Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Market Bubble
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Same here. Don't you hate it when you google your name and some inane usenet post from 1985 pops up?

What I don't get about the dot-com bubble is how quickly people stopped licking their wounds and got right back on the same momentum ride. GOOG has a market cap of $142B. Boeing has a market cap of $70B. How could this happen again so soon after a major crash? What ever happened to fear?
I was afraid it is heresy to say it, but that was exactly what I was thinking. Google, Yahoo and other internet plays have a valuation system that I sure the heck don't understand, so unless and until I did, I would never hold those individual stocks, no matter how high the annual return, even if somehow sustained for years. Call me a stick in the mud....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Never owned a dotcom stock but I did get burned by the tech stock meltdown which followed. Are we approaching another major correction?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
Ding ding right answer.
Hey, if you're going to do that, do it right!

Quote:
I figured that betting Mike was smarter than Andy Grove, about making money wasn't a good bet.
Anyone who'd take a TA job with senior staff has highly questionable decision making skills, so good call!

Wabs point about market cap comparisons is spot on. I used to look at some of this POS internet companies with market caps greater than most large stalwart businesses and ask myself which one I'd rather own. Mark Cuban and Steve Case figured it out.

I'm still trying to figure out Google, but I guess if they leverage their cash position into offering free wireless broadband through their portal and get everyone living in or near a major metropolitan area passing through their portal, using their Word/Excel/etc replacement apps, and pasting them with advertising...that model compared with the already known stat that people prefer interactive on-line experiences to television...well...they could end up swooping most of microsofts money and all the tv networks advertising streams.

That'd be worth something.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I held a few Janus funds that collapsed with the tech bust, but they weren't too big a part of my overall portfolio. The tech bubble seemed surreal to me from beginning to end, so I just stayed away. I've had two losing quarters in the past 12 years, and neither of them were during the tech bust.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

How did the market crash impact you and what philosophy did you gain from it ?

There was a market crash? We were busy buying sad little houses and multi units and were up to our elbows in clearing away debris, replacing plumbing, rebuilding, and both working ill-paying sub $20k/year jobs so we could dump our LWBYM money into down payments and drywall mud. Seems like I do remember people making money for nothing as we were working yet another weekend. Result is I don't know doodly about investing and have started reading and hanging out here and on the diehard's site hoping we can transition out of babysitting our tenants. The cost of divesting is keeping us in RE. Just hate sharing with Uncle Sammy.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #46

Quote:
We were busy buying sad little houses and multi units and were up to our elbows in clearing away debris, replacing plumbing, rebuilding, and both working
Yeah that was me too. Expect I followed Brinkers recomendation with my 401k and pulled 2/3 of the wad out of the market in January 2000.

Then I preached "the sky is falling" to everyone who would listen. Gave my brother and his buddy - a Yahoo sales person and paper millionaire - an earful one evening .... they laughed at me. Then decided to "put my money where my mouth was" and set up a futures account to short QQQ thru Feb 2000. Lost 9k in about 3 weeks (shorting QQQ) and, so, was sitting on the sideline (licking my wounds) when the bottom fell out a month later .

Oh, the Yahoo sales man ... he's waiting tables. Couldn't make this stuff up!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Yeah that was me too. Expect I followed Brinkers recomendation with my 401k and pulled 2/3 of the wad out of the market in January 2000.

Then decided to "put my money where my mouth was" and set up a futures account to short QQQ thru Feb 2000. Lost 9k in about 3 weeks (shorting QQQ) and, so, was sitting on the sideline (licking my wounds) when the bottom fell out a month later .
I didn't really profit from the NASDAQ run-up, because I do not have the tech background to understand even vaguely the technology. I did own some Dell, but thought it was just store, so I sold way too early.

I felt maximum insanity had been reached in the fall of 1999, so I started buying QQQ puts, as well as some puts on Micron, Atmel, etc. These all expired worthless in Jan 2000. I had lost enough that I didn't have the stamina to roll them. When the bottom fell out, I like tryan was no longer aboard.

I would like to say I learned something from this. I still couldn't go long if the situation repeated itself. It seemed nuts then, and it would seem nuts now. I guess I did learn that it is better to hedge moderately, so you can keep it up until the bull is dead. My hope was a huge score, so I was not pacing myself.

Ha
Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Did you also follow Brinker's March '03 buy recommendation?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I was working in Silicon Valley during the tech boom. Most of my money was in a 401k and reasonably well diversified. I occasionally questioned my investing strategy when co-workers would boast about big money they made on IPOs or leveraged real estate transactions. I too heard the boasts from co-workers about being able to retire with lots of money in only two more years of investing this way.

My 401k survived the bubble, crash and eventual recovery in pretty darn good shape.

What this sequence of events did was to give me a lot more confidence in managing my own investments. It also showed me that I had the emotional fortitude to ride out the market's volitilty.

One other thing I learned: I was planning to sell a bunch of stock options late in 2000 but the stock price was already on a downward trend. I decided to wait until it came back up. It ultimately dropped to only 20% of its former value and has never returned it is former high value. I am once again in a position where I want to exercise options. This time I wrote out a plan for when I would sell and how much I would sell so I can do it analytically instead of emotionally. Seeing the company stock price ticker jump up (or fall) causes me to have too much of an emotional reaction so I learned that I can use a written plan to keep my emotions in check. (btw, I have a written plan for my 401k and other investments these days as well -- just in case I need some self support the next time the market goes wonky)

Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #50

Quote:

I would like to say I learned something from this. I still couldn't go long if the situation repeated itself. It seemed nuts then, and it would seem nuts now. I guess I did learn that it is better to hedge moderately
The one thing I learned ... "If you can't hang with the BIG DOGS, stay under the porch". :

I didn't have the kaunas to watch thousands of $$ evaporate in a couple hours.

Quote:
Did you also follow Brinker's March '03 buy recommendation?
Yup ... second smartest thing I did with my 401k.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #51

Quote:
The one thing I learned ... "If you can't hang with the BIG DOGS, stay under the porch". :
Well Dang!.......I thought you could just stay ON the porch..........didn't realize ya had to stay UNDER it!
Quote:

Yup ... second smartest thing I did with my 401k.
Me too! 8)Waiting to see if he'll have any guidance now that S&P is ~1450.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Fair warning: broken clocks are right twice a day...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote