Join Early Retirement Today

Make some Mad Money
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Make some Mad Money

Hey there team. Well market this post is going to be for Market Timing. I know it is a no no but I see an opportunity to make some Mad Money. If not I can hold for the long term anyway.

Theory: August 2nd will come with a last minute solution to the debt crisis. As such the stock market will rally over the next few days some 5-7%. I am going to buy into the market near open on August 1st, I expect the open to be really bad. I have been doing well with some bonuses and tax returns so will drop in 20k to shore up my AA anyway. I think it is a good opportunity for my money that needs to be invested anyway. The cash is allocated for my retirement funds so I will most likely stay in no matter what way the market goes.

Thoughts, Comments, Abuses, Name Calling etc are welcome. I know Market Timing doesn't work but I feel this time it will be a nice bounce, if I am wrong no real harm done.

My other option is just invest the 20k in equal chunks over the next 12 months on a weekly basis.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck and let us know how it all works out. I'm staying the course and not touching a thing.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Boo Yah!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What are you buying?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

The Sure Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Theory: August 2nd will come with a last minute solution to the debt crisis. As such the stock market will rally over the next few days some 5-7%.
That's one possible outcome.

The other possibility is that the default actually happens and the markets sell off in panic - perhaps 40% or so.

If i were a bettin' man though (and I'm not), I would bet on the first possibility.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Will go with the Vanguard S@P500 ETF to sure up my stock holdings.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

My current thinking is like this:

- They must reach a deal. Surely? Erm.
- There certainly doesn't seem to be any significant percentage chance of "no deal" priced into the markets right now.
- But that means that the downside is all one way. Should I cash out all of the zero-transaction-cost stock funds which I own, and buy them back the day after an agreement is reached ?
- If no deal is reached on Aug 2 but one comes along on Aug 5, will the market recover its previous levels ?
- Will we get all this again 6 months down the line ?
- Could America, just for once, please accept that if you're going to try to rule/lead (delete as applicable) the world, with military deployments in 150 countries, you can't also behave like children ?
- Why does John Boehner's skin look like he's a latex puppet ?
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
My current thinking is like this:
- Why does John Boehner's skin look like he's a latex puppet ?
That's because he is a puppet or maybe it is the 1/2 carton of cigs he smokes a day
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
I have been doing well with some bonuses and tax returns so will drop in 20k to shore up my AA anyway
So since the money did not come from the market, in the spectrum of being a dirty market-timer, this action is pretty benign!

Certainly no worse then receiving an inheritance, breaking it into two amounts, investing them a month or so apart in the market... and the time frame just happened to be the fall of 2007
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My "mad money" went to gold and Swiss Francs last November.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks. I predict your strategy will be successful. Unless the outcome has already been taken into account by Mr. Market. In which case your strategy won't be. But doubtful you will lose money if you leave it there imho. Or not.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aren't you following my market timing newsletter in the other subforum?

You will make plenty of mad money if you make the same trades shown in the newsletter.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Aren't you following my market timing newsletter in the other subforum?

You will make plenty of mad money if you make the same trades shown in the newsletter.
I thought that thread was now a poll on the best looking avatar...

To the OP what you are suggesting is only market timing, not dirty market timing so thats OK. The former is timing an entrance point, the later requires an exit and entrance (or vice versa)

DD
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What are you buying?
Better yet, what are you smoking? ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not a bad plan, but why not Vanguard's Total Stockmarket ETF?
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Not a bad plan, but why not Vanguard's Total Stockmarket ETF?
Well I already have a nice allocation into small caps too far out of whack. So this would toss my asset allocation out of whack. I am following the coffee house portfolio these days and am short approximately 18k shy of being ideally allocated to at 10%. Thought this might be a good way to get it back on track.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Will this be settled in time or not?

Perhaps in times like this it is wise to consider Pascal's Wager. You can google Blaise Pascal for a better interpretation but the wager is about the existence of God and goes somewhat like this. If God does not exist and you live your life as if he did, then you miss out on so much fun in life. However, if you live your life as if he did not exist and he does, you face eternal damnation. The point is, the consequences is so lopsided.
Charlie_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Boy View Post
Will this be settled in time or not?

Perhaps in times like this it is wise to consider Pascal's Wager. You can google Blaise Pascal for a better interpretation but the wager is about the existence of God and goes somewhat like this. If God does not exist and you live your life as if he did, then you miss out on so much fun in life. However, if you live your life as if he did not exist and he does, you face eternal damnation. The point is, the consequences is so lopsided.
Well, the analysis based on the balancing of benefits/liabilities comes down to probabilities, I think. Pascal's Wager assumes a near parity or some realistic likelihood of scenario 2 (i.e., there is God and He does not like you having "fun" in pre-death timeframe) If the odds of there being a "God" and thereby finding oneself in "eternal damnation" are say, one in 100 trillion trillion (or a similarly huge number from your imagination), then the odds of the negative result is so remote as to be effectively impossible, for all practical purpose, and thereby, the logical course of action would be to "party up here and now" and "take your chances" with the "hereafter".

By the way, most of us ER types, take a chance that years of discipline and deferred gratification is worth the wager, when there is a realistic possibility of our demise prior to fruition of our ER plans.
Just my 2cents.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #19

Here's a somewhat related topic...

Insiders at many large companies are bailing out.

insiders-selling-unusually-fast-pace-marketwatch: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance=

Quote:
Bad news, stock-market bulls: Corporate insiders are selling their companies' shares at an abnormally fast pace.
In fact, one measure of that selling activity shows insiders of NYSE- and AMEX-listed companies recently were selling at the fastest rate since data began being collected in the early 1970s, four decades ago
What do they know ??
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well yesterday about 11 AM I pulled the trigger on the vanguard s&p500 ETF. But I only put in half. The other 10k is going in on a weekly basis over the next 20 weeks. I guess I will find out if the 1/2 in strategy pays off over the next few weeks. It is always hard to try to push in larger sums of money, rather than a few hundred a week.

Tags
Asset Allocation, market timing