Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Many ARE saving enough for retirement
Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Someone in my husband's department was denied promotion to full Professor................. He's an awesome teacher and contributor to the college, and a wonderful human being and popular with students and faculty, but the tenure committee felt that his scholarly research has been a bit thin of late.
I've always thought it paradoxical that colleges and universites hire people to teach, then base tenure and promotion decisions almost entirely on research.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #42

Tenure in the public schools K-12 is really not the same as in higher education. You can be fired in K-12 or let go so much more easily in case of budget cutbacks or for cause (the causes for firing are more liberally applied).

Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I've been reading, and finally HAD to weigh in. Any of you who think teaching is a "piece of cake dream job" is MORE than welcome to come spend a week in my classroom. FYI, I started my professional life in the private sector (marketing) and switched to teaching in my thirties. I have been teaching now for 12 years (oops - I gave my age away! ), have NEVER had a summer off (can you say "mandatory CEU's" - that I, not the district, have to pay for) and of course, summer school teaching so I could make ends meet (single mom, 2 sons).

I chose this profession as a calling - the salary was NOT attractive, compared to what I could have made in the private sector. Most of my students have probation officers, have problems at home, are behind in their schoolwork, etc. etc. I spend hours every week coming up with new ideas and curriculum (much of it purchased out of my pocket) to keep my students (junior high) engaged and in school. Any one who thinks this is a cush job, email me and you can come volunteer in my classroom to find out for yourself!!!

All this being said, I wouldn't go back to private sector work - I do love what I do. The pension (to which I contribute over HALF, directly out of my pay, whether I want it or not) will make up for the lack of salary now, but WE DO NOT GET PAID RETIREMENT MEDICAL BENNIES. Also, I contribute to my 403B because I know the pension won't be enough. Yes, some teachers who are retiring now have better benefits - they were grandfathered in. Times have changed - so, before you all weigh in with your opinions, check the current facts!!! 'Nuff said
Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
Times have changed - so, before you all weigh in with your opinions, check the current facts!!! 'Nuff said
As you will see from previous posts, I taught years ago and am in awe of the skill and committment of many teachers. But I do agree with the many posters who point out that the market appropriately sets the pay/benefits. People are lined up for teaching slots so it would be folly for taxpayers (or tuition payers at private schools) to agree to higher wages. There are, undoubtedly, other things we could demand of our school districts to improve but who believes that raising teacher pay would, in itself, lead to pupil performance improvemments in under achieving schools?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
People are lined up for teaching slots so it would be folly for taxpayers (or tuition payers at private schools) to agree to higher wages.
Maybe in your area, there are literally hundreds of unfilled openning in Los Angeles. It used to be that anyone with a degree could get a teaching job, now a specific credential is required. This commonly turns into a 5 year requirement for a not so great paying job in pretty brutal conditions-new teachers commonly get the less desirable schools. My wife just retired from teaching in LA, her pension is all of $24K a year and she will not get SS. But she loved teaching and is planning on working with a local college in placing new teachers in class rooms. From my perspective almost all of her "free" time was taken up grading papers, writing presentations, writing lesson plans and the like.

My sister is a teacher in Chicago, not great pay. She had a wonderful (not financially, but fulfilling) life teaching overseas in Turkey, Columbia & Korea but will now have to work into her 70s to get a survivable pension. She is trilingual, has a Masters and was a National Merit scholar. Probably could have been better paid in industry.

I have met plenty of former teachers in industry, every single one makes more than when they were teaching. (one senior manager used to teach French in HS!) They all thought teaching was tough and not worth the money so they are no longer there.

Now NYC may be different, they seem to have high saleries and benifits but that is not common accross the country.

I agree that the most critical improvements in education are not financial. It would be great for Principals to be able to get rid of poor performing teachers for instance. But just because some problems can not be solved by additional funds does not mean that additional funds are not warrented and a necessary part of the package for improving schools.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't speak for other areas other than new york so ill keep my comments to the nyc bored of ed.In the scheme of earning potentials with a masters two professions stand out as the lowest paid jobs you can take utilizing the masters.Social worker is one and teaching is the other.Like i said the pay for the amount of time worked is great but amount wise its less than a masters usually brings here in nyc.
So heres the point:Our entire education system starting with college in our city and state colleges seem to be geared to cranking out teachers and social workers if you have no clear cut goal of being anything else when you go in.Its structured like a funnel.The classes that lead to teaching are always plentiful,they are a little easier ,they are set up in such away that once you take a few of these and follow up with another like psych101 and psych 102 you start to fall into this funnel that leads to teaching or social worker.The classes seem to lead no where except down the teaching funnel.Its the systems way of creating teachers.Not that its a bad thing its just if a kid isnt aware of this sly little setup before they turn around there is no hope of being anything else without starting from scratch again with different classes.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I visit this website for some ideas and inspiration, and I usually get it. I've been teaching for more than 30 years and am 59 yo+. I will have a comfortable pension, and it is not from any state. Instead it is with a private teacher pension plan (TIAA-CREF). I am having some difficulty making the move to retirement, because of the desire to always have more in my pension plan. However, I am getting to the point that life is so short. 52K a year is enough for a single man even if I do not have my own house. The high deductable insurarance I have (cost of insurance is $3,500/year) alleviates the health costs fear.

As with any job, the headaches and irritations you have at 59 were exciting challenges at 30. I'm rapidly reaching the point of wanting change, whether it be hobbies or volunteer work. Akaisha and Billy with their website (RetireEarlyLifestyle.com) and this website certainly have helped me. It takes me a bit longer than most to finally make the move. Even 59 is not really that early to retire anymore.

Rob

Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I visit this website for some ideas and inspiration, and I usually get it.* I've been teaching for more than 30 years and am 59 yo+.* I will have a comfortable pension, and it is not from any state.* Instead it is with a private teacher pension plan (TIAA-CREF).* I am having some difficulty making the move to retirement, because of the desire to always have more in my pension plan.* ...* It takes me a bit longer than most to finally make the move. Even 59 is not really that early to retire anymore.

Rob

Welcome to the club!
Some have a harder time knowing when enough is "enough." Me included. I ER'd in 2002 but took another less stressful job in a smaller company with the hope that things would be different. At first they were but over time the job is stale and my BS bucket is full. It is time for me to leave. The nest has a lot of feathers but adding a few more each month is hard to walk away from. At some point you have to just take a chance with the math and with what you have done. The many here that have taken the leap into ER are an inspiration to the rest of us.

My countdown clock is now tied to the sale of my cabin instead of a specific date. Once we sell I am gone. DW has 10 months to go but she knows she is on the downhill side and each day is a bit better; despite her current health issues.

Go with your gut. Life is indeed too short and tomorrow is not promised to any of us. I know this all too well as do others here. Do the math. Check it twice and if you can do it.....DO IT.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I ER'd in 2002 but took another less stressful job in a smaller company
Sorry - but it sounds like you didn't "early retire", but just decided to "change the landscape".* Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, but it certainly isn't retirement...

- Ron
Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Sorry - but it sounds like you didn't "early retire", but just decided to "change the landscape".* Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, but it certainly isn't retirement...

- Ron
Never said I was retired, only that I took an ER from my former company. I was ER'd but chose to work for anonther company for a while.