Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hurricanes are my main concern around here but we usually have 2-3 days to prepare. So I don't keep a stock pile of stuff normally.
That is our major risk as well. I always gas up the car so if I had to, I could drive out of the zone. The last time we lost power in one of these, I went down to a local marina and they just told me to take as much ice as I needed and come back later and pay (I had forgotten my wallet).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So what kind of wine goes with a clubbed goose?
A nice sauvignon blanc from Ganderson Valley.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to balance available assets with security. I don't want to be a target for thieves.

I keep a little bit of cash on hand and like an earlier poster, I'll use CCs (covered by ID theft protections -- 2 people have been jailed attempting to use my CC numbers), if I need more money right away. A modest amount of no-penalty CDs require me to physically to go to a branch to withdraw.

My bug-out bag is stocked with stuff for me and my pets. My passport is current in case I want to leave the USA.

If I need to hunker down, I have supplies that will last at least 30 days. My 60 gallon hot water tank will serve after other drinks are depleted. Oh yeah, I'm packing and a fairly good markswoman with plenty of ammo. The zombies don't have a chance.

Last year I had an automatic natural gas generator installed and last week it came in handy when my neighborhood experienced a 1 hour outage.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We keep a couple thousand in cash around the house for disaster scenarios. We also have about 60 gallons of water, some MREs, bulk storage of rice, beans, etc., a portable generator and 10 gallons of gas, and a bunch of firearms and ammo. We also keep the travel trailer in the driveway and it is stocked at all times with a certain amount of food, fuel and clothes to serve as a self contained living space and escape pod. We camp and hike, and I hunt and fish, so I am not real worried.

As far as liquidity goes, I keep a mix of savings account, CDs, I bonds and portfolio cash around. Before I bail on the job next year I will be setting up a HELOC as the house has appreciated enough in the last two years to make it worth while.

Way to go, Brewer12345 -- and THANKS for replying to my original post and showing that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

BTW, we also have all the emergency plan elements you listed, except that our travel trailer isn't "bug out" ready and our gasoline reserve is very hit-or-miss. But, I definitely will be doing something about both those items.

Thanks again!

Alex in Virginia
Old 06-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke
I suppose if I got desperate I could club a goose to death with my 3-iron -- it certainly isn't that useful for anything else based on my latest round.
So what kind of wine goes with a clubbed goose?
A nice sauvignon blanc from Ganderson Valley.
LOL!

For those of you on a well, why wouldn't you get a little generator? What kind of amps to those well pumps pull? I just got a tiny generator for $99 at Harbor Freight. I think it might be able to run the fridge.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
For those of you on a well, why wouldn't you get a little generator? What kind of amps to those well pumps pull?
It takes more than a 'little generator' for my 230v pump set 500 feet down my 820' deep well...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It takes more than a 'little generator' for my 230v pump set 500 feet down my 820' deep well...
Yep, You'd need to spend a pretty penny on a generator that could handle that draw. I've never had a well, city boy that I am.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #28

This post got me thinking, so that's a good thing.

I've put a few hundred in my safe in case. If they take the safe, oh well...

Beyond that, I want to talk about disasters. You need to know your situation. Hurricane Andrew was over 20 years ago. Things have changed somewhat, but cash is still king. I will not discount that.

However, I've worked with businesses since then who were bit by Andrew and have satellite services (for commincation) with generators just for that possibility. We helped install them. Now, not every business has that, so there will be shortages. Cash is king.

South Florida is also unique. You are "at the end of the world" down there. A hurricane in the east coast is different than South Florida. But yeah, cash is still king. But they need power. They need power to get the gas out of the reserves. So there will be shortages since new supply trucks cannot get in. We saw some of this with Sandy and Katrina.

Earthquakes? Could be really bad. Have some cash.

Know your situation. I have some cash, but here on the east coast, I always have gas in the cars ready. I have cars on the street and in the garage. We are on a hill, not flood prone. Good chance a tree will take out one but not both. But maybe the streets are blocked? So the neighbors worked to clear it. Are they ready next time?

So, yeah, cash is king. But think bigger, and think of your typical situation. Blizzard? Flood? Earthquake? Hurricane? Gas up. Know the typical limits. Bring your cash to get out with your full tank.

Beyond that, it is harder. War? Nuke hit? Government meltdown? I'm not ready for those. I'm absorbing that bad possiblity.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Yep, You'd need to spend a pretty penny on a generator that could handle that draw. I've never had a well, city boy that I am.
My pump, set at ~ 180' is rated 6.8-8.0 @ 230 V. It is on a 20A breaker. The 'locked rotor' current is 40.7 Amps.

I know the start-up current on these is much higher than the run current, maybe not the full 40.7A though. But I know breakers can handle short term draw several times their rating, so 20A would handle 40A for a while (tens of seconds I would guess, but you can look it up).

So while 8*230 is 1840 watts, the generator would need to provide a surge wattage much higher. Ahhh, I found the email correspondence I had with the motor manufacturer in 2006 - he said 4500 watts (~2.5x run watts) to run/start that motor. But I assume a 4500W generator has some surge capacity. I doubt that a 4500W inverter could do it.

-ERD50
Old 06-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #30

10 seconds of 20 amps (the 20 above what the generator is producing) is a lot of energy...that circuit in itself (mondo capacitors) would be big money! Maybe just planning on drinking out of the water heater isn't such a bad idea after all.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
10 seconds of 20 amps (the 20 above what the generator is producing) is a lot of energy...that circuit in itself (mondo capacitors) would be big money! Maybe just planning on drinking out of the water heater isn't such a bad idea after all.
They wouldn't do it with caps. The generator would just need to have some 'burst' capacity. Mechanically, that would be some flywheel effect, and just an engine that can put out more power for a few seconds, but couldn't handle that long term - just like your car engine. And big enough wires in the generator to pass that current for a short while.

For an inverter, every component would need to be sized to handle that peak, the only thing they can really skimp on for peak versus a 10 second burst would be heat sinks and fans. Most of the inverters I see have about a 2x peak/continuous rating, so that's probably what is practical. You'd just need a BIG inverter.

-ERD50

Tags
cash reserves, emergency fund