Join Early Retirement Today

Make sure you keep your credit locked
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make sure you keep your credit locked

I unlocked mine about 10 days ago as we are refinancing the house and rental (3% jumbo 10/1 ARM) and forgot to re-lock it.

This morning I got an e-mail from my two credit monitoring services that someone tried to open a Citi credit card with my information. I called Citi and they cancelled the application.

Equifax paid for itself today. Yes, I re-locked my credit.

Dishonest thieves. Why can't people w*rk for a living like the rest of us?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's been my experience that you can specify a window (say, 7 days) during which your credit will be unfrozen and then automatically refrozen.
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

How do one go about locking his credit?
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ours remains locked.

I am surprised at how many of my friends and associates think that a credit monitoring service (like Lifelock) will keep them "safe" from identity theft or fraudulent credit being opened in their name.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
How do one go about locking his credit?
These two threads have all the information you need.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...acy-76730.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-75764.html
Old 07-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Gumby.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I did this recently and set a 10 day open period with automatic relock. I don't have a credit monitoring service (since I am normally locked I don't see the value). I couldn't find any easy way to find out if someone snuck in to open a line a of credit in the brief window. The credit agencies don't let you sign up for alerts without paying ridiculous fees. Is anyone aware of a free way to find out? Elizabeth Warren needs to push through a requirement that credit bureaus let consumers sign up for free alerts.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe when you unfreeze.. you can do it for a specific credit company to make changes and for a short time. This should reduce the chance of fraud.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep mine locked at all 3 agencies
I cant understand people paying 30/ month for monitoring services. What a total waste of money.
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
I keep mine locked at all 3 agencies
I cant understand people paying 30/ month for monitoring services. What a total waste of money.
you get alerts (like I did) when someone tries to open a credit card in your name, you get alerts when someone uses your credit card, you get alerts when you have an account balance that increases or decreases by a significant percentage, you get alerts when.....

it's just $20 a month - live a little
Old 08-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you get alerts (like I did) when someone tries to open a credit card in your name, you get alerts when someone uses your credit card, you get alerts when you have an account balance that increases or decreases by a significant percentage, you get alerts when.....

it's just $20 a month - live a little
+1
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ours remains locked.

I am surprised at how many of my friends and associates think that a credit monitoring service (like Lifelock) will keep them "safe" from identity theft or fraudulent credit being opened in their name.
+1

I try to educate them but I suspect fear+marketing tops reason.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #13

Does anyone have a check (other than applying for new credit) that can be performed that will confirm if Security Freezes are in effect at the various credit bureaus.

This would be a useful check to perform on a somewhat regular basis.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #14

I setup my new Costco Citi Visa card to email me every time my card is used. It's a nice way of getting an electronic receipt of my purchase, and if the card is ever compromised, I'll immediately see an email for a charge I don't recognize and have the ability to respond quickly. The Fidelity Elan Visa also has this capability.

I no longer use my Capital One Visa, but it did have a nice iPhone app that lets me instantly lock or unlock the card. So if I decide to use it for some reason, I just have to remember to unlock it first, but otherwise, it's frozen from being used by a thief.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #15

Glad to see these posts. It reminded me to include the ID numbers for both my wife and I on our "What to do if I lose my marbles and important information" list for all 3 credit bureaus. I keep this as a hard copy only in my fireproof safe. Freezing our credit is not a problem for us since it is not likely we will be needing a credit check for anything in the foreseeable future.

Other than that I am contacted (email) whenever we/someone goes into our credit union accounts, broker accounts, and also from the credit card companies if there are any large credit card charges or charges outside our local area.

I think I've made it about as hard to steal from us as possible other than breaking into our little home. I'm pretty sure they would be disappointed if they did.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Does anyone have a check (other than applying for new credit) that can be performed that will confirm if Security Freezes are in effect at the various credit bureaus.

This would be a useful check to perform on a somewhat regular basis.

-gauss
I can tell you it works as I tested it a couple of months ago. I had an offer for 80,000 IHG hotel points if I opened a new CC and spent $1,000 in three months. Even though I had 200,000+ points with IGH, I decided to test the security freeze process.

What I did was apply online for that CC and wait to see what happened. The app would not approve the card online as they sometimes do.

Within two days, I received a written letter from Chase Bank asking me to provide them a temporary PIN to check my credit at Experian. I called Experian and they provided the PIN for Chase to use. Chase was issuing the CC.

It all worked fine, but as far as I can tell, only with one credit agency. I'm not sure of any other way to test with all three.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Try Credit Karma. Its free and alerted me to two attempts to open credit cards in my name.
wappldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #18

Also note that if you DO want to unfreeze, ask the business who is checking you out who they will use. In the one case I unlocked they told me and that meant only one un-lock, IIRC I just unlocked it for 7 days and forgot about it.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Does Credit Karma work with Frozen Credit Accounts?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I setup my new Costco Citi Visa card to email me every time my card is used.
I have a similar setup. I have the Citi app installed on my phone and have it send notifications each time the card is used (these show up on my Watch). My DW does the same, so we're always aware of each other's card use.

My DF had his debit card compromised last month, such a pain to deal with!
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote