Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you market time?
Never, buy and hold is all I do. 26 34.67%
Very occasionally, maybe when there is a full moon. 23 30.67%
Several times a year. 12 16.00%
All the time. I'm a full blown addict. 5 6.67%
Other (talk about it below if you want to) 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I am always looking for market timing opportunities, but the steady-state is buy, hold, and rebalance.

I think I am not doing too badly with the kind of market timing that I like to do.

I think there are many misconceptions about market timing with a couple addressed by the explanation that accompanied the poll. One misconception is that some people think one has to be perfect with timing all the time. Another is that one has to do it with one's entire portfolio as in go 100% into cash, then 100% into stocks, then back, then ....

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
... Another is that one has to do it with one's entire portfolio as in go 100% into cash, then 100% into stocks, then back, then ....
Yes, I've recently come to appreciate this more.

Now I have a 60/40 portfolio that can go to a 40/60 under one set of market numbers and to even 0/100 under a more extreme set of these numbers. By going to the first level of risk reduction, I'm reducing the chance that my model doesn't work as well as backtesting indicates and/or that the market takes a terrible sharp plunge that we have not seen in US market history.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote