improving product quality (they stopped falling apart). Still, it was a marketing miracle.

I studied economics at college and follow the math and the argument that trade barriers make things more expensive. I am not sure that is bad in all cases. However, I have seen protected economies and they don't seem to serve their citizens very well. Products are not just more expensive, they are much lower quality. Again, I am not sure that this is necessarily bad. Inefficient, yes.

Still on the fence on this one.

Ed
In balmy Ft. Mac tonight (only -3 C!)

bosco said:
in the mid-1980s you couldn't give away a Harley Davidson.  HD lobbied congress and got a tariff put on all foreign-made bikes.  They argued that they needed the help until the company got on it's feet.

Today....A Honda or BMW will still kick the bejeesus out of Harleys in both performance and reliability.  But Harley managed to use the help to stage one of the most incredible marketing successes ever known.  Harley now sells images, only a portion of which actually involves a motorcycle.  People will line up to pay a $5000 premium or more over what the motorcycle is worth, then shell out thousands more to buy the costumes etc.

So maybe this is a clue--if you can't beat them with the product and its engineering, snow them with Madison-Ave. BS.  Convince them that a noisy machine SOUNDS sexy.  Seems to work.

So your statement, while generally true, is not strictly speaking accurate.  Barriers HAVE worked, although I suspcet they fail more often than they succeed.

bosco is absolutely right (about Harleys). During my entire biker
career I rode only "rice burners". Practically maintenance free.
Just rode 'em. A good friend is on his second or third Harley.
He is the best mechanic I know and could make a silk purse out
of a sow's ear. Still, he is thinking of giving up riding because
he has no confidence that he will be able to take a long ride
and make it back home. They are selling the noise and the
sizzle. They may not be "falling apart" but most of the bikers I knew
(even Harley people) agreed the Jap. bikes were a better value
for the money.

JG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom