Join Early Retirement Today

March 23, 2009 - A Very Nice Day in the Equity Markets
Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

March 23, 2009 - A Very Nice Day in the Equity Markets

SymbolLastChangeDow7,775.86 497.48 (6.84%)Nasdaq1,555.77 98.50 (6.76%)S&P 500822.92 54.38 (7.08%)10-Yr Bond2.66% 0.035NYSE Volume8,824,643,000Nasdaq Volume2,172,595,500

If this continues much longer we will no longer be suitable objects of derision from the cash crowd. And gallows humor will seem quaint. But perhaps I should wait a while...

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

For gosh sakes! Don't jinx it!!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Another 10 of these and I'll be able to reduce my AA to a more comfortable 50/50...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HaHa:

Shhhh . . . I still have a ways to go to get back to 11/21/08 levels.

-- Rita
Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Another 10 of these and I'll be able to reduce my AA to a more comfortable 50/50...
That's the sad part about it all. But, at least a step in the right direction.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
HaHa:

-- Rita
Well for your sake as well as the rest of us, I hope we are seeing the start of a good long rally. I did an appeasment dance when I typed this, so don't worry about annoying the market gods.

I am about even with year end '08, but down from some of the January '09 closes. And still way down from October 2007. Unless portfolios track the same benchmark, the timing will be different. I notice something when I look over different accounts. I manage non-tax-deferred accounts for equity income. These are down way less than my tax deferred accounts, which I try to manage for total return. Also I have more oil and gas in my outside accounts, and in this sector I was able to do some early 2008 selling, and year end buying. This helped lessened my losses to date.

ha
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Can we please just hope this means we hit bottom? I can handle a slow recovery, it was the sickening drops to new lows every month that was killing me.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Man, this is some painful news. I was hoping for 7-10 years of high equity risk premiums and low P/E ratios. All of this optimism is ruining everything. Don't you guys know equities are dead and you have to be a fool to be buying stocks right now. The freakin market is down 50%!!!! This is just a dead cat bounce. A bear market bull fake, or what have you. Now is the time to get out before we see Dow 6000 for real! You heard it here first folks.

However I did like watching my triple leveraged financial ETF go up 41% today. Cha-ching. It feels like 1999 again!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

I called the bottom for you guys a couple of weeks ago. I also called close to the top a year or so ago. I myself did not take advantage of these calls, since I'm out of equities and am clueless, thus placing me on an equal basis with many wall street analysts. Besides, if I had followed my own calls the market would have gone the other way.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tom-42988.html
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
HaHa:

-- Rita
I do not even think of those levels . They were a brief fantasy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I look at it that way too. Nothing is as worse as it seems nor is it as good as it seems
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't know if it's *pure* fantasy, but at this point I'm inclined to echo what was stated above -- I don't expect to get most of it back in the near future -- I just hope the long, painful water torture is subsidizing and we at least might have something resembling a floor...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Ten more days like this is all I ask for! Well, that and maintaining at or above that level for the infinite future.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I called the bottom for you guys a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tom-42988.html
What! I called that bottom. Look at the same thread, post #14. Then check the daily closing prices for the S&P for that day (3/9). No insinuations, hidden meanings, no "could be" or "might be". No multiple posts every day. No. Just one short, simple, single unambiguous post indicating the "bear bottom". Please, give credit where it is due.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm feeling VERY cautiously optimistic. Not only have the markets done well, but both my main home and rental have actually shown modest gains for the first time in ages based upon my research (comps, zillow, etc.)

Last night my DH said he has a feeling things are starting to get better and he thinks we will see more solid signs of this by summer. He's not a financial type but does read the papers, watch the news and often has a sense about trends.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I just want to get back to the Jan 3 point at which I rebalanced. Then I can feel good about my rebalancing.

I'm agin technical analysis, but a 7% increase after two weeks of gains looks like a good sign.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What! I called that bottom. Look at the same thread, post #14. Then check the daily closing prices for the S&P for that day (3/9). No insinuations, hidden meanings, no "could be" or "might be". No multiple posts every day. No. Just one short, simple, single unambiguous post indicating the "bear bottom". Please, give credit where it is due.
Dueling bottom callers! Too much of a good thing? I think not!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #18

Quote:
OK, so you coud have, or might have, called the bottom. OTOH ... OK, you da man.... maybe
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm feeling VERY cautiously optimistic.
Ditto!

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
OK you got some credit. Were you also smart enough to get out at the top?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote