Join Early Retirement Today

Made the leap!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Made the leap!

I've been reading (and occasionally responding to) this forum for a while, all the while getting more and more excited about the prospect of ER. Well...I couldn't hold out any more. I put in my letter yesterday, with 12/31/06 as my final date. I was originally going to leave next June when I turn 60, but figured..what the hay...if I can afford to do it sooner, why not? I just wanted to be on payroll til the end of the year so I could collect my 9% 401K match. Also, if I leave prior to my anniversary date of January 18th, I can sell back my remaining 15 days of vacation. If I wait til after that date, I can only sell back the 5 I can carry over. A no brainer, IMHO. Anyway, the sense of relief is almost overwhelming...only 128 calendar days, or 84 work days to go!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Made the leap!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

So, what's in store for the first few weeks of FIRE?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weeeeeeehaauuuuu. Have a nice celebration.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister in Maine wants me to come visit (I live in PA), then who knows? *I'll probably EVENTUALLY find part-time ahem...w**k... just to keep me in touch with people and for a little mad money. *But I'll be getting a state pension plus SS widow's benefit when I turn 60 in June, in addition to my investments, which will really put me in fine financial shape. *I may find out that even part-time is too much time! *I really want to just do something that I can leave behind at the end of the day and not dream/have nightmares about. *Right now, I AM the IT department for a non-profit that involves 12 locations over 4 counties. *Stress abounds...so making coffee at Starbucks sounds pretty appealing right about now.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My sister in Maine wants me to come visit (I live in PA), then who knows? *I'll probably EVENTUALLY find part-time ahem...w**k... just to keep me in touch with people and for a little mad money. *But I'll be getting a state pension plus SS widow's benefit when I turn 60 in June, in addition to my investments, which will really put me in fine financial shape. *I may find out that even part-time is too much time! *I really want to just do something that I can leave behind at the end of the day and not dream/have nightmares about. *Right now, I AM the IT department for a non-profit that involves 12 locations over 4 counties. *Stress abounds...so making coffee at Starbucks sounds pretty appealing right about now.
Congrats! 7 months 8 days to go for me. I can smell the Starbucks coffee from here.*
Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats Linkerblink! That is awesome to have a date-certain to make plans around. And to think, a few months ago you were just dipping your toes in the water - awesome!

I *think* you were probably joking about the Starbucks job, so not to take it too literally, but... I waited tables when I was in law school and my worst nightmares were about that job, forgetting about a table or something, so I can imagine having dreams about making someone a non-fat, 1/2 caf, double shot carmel latte instead of the requested extra hot, single shot, soymilk cappacino, extra whip might induce some nightmares!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes...the Starbucks quip was just an example...actually, my DREAM job is school cafeteria lady. No work on weekends, holidays, summers, snow days. Just sling mashed potatoes (make that fries!) to the liddle kiddles. Who knows what might turn up. But having the freedom to pick and choose and hold out for something I can't refuse will be lovely!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The saddest part about this picture is that the cookie and the mashed potatoes probably taste the same. :P
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #10

Great. linkerbink. It's amasing that you can give your notice so many days in advance. It's nice to switch to doing something else that is less stressful.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

Rather than last day being 12/31 ...
I was thinking that I would work in January and contribute 100% possible of paycheck to the 401(k) plan to get $20,000 tax-free. Anybody do that?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #12

LOL,

My DW could have retired last Dec. She chose to work until today and put a full $20k into her 403B.

If your saying that if you'll only have to work in Jan. to put 20K away I say it's a no brainer.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Congrats!

Rather than last day being 12/31 ...
I was thinking that I would work in January and contribute 100% possible of paycheck to the 401(k) plan to get $20,000 tax-free. Anybody do that?
Like someone said... can you do that You have to earn the money to put it in... and most companies limit the percentage you can contribute.. it takes me almost a year to get the $14K in..
Old 08-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #14
gone traveling

Texas Proud
I was limiting my contribution to $100 per paycheck this year cause I was anticipating a large purchase but since that fell through I just started contributing $2,000 every two weeks to reach the $20,000max and anticipate maybe staying around next year for about 16 weeks to get the $20K but haven't done the math yet to see if it's worth it. My ING guy said my work may not do it because they've had people max out only to file a hardship claim but it went thru. Within 15 minutes he called and said everything OK. I had done a $13K max the end of one year and the 13K max the first of the next year prior. My account is a deffered comp 403(b) I think. I did confirm that I can withdraw at any age as long as I'm retired which will be early 50's for me tho I don't plan on needing it.

I just got my first check with the $2,000 out and was surprised how much I was still getting. If I stay around the next year I'll push them on the most possible each pay period.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #15

Way to go LB. Its almost party time
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been at this agency nearly 14 years, and in spite of tremendous growth during that period, the staff, especially here at the administrative office, is like family. But lately I've been really feeling the stress...wanting to yell "leave me alone" when I get a phone call about a computer problem. But just making my intentions official has really lifted my spirits. With a specific goal in sight (83 work days!) I feel like I can get through these last few months fairly easily.

This forum has really helped me to make the decision. I think of my father, who died at age 61...not much older than myself. Or my husband, who died at age 54. If I can manage it financially now, which I can, I could see no reason to wait. Yes, party time is about to start!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #17

Quote:
I've been at this agency nearly 14 years, and in spite of tremendous growth during that period, the staff, especially here at the administrative office, is like family. But lately I've been really feeling the stress...wanting to yell "leave me alone" when I get a phone call about a computer problem. But just making my intentions official has really lifted my spirits. With a specific goal in sight (83 work days!) I feel like I can get through these last few months fairly easily.

This forum has really helped me to make the decision. I think of my father, who died at age 61...not much older than myself. Or my husband, who died at age 54. If I can manage it financially now, which I can, I could see no reason to wait. Yes, party time is about to start!
I also will be done as of 12/31/06

I am only gonna be 51 and have had enough, heck we already moved 500 miles away from my job, BUT I have to head back and finish my contract that 90 day clause. Funny how I have 200 sick days.

But they will pay me a % of them so hey it will pay off what debt I have left, then I IS DONE!

I will toast to ya!Tequlia?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:24 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately, the agency doesn't pay for unused sick days. I went through all my time sheets from the past nearly 14 years, and have taken 3 1/2 sick days during that time (we can only have a max of 45 on the books). We can convert 5 of our sick days to personal days, so maybe I'll use mine at the end and actually take that last week off as well. I'll also be selling back my remaining 15 vacation days.

I can't complain...this agency has been good to me, the people are really great, and the pay is maybe a little above most non-profits. But I'm just plain tired of it all!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I am almost exactly the same age as you are and I'm coming up on my six month anniversary of FIRE. I can't tell you strongly enough how good it feels. Do not plan anything for awhile. Just let the days sort themselves out; believe me, they will. I go to bed every night looking forward to the next day and the next day just flies by. It's a great cycle. Life has become exciting again and I feel more alive than I have felt in years. You made the right decision.

setab
Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
the staff, especially here at the administrative office, is like family. But lately I've been really feeling the stress...wanting to yell "leave me alone" when I get a phone call about a computer problem.
Gosh are we living parallel lives? I feel that way everyday, have no date yet but it's getting close. Congrats on getting out.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote