Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I agree with Oldbabe....went shopping at T'giving and after Christmas and was NOT impressed by the "bargains" in any of the stores.
You too? I had the same feeling about a lot of the Christmas sales this year. Many items didn't seem to be any cheaper than they were in September, even if advertised at 70% off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You too? I had the same feeling about a lot of the Christmas sales this year. Many items didn't seem to be any cheaper than they were in September, even if advertised at 70% off.
I bought 2 beautiful cashmere sweaters at Macy's for $80 -$40 a sweater. I spent that or more 50 years ago for a nice cashmere sweater. My brother bought an excellent black cashmere coat for $200.

OTOH I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself but $2000 is kind of high. especially after this last year.

Ha
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I bought 2 beautiful cashmere sweaters at Macy's for $80 -$40 a sweater. I spent that or more 50 years ago for a nice cashmere sweater. My brother bought an excellent black cashmere coat for $200.

OTOH I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself but $2000 is kind of high. especially after this last year.

Ha
I caught myself standing staring at Hart Schaffner Marx ($1250 or so I think) suits when I was in Charleston a few months ago trying to justify owning a few - since I have no appropriate place to wear it anymore maybe I should run for office or I could wear it when I get my car serviced maybe I'll be called Mr. then...hhmmm I think that could be the solution to my Mr. problem.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #24

Retail stores aren't the only ones in trouble. My partner and I went to dinner last night; we had a gift certificate that was about to expire. She called to make a reservation and they laughed and said we wouldn't need one.

They were right. When we left, around 6:30pm there was still hardly anyone there or anyone in the resturant a block away. Two years ago, both resturants would have been packed.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Any of you kids remember Montgomery Wards?
Yes indeedy. They were the ones who taught me (via my spendy father) about the evils of credit card debt. He had a Wards cc and used it often, to the point where my mother went back to work to pay it off. She didn't get a job solely for that reason but it was the prime motivator. It took about five or six years to pay it all off.

I was about 13 at the time and remember the lesson well.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

caught myself standing staring at Hart Schaffner Marx ($1250 or so I think) suits when I was in Charleston a few months ago trying to justify...
....I tried on an Armani suit Thursday in Nordstrom-$1995. I was so beautiful I almost kissed myself....

I am quite sure you gentlemen would have knocked somebody's socks off in those fine suits.

I happen to love tailored suits on both men and women. Although there are exceptions to every rule, I think good suits make the most of whatever one "has." When I retire, I will miss wearing mine.

While I enjoy the comfort, savings, and freedom of being able to dress casually, I suspect the casual revolution may have caused people to forget how darned good they really can look when an effort is made.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Last fall I threw away a nice 5 yrs old, $600 + suit. Only worn twice, once to a wedding, once to a funeral, the moths had more use of it then I. No it will not be replaced, have a few more taking up rack space.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And some of the stuff probably had its "regular price" hiked before taking the discount.
Our local Circuit City flyers were trumpeting cheap warranty plans and stuff like that..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I think the forecast in the OP's linked article is largely correct, and plan accordingly. Furthermore I think it will be good for us, although a very painful transition. Going back to our over-leveraged ways (individually & as a country) would be better from a personal finance POV in the short-term, but even worse in the long-term. If it's this bad now, what would it be like if people get even further over the heads before the next comeuppance? We (collective) can't live beyond our means perpetually...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously the solution to staying alive is for JJill and others to sell firearms. But it might be too late for Hart Schaffner Marx:

Clothier Hartmarx files for bankruptcy -- chicagotribune.com
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha
Ha, what would you do with an Armani suit? Aren't you RE?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ha, what would you do with an Armani suit? Aren't you RE?
But wouldn't you like to see Ha in that suit? Woo, baby!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Does Armani make golf shorts?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have to admit it would totally impractical. My usual uniform is carpenter jeans, sweater or sweater and jacket and maybe watch cap depending on weather. But dressed like this, I do need to shave daily. A few days ago I was downtown standing next to a hobo with a really nice backpack. I asked him where I could get one- he looked over at me realy friendly and said, "Is your's too little to carry your stuff?

I don't look like an affluent guy when I am casually dressed. I guess if I am not shaved, I look like an old bum.

Ha
Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Ann Taylor is also going belly up . So forget stockpiling guns ,we need to stockpile decent clothes .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Anne Taylor is also going belly up . So forget stockpiling guns ,we need to stockpile decent clothes .
I had to buy a new printer so yesterday I went to the big Costco down in the industrial area of Seattle called SoDo. At three in the afternoon the huge parking lot was jammed. The store was so crowded that it was hard to move. I was surprised. These kinds of scenes make me feel bad so I left and went a nearby Office Max where I found a nice fast 1200x1200 Brother laser for $99!

Office Max was doing good business too, and people were buying things like printers, not just supplies.

Ha
Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We just bought a toolchest/drawer top set and full mechanic's tool set from Sears. I hope they survive. Craftsmen tools rule!
I dunno. They've been described as a property-holding financing company with an inventory problem, and I can't believe how far Eddie Lampert has managed to plow them into the ground. I don't know how much longer he can carry them or KMart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I happen to love tailored suits on both men and women. Although there are exceptions to every rule, I think good suits make the most of whatever one "has." When I retire, I will miss wearing mine.
While I enjoy the comfort, savings, and freedom of being able to dress casually, I suspect the casual revolution may have caused people to forget how darned good they really can look when an effort is made.
In Honolulu's financial district, a well-tailored suit just looks silly alongside the standard aloha attire. Hot & sweaty, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #38

Hmm about the only store I would miss out of those mentioned would be Ann Taylor. I used to buy a lot of clothing there, but have noticed over the past 12 months how little inventory their stores hold. I figured a while back they would be going under.

Now if my favourite store Anthropologie went bust there would be tears in my household for sure. If you haven't shopped there before I suggest you take a look as they have some nice clothes there - not all of it is suitable for us that are a little bit older, but for one off pieces to mix and match they have some fun items and sometimes there products are even made in the USA which helps me justify the prices.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Obviously the solution to staying alive is for JJill and others to sell firearms. But it might be too late for Hart Schaffner Marx:

Clothier Hartmarx files for bankruptcy -- chicagotribune.com
things are really bad in retail if they can't run profitably hanging on to Obama's coattails.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Walmart, Salvation Army Family Store and Gold's Pawn Shop.

I notice gun prices, especially shotguns have been climbing at the pawn. And you don't need a Sheriff's paper for handguns(that you aren't a felon) in our county anymore.

heh heh heh - A good pair of bib overalls winter lined - ya still gotta pay top dollar.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote