Join Early Retirement Today

Managed Investing Advice Sought
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Managed Investing Advice Sought

A relative of mine just sold her house. She wants to invest the money from this sale but wants someone else to manage the investment. In the past she had investments with Merril Lynch but no longer does.

I suggested that she look into a Dodge & Cox fund but I just checked the website and the stock fund and balanced fund are closed to new investors.

I guess that my next recommendation will be to put the money in a Vanguard account even though she really does not want to "manage" the investment.

Any good advice/experience on managed investing?
Patient Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps you could guide her into a "lifestyle" or target retirement account based on what you know her needs / goals are. These are pretty low cost and would require a minimum guidance from her.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I invested the money from the sale of my house in OAKBX which is still available if you open the account directly with Oakmark Funds. This is a balanced fund and it's a reasonable alternative to the Dodge and Cox Balanced fund which is indeed closed.

OAKBX fluctuates, of course. If she needs the money within say 3 years, she might be taking too much risk by having it partly invested in equities. Otherwise, odds are in her favor that a balanced fund will outperform a CD.

I had a 10 year time horizon for needing the funds, so I was comfortable taking this investment approach.

There should be the equivalent type of Vanguard fund available and it will have a lower expense ratio.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Here is a synopsis of managed investing as espoused here on this message board and others. I make no apologies to those possibly offended by the following.

If you have less than a million dollars, you should learn enough to manage your own investments. It will take a weekend or two. You will need to learn all this anyways since you will not know if your manager/advisor is ripping you off or not without this knowledge anyways. See Investment Guide for an easy introduction to this.

You are going to use Vanguard for your assets and sometimes use their financial planning services for free if you have $250K with them or can deposit $100K with them. If you have less than $100K, you are really on your own and must read some books. But you can get free advice by reading the articles at FundAdvice.com - Home . You can also get expert personal free advice at Guide to the Vanguard Diehards Forums If you don't like the web for knowledge, you can read some books like The Bogleheads Guide .... and The Four Pillars of Investing.

If you have a million or more, then you are allowed to use a DFA-sanctioned provider, but only a low cost one like Rick Ferri at Portfolio Solutions or Evanson Asset Management - Main Page or Welcome to Cardiff Park Advisors and some others.

That's it in a nutshell.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that looking into a Vanguard (or Fidelity) target retirement fund might be good for her - invest it and forget it, and it will rebalance over time for her.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

There should be the equivalent type of Vanguard fund available and it will have a lower expense ratio.

Audrey
Vanguard's Wellington fund (VWELX) is similar to OAKBX and D&C Balanced.

I second Audrey's recommendations.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Vanguard's Wellington fund (VWELX) is similar to OAKBX and D&C Balanced.

I second Audrey's recommendations.
I third.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds like this is in a taxable account, if she received the money from sale of a house. Did she downsize to another house? Does she need this money available to pay rent monthly?

I wouldn't recommend a target retirement fund in a taxable account, as it can pretty inefficient for tax purposes. And depending on how soon she needs to touch the money, I'd say anything from an efficient stock index fund, or tax managed fund, ladder of CDs, to tax exempt Munis if she is in a high tax bracket.

I think you can get 6% CDs at a few credit unions now!

It all depends.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

THANK YOU ALL for the input!

I will discuss this further with her and see what develops . . .

(btw this would be in a taxable account, she is downsizing and will need the money in perhaps 4-10 years)
Patient Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There is a BIG difference in the market risk when investing for 4 vs 10 years.

Also, when she needs the money will she need it all at once or will she convert it to an income stream?

If an income stream starting in 4 years then maybe some should be in a CD ladder to take care of those first withdrawal years.