Join Early Retirement Today

Management  Fees
Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Management  Fees

I have a Fidelity Blue Chip Growth fund. It lists the management fee as .41% and the expense ratio as .68%. What is the difference in these two?
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Management *Fees
Old 02-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 0.27% difference is "other expenses." The 0.68% is what's important.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Management  Fees
Old 02-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

So the total fee is .68%?
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which is too frickin high!

I own a mix of value stock funds, bond funds, small cap, energy, health care, precious metals and foreign stocks and my aggregate expense ratio is .25%.

I'm picking up close to a half percentage point in returns right off the bat.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Another less obvious expense - I try to look at each fund turnover rate (captures transaction expense) and then see if a lower turnover substitute can be found.

This is more difficult to quantify - but it's there.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

BTY - some funds, Vanguard et al, I believe have changed their 'tracking indexes' or made their definitions at the edges a little mushy to reduce turnover.

So - in an era of reduced expectations - some funds recognize turnover as a cost drag.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
BTY - some funds, Vanguard et al, I believe have changed their 'tracking indexes' or made their definitions at the edges a little mushy to reduce turnover.

So - in an era of reduced expectations - some funds recognize turnover as a cost drag.

Absolutely a key point imho.
Why do you really care if your fund obsessively tracks the index, if it is costing you material amounts of money in transaction fees?

All you _really_ want is exposure to the asset class -- the index is only an imperfect approximation of what the asset class is doing anyway.

DFA has quite explicitly said they will offer you an 'enhanced' index fund -- a better return than the index at the risk of not slavishly tracking the index. They produce this slight premium (half a % or so) I understand, in clever short cuts -- less trading, less spreads, less transaction costs. Especially valuable in foreign stock markets or small stocks subindices here where spreads are bigger.

WSJ and Lipper did a study last year showing how transaction fees in actively managed funds can be 1.75% or more of assets annually.

Bogle figures that the total cost of "Wall Street", by which he means the stated, published fees and expenses, plus all the hidden corrosion of your assets via trading taking place within the fund (don't even get me started talking about funds paying nflated brokerage commissionsand then getting back soft dollars -- legalized kickbacks as far as I'm concerned) --- all this amounts to 3% of assets a year.

Index funds are a good start, but finding tax-managed funds and index funds who intelligently cut corners to save you commissions is, I believe, the next frontier for us cheapskates to be focussed on.