Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Make Roth Contribution all at once or monthly
Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
IIRC that needs to be done to make sure that you obtain the full employer's match throughout each of the year's pay periods.

Otherwise the stock market would see one heck of a January effect as everyone attempted to fully fund their 401(k)s and IRAs...
Sure wish I got an employer match

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #22

I asked that question in another forum a long time ago, and someone suggested that putting a lump sum in an IRA on January 2 each and every year is dollar cost averaging. Think about it. We think of DCA as a monthly thing, but it could be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, every 6 months, or once a year. Whatever, just so it's a regular investment. We did the IRA lump sum on January 2 thing for many, many years until 2002, when the lump sum went down-down-down. I chickened out after that, doing the monthly DCA thing for a couple years. Last year I went back to lumping.

CJ

Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I asked that question in another forum a long time ago, and someone suggested that putting a lump sum in an IRA on January 2 each and every year is dollar cost averaging. Think about it. We think of DCA as a monthly thing, but it could be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, every 6 months, or once a year. Whatever, just so it's a regular investment. CJ
It's true that annual contributions are a form of DCA, but, that assumes that you have the OPTION of investing all of your lifetime Roth contributions at one time. If you could invest the next ten years of your Roth contributions (say $50,000) right now, then yes, you can say that electing annual contributions instead of a lump sum would be a form of DCA for your Roth contributions. But, the IRS will not allow you to invest all of your lifetime Roth contributions at one time, you can ONLY invest your annual Roth contributions during a limited time period (about 15 months) and then you lose the ability to make the contribution for that tax year.

So while it's true as a general proposition that annual contributions are a form of long term DCA, the IRS restricts your ability to make lump sum Roth contributions beyond $4000 in any given year for most people (or $8,000 if you overlap two years into one contribution), so you simply don't have the option of making a long term lump sum investment for Roths.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
IIRC that needs to be done to make sure that you obtain the full employer's match throughout each of the year's pay periods.
Depends on the employer... at my old employer I would get the full 401k match even if I maxed out my contribution so it stopped in the middle of the year. This strategy of maxing contributions worked well when I left the company early in the year.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the yearly lump-sum strategy (I also think of it as annual DCA).
If you fall into the "phase-out" income range for ROTH contributions, it might
be easier to wait until after your taxes are done for that year, so as not to
have to re-characterize any contributions.

figner
Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not into a Roth as I can't.....

But I just put the full amount for 2006 and 2007 in a IRA... so LUMP for me...

I will move to a ROTH in 2010.... if it is still there They did just past pay as you go....
Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #27

DW does lump; I do DCA (all bases covered ).

- Ron