March 23, 2009 - A Very Nice Day in the Equity Markets

I suggest one maintains their target asset allocation. Jumping in and out is a market timing and you will ultimately lose. Could be a bear market rally and we will be back down to DJIA 6500. Or it could be the beginning of a 50% uptick. Who knows? :whistle:The answer is blowin in the wind.

The problem with people (like me) who overstimated their tolerance for equities and have adjusted their target stock asset allocation downward (by the market itself or by selling) will have to maintain discipline and keep their target asset allocation. You can't have it both ways.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
  • bottom billboard.jpg
    bottom billboard.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3
OK you got some credit. Were you also smart enough to get out at the top?
Out, in, out, in ... kinda like sex that ended badly.

OK, so you coud have, or might have, called the bottom. OTOH ... OK, you da man.... maybe
Alright, so it was a fluke. My past is littered with the consequences of bad market timing. If a broken clock gets it right twice a day, this is my first.

So tell us. What’s next? How much, when. Like the man said ... “just the facts ma’am. “ Or all you just a bitstream of anonymous keystrokes?

=haha;799195
If this continues much longer we will no longer be suitable objects of derision from the cash crowd. And gallows humor will seem quaint. But perhaps I should wait a while... :)

Ha

Ha - Between 1929 and 1932, when the dow lost almost 90% of it's value, there were rallies (from trough to peak) of 52%, 19%, 28%, 31%, 39%, and 29%. :dance: Unfortunately, there were losses (from peak to trough) of -49%, -30%, -38%, -39%, -45%, -41%, and -55%.:banghead:

Me? I'm not all cash or all-in, about 55% equities as of the end of the day. (Kiss of death for the rally statement: This rally is beginning to look like a bunch of big money sitting there on the sidelines with lots of cash and maybe starting to realize that they have "too much" cash come March 31st fess-up time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I gave back 28% of the gain yesterday. :mad:

Ten more days like this is all I ask for! :2funny: Well, that and maintaining at or above that level for the infinite future. :)
Whee, what a great day for the market! The increase in my portfolio since yesterday could pay for a whole year of ER. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope it isn't over. I just love it when the roller coaster is headed up, up, up.... :D
For gosh sakes! Don't jinx it!!!!
Audrey

Someone already did. :mad:

Well for your sake as well as the rest of us, I hope we are seeing the start of a good long rally. I did an appeasement dance when I typed this, so don't worry about annoying the market gods. :)
ha

Ha, the market god was not pleased by your suave tango steps! :(

Just kidding... :flowers: Buy buy buy...

T-Al, many things went through my innocent mind when I saw your post. But I controlled myself from responding all day. :nonono:

However...the one thought that has remained until tonight is "Thank God he shaved today".

On Monday March 23, my asset allocation got back to where I rebalanced it on Jan 16!

Audrey

P.S. - TromboneAls picture is a job fair! I guess the sign out front said something like - "Brownnosers apply here!".

P.S. - TromboneAls picture is a job fair! I guess the sign out front said something like - "Brownnosers apply here!".

My guess is the sign out front said something like "Enter through the rear".

Back
Top Bottom