many Retailers in Big Trouble........

caught myself standing staring at Hart Schaffner Marx ($1250 or so I think) suits when I was in Charleston a few months ago trying to justify...
....I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself....

I am quite sure you gentlemen would have knocked somebody's socks off in those fine suits.

I happen to love tailored suits on both men and women. Although there are exceptions to every rule, I think good suits make the most of whatever one "has." When I retire, I will miss wearing mine.

While I enjoy the comfort, savings, and freedom of being able to dress casually, I suspect the casual revolution may have caused people to forget how darned good they really can look when an effort is made.

Amethyst

Last fall I threw away a nice 5 yrs old, $600 + suit. Only worn twice, once to a wedding, once to a funeral, the moths had more use of it then I. No it will not be replaced, have a few more taking up rack space.

And some of the stuff probably had its "regular price" hiked before taking the discount.

Our local Circuit City flyers were trumpeting cheap warranty plans and stuff like that..............:ROFLMAO:

I think the forecast in the OP's linked article is largely correct, and plan accordingly. Furthermore I think it will be good for us, although a very painful transition. Going back to our over-leveraged ways (individually & as a country) would be better from a personal finance POV in the short-term, but even worse in the long-term. If it's this bad now, what would it be like if people get even further over the heads before the next comeuppance? We (collective) can't live beyond our means perpetually...

OTOH I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself but $2000 is kind of high. especially after this last year.
Ha

Ha, what would you do with an Armani suit? Aren't you RE?

Yes, I have to admit it would totally impractical. My usual uniform is carpenter jeans, sweater or sweater and jacket and maybe watch cap depending on weather. But dressed like this, I do need to shave daily. A few days ago I was downtown standing next to a hobo with a really nice backpack. I asked him where I could get one- he looked over at me realy friendly and said, "Is your's too little to carry your stuff?

I don't look like an affluent guy when I am casually dressed. I guess if I am not shaved, I look like an old bum.

Ha

Ann Taylor is also going belly up . So forget stockpiling guns ,we need to stockpile decent clothes .

Anne Taylor is also going belly up . So forget stockpiling guns ,we need to stockpile decent clothes .

I had to buy a new printer so yesterday I went to the big Costco down in the industrial area of Seattle called SoDo. At three in the afternoon the huge parking lot was jammed. The store was so crowded that it was hard to move. I was surprised. These kinds of scenes make me feel bad so I left and went a nearby Office Max where I found a nice fast 1200x1200 Brother laser for $99!

Office Max was doing good business too, and people were buying things like printers, not just supplies.

Ha

We just bought a toolchest/drawer top set and full mechanic's tool set from Sears. I hope they survive. Craftsmen tools rule! :cool:
I dunno. They've been described as a property-holding financing company with an inventory problem, and I can't believe how far Eddie Lampert has managed to plow them into the ground. I don't know how much longer he can carry them or KMart.

I happen to love tailored suits on both men and women. Although there are exceptions to every rule, I think good suits make the most of whatever one "has." When I retire, I will miss wearing mine.
While I enjoy the comfort, savings, and freedom of being able to dress casually, I suspect the casual revolution may have caused people to forget how darned good they really can look when an effort is made.
In Honolulu's financial district, a well-tailored suit just looks silly alongside the standard aloha attire. Hot & sweaty, too.

Hmm about the only store I would miss out of those mentioned would be Ann Taylor. I used to buy a lot of clothing there, but have noticed over the past 12 months how little inventory their stores hold. I figured a while back they would be going under.

Now if my favourite store Anthropologie went bust there would be tears in my household for sure. If you haven't shopped there before I suggest you take a look as they have some nice clothes there - not all of it is suitable for us that are a little bit older, but for one off pieces to mix and match they have some fun items and sometimes there products are even made in the USA which helps me justify the prices.

Walmart, Salvation Army Family Store and Gold's Pawn Shop.

I notice gun prices, especially shotguns have been climbing at the pawn. And you don't need a Sheriff's paper for handguns(that you aren't a felon) in our county anymore.

heh heh heh - :greetings10: A good pair of bib overalls winter lined - ya still gotta pay top dollar.

By the way, Oldbabe, is your avatar a picture of you? The lady really rocks white hair!

Amethyst

Only in my dreams! Her hair is lovely, isn't it? Mine is not that long yet. But I've decided that mine will look like that while I'm in my 60s.

Retail stores aren't the only ones in trouble. My partner and I went to dinner last night; we had a gift certificate that was about to expire. She called to make a reservation and they laughed and said we wouldn't need one.

They were right. When we left, around 6:30pm there was still hardly anyone there or anyone in the restaurant a block away. Two years ago, both restaurants would have been packed.

Went to lunch today (Saturday) about 1:45pm at Sizzler and the place was packed. Almost had to wait for a table to be cleared before we could sit down. It was crazy busy. The 2:50 movie was packed too (Paul Blart Mall Cop - 2 stars out of 5)

At one time (pre ER) I was really into clothes. Loved it back in the 60's when I spent a lot of time in men's clothing stores looking at suits. My favorite clothing item was shoes. Had to be Floreshime Imperials or Allen Edmonds. Last year, I'll bet I didn't spend $100 on clothes. My favorite store now is "Just for Men", a consignment shop. They only take in the best, everything must be laundered or drycleaned. Buy all my golf clothes there. Lot of stuff has never been worn. Check your yellow pages and see if you have anything like it in your neighborhood. Always know that if I have to travel up North for a funeral or such, I'm heading for the consignment shop.

I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself but $2000 is kind of high. especially after this last year.

Ha

After this year you can probably find lots of Armani suits on ebay .

At the mall a couple of days ago I noticed that three stores, including the one I was headed to (Ritz camera to get some film developed) were closed. Had to take it to WalMart.

I suppose it's time I broke down and bought a digital camera.

I suppose it's time I broke down and bought a digital camera.

For 35mm, we've used these folks for years and always had good results:

www.yorkphoto.com

Can only speak to our own experience, of course. But we've always been happy. Turnaround time by mail is one week, and they send you e-mails when your films are received/sent out.

We find that digital and 35mm each have their own advantages.

Amethyst

We just bought a toolchest/drawer top set and full mechanic's tool set from Sears. I hope they survive. Craftsmen tools rule! :cool:

are you serious?

Handtools should last no matter what...especially those with no moving parts. beyond that, i think sears sucks!

Anything with a motor and craftsman logo is junk. had a craftsman mower-trash. riding mower- trash. elec leaf blower - trash. i even broke a <3 yr old craftsman ratchet...the ratchet part fell apart. what a turd.

are you serious?

Handtools should last no matter what...especially those with no moving parts. beyond that, i think sears sucks!

Anything with a motor and craftsman logo is junk. had a craftsman mower-trash. riding mower- trash. elec leaf blower - trash. i even broke a <3 yr old craftsman ratchet...the ratchet part fell apart. what a turd.
I've had great results with the Craftsman 19.2V rechargeable tools. Two drills, two trim saws, a scroll saw, a shop light, stapler/brad driver, and a reciprocating saw. They are reasonably priced (if you buy them on sale in a 2-4 tool kit) and they have stood up well to hard use. I have never had one die. The reciprocating saw is a monster, and has done jobs that would normally call for a small chain saw. No, they aren't Milwaukee, but they are as good as the Dewalt or Rigid brand, far better than B&D or the generics. Unlike other brands and voltages that have been abandoned, Sears has been supporting the 19.2V line for a long time, and they keep bringing out more. Best news was that last year they came out with 19.2V Lithium ion batteries that fit the present tools, so now I can upgrade from NiCd to the new battery technology without buying entirely new tools. These tools have been great.

I've had great results with the Craftsman 19.2V rechargeable tools. Two drills, two trim saws, a scroll saw, a shop light, stapler/brad driver, and a reciprocating saw. They are reasonably priced (if you buy them on sale in a 2-4 tool kit) and they have stood up well to hard use. I have never had one die. The reciprocating saw is a monster, and has done jobs that would normally call for a small chain saw. No, they aren't Milwaukee, but they are as good as the Dewalt or Rigid brand, far better than B&D or the generics. Unlike other brands and voltages that have been abandoned, Sears has been supporting the 19.2V line for a long time, and they keep bringing out more. Best news was that last year they came out with 19.2V Lithium ion batteries that fit the present tools, so now I can upgrade from NiCd to the new battery technology without buying entirely new tools. These tools have been great.

I have a 35 year old Craftsman 10" table saw, and it has been used a lot. I have a 1/2 drill the same age, still vg.

Ha

Obviously the solution to staying alive is for JJill and others to sell firearms. But it might be too late for Hart Schaffner Marx:

Clothier Hartmarx files for bankruptcy -- chicagotribune.com

things are really bad in retail if they can't run profitably hanging on to Obama's coattails.

Nice suits.

I'm just glad Obama doesn't favor Hartmarx's Sansabelt pants, one of those 1970's fashion highlights that I hope will never be coming back into style.

JC%20Penny%201975%20catalogue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom