made it into money magazine

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
All the subtlety of a buick through a plate glass window at 50mph...

With or without airbags?

REWahoo! said:
Jarhead & Martha, I don't understand how you can say this.  Sure, we have mind-numbing investment discussions, but we also have posts like this one from Justin... :D

Even the folks in the jerkwater town I grew up in would appreciate the subtle humor expressed here. ;)

Maybe so. But after reading most of his posts,
one thing I know for sure. Any Drill Instructor worth his own salt, would pay to have him as a recruit in their platoon. :D

I probably wouldn't do to well in the Marines. Aside from being outside the weight limits and having exercise induced asthma, I don't follow orders well. :)

Here's the problem with some people knowing specifics about wealth. Let's say you have $2M, you are retired early, and you pal around with people who spend about $80K per year.

You know that to continue to live at this lifestyle you need to protect that $2M and keep your lifestyle at the level you are at. But some of the people you pal around with do not understand this. They continue to spend what they bring in and always want more. They don't understand how you retired early, but they see you living a lifestyle approximately as frugal as theirs and they learn to accept that you aren't different than them. Tell them you have $2M and they can't comprehend why a multi-millionaire is so cheap. Why aren't you buying every round of beer? You have $2M. Or they might feel intimidated by your wealth. This won't happen with everyone you know, but it is likely to change your relationship with some.

Then there are the sleazy money grabbers who target people with money. I've read a number of interviews of people who were lottery winners or won bucks on a game show. They all talk about the relentless calls and pitches they get from people who want to sell them something once they learn they have money.

I hope your experience is different, mathjak. Let us know. :D

okay ill try to answere some of the questions..
first off no we had no ramifications at all from the info being published.in fact we had first checked with the magazine to see if they had any complaints about anyone ever being harrassed or inconveinienced by the info published and the answere was they have never had one complaint to date........of course they could be just saying that but lets face it they have been publishing info like this for decades and i tend to think they would have curtailed it if it was a problem....
okay a little bit about the mix...basically for most of my investment life i have followed a few mutual fund newsletters that cater to fidelity funds.we have been real happy with them ....
so our plan is we make 3 piles of money 1-3 years 3-5 years and 5 yrs and longer....money we need in 1-3 years is kept in short term bond funds,cd,cash and a small amount of fidelity asset manager income...a little kick for it....the 3-5 is mostly growth and income funds and bond funds,,,,,the longer term money is invested like any long term money...aggressively in stock funds....when the planners look at the mix they look at it as a whole...while we certainly have enough small cap stocks in the long term mix to be balanced when taken as a whole you come up light....but the shorter term money wasnt meant to have much small cap stock by my design.....it all works well just the way i have it...dont forget too the cash positions they show include the underlying cash positions the funds themselves hold too ...only thing i did do was increase my positions in pimco commodity fund and fidelity natural resources to about 5%

Early Retiree

Re: made it into money magazine
« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:19:00 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also interested in what your plans are with the home loan vs. paying cash

my gut instinct says take about 100,000 mortgage depending on rates and pay cash for the rest......as far as tax deductions...it may not amount to all that much...dont forget we all get the standard deduction no matter what so any deduction has to be over and above that standard deduction when you figure it.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
All the subtlety of a buick through a plate glass window at 50mph...
Ten to twelve years ago a poker buddy got pissed (he was a pretty angry fellow to begin with) at a car dealership, ford not buick. took a car out for a test drive. brough it back-late that night, about 1 am, right through the window :eek:
didn't get to see him too much after that, something about prison or some such thing :-\

« Reply #33 on: Today at 05:13:20 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you follow Eric Kobrens news letters as I do?

yes i follow eric kobrens newsletter for my long term growth mix and fidelity monitor for my income (1-3 years) and growth and income (3-5 years)  mixes...i had eric kobrens aggressive growth mix up until the end of last year and it performed fantastically..we since sold it and split the money into the various time frames getting more conservative...........the combo of the 2  newsletters gives me a nice portfolio with no overlapping funds in the different time frames like what happens when you try to use just one newsletter...............only modifications i did was bring the commodities part up to about 5% with select natural resources and pimco pcrdx and i added about 1/2 the amount in small cap they recommended in the article using fidely small cap stock fund and those 2 additions basically stand on there own not attached to the main mixes we follow from the newsletter...i did add a speculative play last month fidelity pacific basin but thats more of a hit and run kind of deal rather than a part of the mix too............

mathjak107,

Just got my Money in the mail.  Nice picture of you and your wife.  I've always been curious about the pictures in these magazines.  Did someone say something funny at the instant they snapped it, or were you saying something to your wife at the time?

gindie said:
Just got my Money in the mail. Nice picture of you and your wife.

We saw the picture from a copy of Money magazine from the library.

We don't even tell our kids what our financial situation is. Might have to in the near future as we have to get realistic about college costs, though. They will be affected so they should know the score.

mathjak, I hope this publicity does not backfire on you. Best of luck.

Ed

Early Retiree

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 07:01:56 PM »

mathjak107,

Just got my Money in the mail. Nice picture of you and your wife. I've always been curious about the pictures in these magazines. Did someone say something funny at the instant they snapped it, or were you saying something to your wife at the time

my wife hated her pics.they did her up all goodie goodie and very conservative..ill try to post a pic of the real mariln.....

Attachments

• SSCN0229.JPG
    SSCN0229.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 113
  • SSCN0229.JPG_thumb
    41.1 KB · Views: 10
it was funny doing the pics,along with the camera crew they send a make up /hair person too.they have every stitch of clothes she owns out on the bed as they search for something to give just that squeaky clean conservative look they want...i hear the make up woman asking dont you have anything not so low cut,,how about not so form fitting,how about something like a baggie blouse.after an hour or so of no no and no they found her something to wear.next the wild curls had to go,,pulled back and all conservative lookingh was the goal...oh and make up,,plain vanilla bland....aaaahhh finally the look..
can you believe about 200 pics were shot.alot are moving photo's like when the model moves her hair and 50 pics go off capturing every motion in between..since alot of pics have you moving and sliding around each other most are not just posed so its hard to tell what transpired in the final shot they used...

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
We don't even tell our kids what our financial situation is.
From the "Cosby Show", Bill Cosby to his son Theo,
"Your mother and I have money. You, however, are broke."

We do tell my daughter how much money in the 529 and Education IRA account so that she can choose which college she can afford.

Spanky said:
We do tell my daughter how much money in the 529 and Education IRA account so that she can choose which college she can afford.
We've been talking about a profit-sharing plan. For every scholarship dollar or accelerated-degree buck she saves, we'll split it with her.

ran there suggestions thru morningstar x-ray and heres the style box

Stock Style Diversification

16 18 25

5 9 13

3 6 4

Back
Top Bottom