Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Slightly off topic, but you can get magazine subscriptions really cheap from Amazon. Once you have subscribed there, you can renew there at the same (generally much lower) rate.
Ooooh! I did not know this. Thanks. And I have a lot of AMZN stock so if I spend money here I am boosting my own bottom line

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Ooooh! I did not know this. Thanks. And I have a lot of AMZN stock so if I spend money here I am boosting my own bottom line
But be sure you go to Amazon from the Bogleheads link so they get a cut.

Left column, bottom, under "Support this site". End of commercial.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
But be sure you go to Amazon from the Bogleheads link so they get a cut.

Left column, bottom, under "Support this site". End of commercial.
I will do so via Bogleheads. I feel indebted to the website. I would like to consolidate the magazine ordering as it will be one small step in streamlining my life. I have to fight against my natural tendency to do things in the most laborious and inefficient way possible.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Like others I am no fan of the popular financial magazines, although would echo that Kiplinger's is the best of a not great lot.

Actually the one Schwab sends out to its investors is generally quite good. Vanguard has some excellent articles on its website, although they tend to be geared to the more advanced investors.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #25

Not a magazine about 'which stocks to invest in now' but big on information & theory is The Economist. I have had a subscription for many, many years now, DW calls herself 'an Economist widow'. Lots of statistics at the back of the magazine and very stimulating for thinking about economic issues.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Not a magazine about 'which stocks to invest in now' but big on information & theory is The Economist. I have had a subscription for many, many years now, DW calls herself 'an Economist widow'. Lots of statistics at the back of the magazine and very stimulating for thinking about economic issues.
AND the magazine has excellent coverage of world news -- better than one can find in Time or Newsweek.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I fully back the Economist recommendation (though not so much on investing), and strongly recommend reading their website blogs.

I get the Schwab due to 401k - it's worth skimming, but pretty fluffy. At least I don't get the impression that they are trying to sell me (other than "you must save and invest more and work longer!" which coincidentally might help their business), and for most people, they are probably right.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks again for all the advice!!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We don't subscribe to any magazines that we pay for.

For current financial stuff, the free articles at the NYTimes and Wall Street Journal are all you need. Many articles from these sites are linked on this forum all the time. That keeps you up-to-date to changes in tax laws, etc.

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia Check out the Business and YourMoney sections

Sunday Journal Partner Main - WSJ.com
Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I don't buy paper magazines anymore. Instead, I buy digital magazines on Zinio because I can take them with me where ever I go and read them on my iPad, iPhone and computer. I can keep my digital copies forever if I wish and they don't collect dust.

I subscribe to a number of digital magazines. Some US magazines and some foreign magazines that would otherwise be impossible to find here. My topics of interest include food and wine, finances, current events, RVing, aviation and travel.

For financial stuff, I subscribe to Smart Money (cheap subscription) and I occasionally read Money, Kiplinger and the Economist. For those three, I only buy issues with interesting topics, for example Kiplinger's special "retirement" issue.

I also receive free "magazines" from USAA and Vanguard. They often have good quality articles.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I suppose the exception would be industry periodicals.

Online you can read the Journal of Financial Planning. Journal of Financial Planning

There are other whitepapers and professional periodicals available online.

IMO - Most of the commercial rags targeted at retail investor are not worth the time... much less the money.