Join Early Retirement Today

Market Spooks Older Workers
Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Market Spooks Older Workers

Not quite as bad as the headline, but somethings to cosider.

Quote:
“There’s a lot of fear that if you have another event like 2008 and you retire the year before or the year after, you’re screwed. I’m not taking that risk,” says Mark Patterson, a recently retired patent attorney from Nashville, Tennessee. “There’s a huge fear of folks my age that they’re going to run out of money and they’re going to need to rely on the government for help.”
https://www.apnews.com/c96eb2f4b5c54449b13c95e841f89dab

Quote:
Mark Hamrick, the Washington bureau chief and senior economic analyst at Bankrate, notes that the Federal Reserve’s ongoing efforts to boost interest rates benefit savers with money in the bank but also make it more difficult for those with debt to pay back what they owe. The “rising economic tide” has been a boon for many, he says, “but it doesn’t lift all boats.”
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I read it this morning. Thought it was a waste of the few minutes it took to read it.

If I was an uninformed reader and believed everything I read in some of these articles I would be a basket case.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many folks on this site believe fully in the market and some do not.
The 2008 retiree is still doing fairly well overall if they stayed the course.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

nuff said: Teresa Ghilarducci
google the name + 401k

"She'd chuck the tax break people receive when they put money into the retirement accounts known as 401(k)s and use the savings to create an entirely new system run by the government."
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boy, if you’re not comfortable with your savings and you read something like this on a day the NASDAQ drops 3% it’s a kick in the chops. Nowhere does it say losses were more than recovered if you stayed invested.