Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Market Pummelling
Old 04-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
He would run my ragged old neo-con ass in the ground.
I didn't know TH swung that way

sorry.... low hanging fruit....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am confused. Are you calling th a "fruit" ?

JG

Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I'm up for a pool, but we need more fixed values and less variables! I say we pick a fixed date in the future and have everyone pick a DOW number for that date. Closest to wins the prize! I believe Marshac was offering some flooz, I'm open to to an ante system. Anyone got a date in mind? Harmless diversion.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:56 AM   #64

Quote:
I'm up for a pool, but we need more fixed values and less variables! I say we pick a fixed date in the future and have everyone pick a DOW number for that date. Closest to wins the prize! I believe Marshac was offering some flooz, I'm open to to an ante system. Anyone got a date in mind? Harmless diversion.

How about Black Friday wasent that October something?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am confused. Are you calling th a "fruit" ?

JG

Ed?

I dont know why I got dragged into this, it was C-T that was the original topic of conversation.

Did you guys know a tomato is a fruit?
:P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 AM   #66

I track my net worth on a monthly basis and what annoys me the most is that a lot of my monthly contributions have been offset by market declines in the first few months of 2005.

Sometimes I think I'm just too much of a control freak to suffer the whims of the market. At least with bonds, I can understand that if rates go up, bonds go down...seems a whole lot more rational than the volatility in equities that comes from nowhere.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #67

Quote:
I track my net worth on a monthly basis and what annoys me the most is that a lot of my monthly contributions have been offset by market declines in the first few months of 2005. Everything else being equal, my NW should be increase by ~$2500 per month...but lately it's been more like $1500. Probably not much to most of the people here but I hate to see $1000 of my after tax money dissappear based on "expectations." Especially troublesome given that most earnings reports so far have been positive (except IBM).

Sometimes I think I'm just too much of a control freak to suffer the whims of the market. At least with bonds, I can understand that if rates go up, bonds go down...seems a whole lot more rational than the volatility in equities that comes from nowhere.
If you are still working and contibuting, this is exactly what you want. You are buying stock at cheaper prices. - So ideally, you want to invest in a bear market and retire in a Bull market. Read the 12 steps to investment peace that is on this page of the forum.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:32 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

To echo Cut-Throat:

There's this guy- Ben Graham who wrote about Mr Market way back when - 'The Investor and Market Fluctuations', chapter 8 of The Intelligent Investor. Your library may have one of the five versions issued between 1949 and 1973. Although I understand a Jason Zweig edited version is now out.

And then - there's my sweetie, the Norwegian widow, who like 'Your Money Or Your Life,' looks at the 'income line'.

When the market drops - you are buying a $ of income at a cheaper price.

DOW 5000 here we come. Yeah!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

So let's say last day in October, this year as our date, I'm picking 9800 for the Dow at that point (from there, I think it will hold really until the end of the year and then drop come January).

Soupcxan, I feel your pain, we upped our investment contributions to ~3500 a month between 401(k)'s, employer matching, and Roth IRA this year, and we are sailing into the wind with an opposing current. But hey, it's a fire sale, right? :P
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

For the 95th time in an unending series, the stock market is a funny thing, when stuff goes on sale, people run away. When stuff goes on fire sale, people jump out of windows.
:-/ :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, so long as they don't land on me on their way down!

DCA, all the way, I want the bull market to start about 5 years before I retire and last twenty!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #72

Quote:
When the market drops - you are buying a $ of income at a cheaper price.

DOW 5000 here we come. Yeah!
Ah, Unclemick - we're not supposed to be excited about this sort of thing. We're already retired!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #73

If you guys really get up a pool on how low the DOW
will go.....................I suggest you call it
"The Dead Pool"

JG