Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
By the way, Oldbabe, is your avatar a picture of you? The lady really rocks white hair!

Amethyst
Only in my dreams! Her hair is lovely, isn't it? Mine is not that long yet. But I've decided that mine will look like that while I'm in my 60s.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Retail stores aren't the only ones in trouble. My partner and I went to dinner last night; we had a gift certificate that was about to expire. She called to make a reservation and they laughed and said we wouldn't need one.

They were right. When we left, around 6:30pm there was still hardly anyone there or anyone in the restaurant a block away. Two years ago, both restaurants would have been packed.

Went to lunch today (Saturday) about 1:45pm at Sizzler and the place was packed. Almost had to wait for a table to be cleared before we could sit down. It was crazy busy. The 2:50 movie was packed too (Paul Blart Mall Cop - 2 stars out of 5)
Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #43

At one time (pre ER) I was really into clothes. Loved it back in the 60's when I spent a lot of time in men's clothing stores looking at suits. My favorite clothing item was shoes. Had to be Floreshime Imperials or Allen Edmonds. Last year, I'll bet I didn't spend $100 on clothes. My favorite store now is "Just for Men", a consignment shop. They only take in the best, everything must be laundered or drycleaned. Buy all my golf clothes there. Lot of stuff has never been worn. Check your yellow pages and see if you have anything like it in your neighborhood. Always know that if I have to travel up North for a funeral or such, I'm heading for the consignment shop.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself but $2000 is kind of high. especially after this last year.

Ha

After this year you can probably find lots of Armani suits on ebay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #45

At the mall a couple of days ago I noticed that three stores, including the one I was headed to (Ritz camera to get some film developed) were closed. Had to take it to WalMart.

I suppose it's time I broke down and bought a digital camera.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For 35mm, we've used these folks for years and always had good results:

www.yorkphoto.com

Can only speak to our own experience, of course. But we've always been happy. Turnaround time by mail is one week, and they send you e-mails when your films are received/sent out.

We find that digital and 35mm each have their own advantages.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We just bought a toolchest/drawer top set and full mechanic's tool set from Sears. I hope they survive. Craftsmen tools rule!
are you serious?

Handtools should last no matter what...especially those with no moving parts. beyond that, i think sears sucks!

Anything with a motor and craftsman logo is junk. had a craftsman mower-trash. riding mower- trash. elec leaf blower - trash. i even broke a <3 yr old craftsman ratchet...the ratchet part fell apart. what a turd.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
are you serious?

Handtools should last no matter what...especially those with no moving parts. beyond that, i think sears sucks!

Anything with a motor and craftsman logo is junk. had a craftsman mower-trash. riding mower- trash. elec leaf blower - trash. i even broke a <3 yr old craftsman ratchet...the ratchet part fell apart. what a turd.
I've had great results with the Craftsman 19.2V rechargeable tools. Two drills, two trim saws, a scroll saw, a shop light, stapler/brad driver, and a reciprocating saw. They are reasonably priced (if you buy them on sale in a 2-4 tool kit) and they have stood up well to hard use. I have never had one die. The reciprocating saw is a monster, and has done jobs that would normally call for a small chain saw. No, they aren't Milwaukee, but they are as good as the Dewalt or Rigid brand, far better than B&D or the generics. Unlike other brands and voltages that have been abandoned, Sears has been supporting the 19.2V line for a long time, and they keep bringing out more. Best news was that last year they came out with 19.2V Lithium ion batteries that fit the present tools, so now I can upgrade from NiCd to the new battery technology without buying entirely new tools. These tools have been great.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've had great results with the Craftsman 19.2V rechargeable tools. Two drills, two trim saws, a scroll saw, a shop light, stapler/brad driver, and a reciprocating saw. They are reasonably priced (if you buy them on sale in a 2-4 tool kit) and they have stood up well to hard use. I have never had one die. The reciprocating saw is a monster, and has done jobs that would normally call for a small chain saw. No, they aren't Milwaukee, but they are as good as the Dewalt or Rigid brand, far better than B&D or the generics. Unlike other brands and voltages that have been abandoned, Sears has been supporting the 19.2V line for a long time, and they keep bringing out more. Best news was that last year they came out with 19.2V Lithium ion batteries that fit the present tools, so now I can upgrade from NiCd to the new battery technology without buying entirely new tools. These tools have been great.
I have a 35 year old Craftsman 10" table saw, and it has been used a lot. I have a 1/2 drill the same age, still vg.

Ha
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Obviously the solution to staying alive is for JJill and others to sell firearms. But it might be too late for Hart Schaffner Marx:

Clothier Hartmarx files for bankruptcy -- chicagotribune.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
things are really bad in retail if they can't run profitably hanging on to Obama's coattails.
Nice suits.

I'm just glad Obama doesn't favor Hartmarx's Sansabelt pants, one of those 1970's fashion highlights that I hope will never be coming back into style.

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've had great results with the Craftsman 19.2V rechargeable tools.
Best news was that last year they came out with 19.2V Lithium ion batteries that fit the present tools, so now I can upgrade from NiCd to the new battery technology without buying entirely new tools. These tools have been great.
You know, I don't even have a suite of battery-operated tools, and now I find myself lusting after a reason to buy some.

BTW our local Inter-Island Solar Supply store sells Staber washing machines...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You know, I don't even have a suite of battery-operated tools, and now I find myself lusting after a reason to buy some.
I am going to show some rare personal restraint and let this slow pitch go right over
the plate.
however, some of the other gals might take a swing...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Guess my mind is unusually virtuous today, freebird, because I was thinking, "Because you are a landlord?"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
however, some of the other gals might take a swing...
Go to the 4:00 point and recall what happens when the lights go out - and come back on...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

mother..."It was an ear cleaner"

little girl..."It was kinda big"

gramma..."IT SURE WAS!"

Ok, somebody reel me back in...back on topic...Retailers...Sears might sink...Craftsman and battery operated power tools...
yes of course. I've had a full assortment for years.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

It was kinda big? Umm, well I don't...ummm
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #57

Quote:

For 35mm, we've used these folks for years and always had good results:

www.yorkphoto.com

Thanks for the referral, I'll try them next time. I took a bunch of photos of the new motorcycle and will post some when I get them.

At the moment it's snowing outside, the bike is in the shed with a cover over it, and the battery is in the basement on a trickle charger.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am quite sure you gentlemen would have knocked somebody's socks off in those fine suits.

Amethyst
It's not their socks we're trying to get off...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's not their socks we're trying to get off...
Yup..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Disclaimer: there is no feminist agenda here, I'm just horsing around.

A new twist on an old phrase...
Barefoot and pregnant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so if our socks get knocked off, can we get knocked up ?