Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is such great news, W2R! Isn't it wonderful when a surprise is a good one (or in this case, a really good one)?!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear your good news!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow so about 1k your were not expecting. That is very nice. That would cover about 60% or more of our budget.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. Definitely calls for a brief splurge before returning to your normal frugal self.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
... returning to your normal frugal self.
Why? W2R's spending power has gotten to a "permanent higher plateau".
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why? W2R's spending power has gotten to a "permanent higher plateau".
I think I have reached "escape velocity", to borrow the phrasing from another thread's title.

In four years when I am 70, I'll switch to my own social security, which will be growing from now until then. So, at that time my SS payments will go up another major notch.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #47

I want to be just like you when I grow up W2R.

Congratulations!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think I have reached "escape velocity", to borrow the phrasing from another thread's title.

In four years when I am 70, I'll switch to my own social security, which will be growing from now until then. So, at that time my SS payments will go up another major notch.
As I said earlier, you are already past Mars. This newly fired booster will get you out of this solar system that much quicker, I tell ya.

What we all wonder is what you will be spending it on. So, keep us posted.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

W2R...welcome to the group that gets automatic deposits monthly! (we get two!)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Just a couple of weeks ago, I rounded up all my tax records to get income numbers to enter into the calculator I downloaded from SSS.gov. Took those numbers then entered them into FIRECalc, I saw that I could "kick it up" several notches. But doing what? I do not crave new fancy cars, and my homes are large and nice enough (yet, that waterfront home on Bainbridge Island is still out reach). I should be traveling more, but my sudden health issue really cramps my style.

I think my children will be very happy when we croak!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #51

Quote:
I think my children will be very happy when we croak!

I'm sure you mean that "tongue in cheek".... When you realize you are saving-producing income for the benefit of your kids and grandkids that's when it time to think about your own wants/desires. It's not an easy mindset to adopt after many years of saving and planning for the future.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm sure you mean that "tongue in cheek".... When you realize you are saving-producing income for the benefit of your kids and grandkids that's when it time to think about your own wants/desires. It's not an easy mindset to adopt after many years of saving and planning for the future.
Yes, they love us.

Whatever I really desire, I already have. I have never had a German luxury car, but I do not want one. I already have 2 comfortable homes, and they already keep me busy enough with maintenance. The thing I really want and would enjoy is a waterfront home in the Puget Sound, but the SS checks are not enough to help.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, they love us.

Whatever.......... I have never had a German luxury car, but I do not want one...........
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that didn't have to buy one to find that out!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #54

W2R Great job and your diligence pays off. Best wishes with the windfall.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that didn't have to buy one to find that out!
I had a friend who once bought a used Mercedes at a 'good' price. His comment after several years, "They treat you like a king, an bill you like one also."
Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Even worse, buy one and find out you don't care for the cheaper cars!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Even worse, buy one and find out you don't care for the cheaper cars!
That may be where I am right now. I may roll into a used Corvette to ease the pain of withdrawal.

But I do 90% of my own maintenance and repairs so the bleeding is tolerable. But the parts cost are high.

For those who do not do their own work on German cars, it's got to be a real love affair.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

It's definitely not one of the problems that money cannot solve. Same as with having a mansion.

The problem is now shifted to one of finding more money. Some solve it by finding a way to make multiple SS claims. I do not know how they do that, but that often creates another problem, which then makes the luxury car and waterfront mansion irrelevant.

I just do not want to create more or new problems for myself.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #59
Administrator

I guess I am lucky.

I have no desire for a German luxury car (mostly due to their infamous repair records, and my lack of patience with that sort of thing). I thought I wanted one, until I could afford one and then guess what? When it came right down to it, I didn't realy want one.

The idea of owning and maintaining a mansion sounds enough like work that it nearly horrifies me. Surely I can make better use of my very precious time. I don't have any use for the space, either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess I am lucky.

I have no desire for a German luxury car (mostly due to their infamous repair records, and my lack of patience with that sort of thing). I thought I wanted one, until I could afford one and then guess what? When it came right down to it, I didn't realy want one.

The idea of owning and maintaining a mansion sounds enough like work that it nearly horrifies me. Surely I can make better use of my very precious time. I don't have any use for the space, either.
OMG, this is so unfair. Why can't some of that manna from heaven splash on us spenderinas?

j/k. I'm a great believer in the role good fortune plays when it comes to FIRE, but being able to say "enough" is neither luck nor serendipity, it's attitude and discipline, and you seem to have the right amount of both. Enjoy your gift!