Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

A default would be undesirable. One of the first things impacted would be short term treasury bills that mature shortly after the projected exhaustion point. Even the threat of a default is already having an impact. Short term treasury bills now have an inverted yield curve. The 4 week bill I now has the same rate as the one year note, and about 5 times the rate of the 12 week note. This implies a near term liquidity crunch.

US Treasury 1year credit default swaps rose from 10 basis points to 35, also linked to near term risk, and higher tha the 5 year swap. The last time these rose to this level was in 2011 hours before the debt ceiling fuss was resolved. As of last Friday there were 886 contracts open, mostly Euro denominated, for a potential default payout of 3.4 billion dollars equivalent. (Small potatoes, I know, but I'd love to know who's buying these.)

Biggest risk to retail investors is the increased probability of money market funds "breaking the buck". These funds generally have a significant holding in T-bills under six months duration. The risk driven rise in interest rate and associated drop in bond price impacts these money market funds, just as it did in September 2008.

And then my news agent turns up with this:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/11d59fa8-2...#ixzz2ggZ4N3MN
Quote:
Two of the country’s 10 biggest banks said they were putting into place a “playbook” used in August 2011 when the government last came close to breaching the debt ceiling

One senior executive said his bank was delivering 20-30 per cent more cash than usual in case panicked customers tried to withdraw funds en masse.
Wrong kind of market timing! Good grief.
Quote:
But as the debt ceiling deadline looms in the absence of an accord in Washington, money funds are looking to lighten up on their holdings of October-dated bills, said traders.
Better kind of market timing... Step around the short term risk event...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I know...AA..and rebalance.. and that's the course I will follow..but with all the shutdown and debt ceiling talk, is anyone getting nervous?
Not really. I think there is a lot of posturing going on with a limited economic impact so far. As we get closer to default and pressure from businesses and constituents builds, I think that some will find that compromise is not such a bad word after all.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know...AA..and rebalance.. and that's the course I will follow..but with all the shutdown and debt ceiling talk, is anyone getting nervous?
Not getting nervous, but starting to salivate.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm more pissed than nervous.
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me too!

heh heh heh - and not one politico has called me and asked for my brilliant advice. Heck I was a legend in my own mind back in 1966 when I discovered the stock market.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of those who call the shots on Capitol Hill have a large stake in the market, and I don't think they'd be any more willing to commit financial suicide than they would political suicide. I get an odd sort of comfort from this.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the market goes down tomorrow....I buy.....probably.....
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #68

So today DW moved the balance of her stock index fund accounts to a safe fund. She has come to the conclusion that the USA is going to go crash through the debt ceiling, at least for a few days. She left her current contributions in the index fund, but she had some gains and wanted to keep those. I'll urge her to move them back after a while.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm following Paul Merriman's advice:

Quote:
This month's partial federal shutdown provides a valuable lesson for investors. It's an immediate example of a real crisis that affects the markets and at the same time leads millions of mistaken investors to think they should do something about it.

Let me start by telling you what I am doing about it as an investor. Nothing. I'm staying put.
The shutdown and your retirement portfolio
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #70

Quote:
I'm following Paul Merriman's advice:

The shutdown and your retirement portfolio

I agree in principle. But this is her money. For DW, she was holding up through the budget shutdown just fine, because that is small potatoes regarding long term investments. But the increasing odds of crashing the debt ceiling finally proved too much. I'm not going to argue with DW right now because it doesn't affect our short and mid term strategy, and I'm retiring in a couple years. If she lost her gains because of the debt ceiling baloney, her resulting attitude would make it difficult for me to have a flexible investment strategy in the future. But if nothing happens, I can say 'see it was OK' and put the money back in. One has to pick their battles. (I'm also a furloughed fed, so that adds to the dark cloud)

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I agree in principle. But this is her money. For DW, she was holding up through the budget shutdown just fine, because that is small potatoes regarding long term investments. But the increasing odds of crashing the debt ceiling finally proved too much. I'm not going to argue with DW right now because it doesn't affect our short and mid term strategy, and I'm retiring in a couple years. If she lost her gains because of the debt ceiling baloney, her resulting attitude would make it difficult for me to have a flexible investment strategy in the future. But if nothing happens, I can say 'see it was OK' and put the money back in. One has to pick their battles. (I'm also a furloughed fed, so that adds to the dark cloud)
In a way I can sort of see some logic to her concerns. The likelihood is extremely low but if triggered it could be very, very bad. This is really an insurance type of decision she has made (maybe not framed this way) and we know that insurance generally costs us money. We also hope never to have to collect on our insurance.

I personally have not taken out this insurance but understand the urge. I do have earthquake insurance, hope never to have to collect on it, and would be richer if I did not take the insurance.

Addendum: We do not know the cost of this kind of stock market insurance in advance (don't know how much pricing is already built in, don't know what other events will occur in parallel, etc.). Earthquake or fire insurance costs are available at the time we take it out.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #72
gone traveling

Market timing never works. But I am ready to convert some of my cache (which earns close to nothing) into 1000 shares of some Vanguard ETF if market drops below 1600.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #73

Quote:
I'm more amused. The House has already voted to give all the civil servants furloughed their back pay. Last time they at least waited until the whole thing was over. Of course, the contractors are SOL just like the last time (speaking as a former govt. contractor).

Speaking of the Keystone Cops -- the National Park Service is also comical in their obsessive steps they are going to to create as big an inconvenience as possible at any national park property. I especially am amused at putting traffic cones up to block scenic overlooks on public (not park) roads at Mt Rushmore. Blocking WWII vets from the wide open WWII memorial also shows a certain level of class. All monuments and park properties were kept open last time.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm more amused. The House has already voted to give all the civil servants furloughed their back pay. Last time they at least waited until the whole thing was over. Of course, the contractors are SOL just like the last time (speaking as a former govt. contractor).

Speaking of the Keystone Cops -- the National Park Service is also comical in their obsessive steps they are going to to create as big an inconvenience as possible at any national park property. I especially am amused at putting traffic cones up to block scenic overlooks on public (not park) roads at Mt Rushmore. Blocking WWII vets from the wide open WWII memorial also shows a certain level of class. All monuments and park properties were kept open last time.
I am heading to St. John USVI in a couple weeks and was getting concerned as they had shut down the parks there and that is where all beaches we go to are at. Somehow after a couple days of closure, they have re-opened them and we will have access to them, after all. I do not know how they are getting around this. Probably wouldn't have mattered as I would have went anyways and ignored the closure.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #75

If I can make it through 2008 without even checking my 401(k) balance, I think I can handle this. I too am more angry than nervous.

"Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not yet OK, it's not the end."
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I am glad the bulk of the public land out here is national forest. Good luck keeping the public out of millions of acres of remote land.

Just starting to nibble in the market today. My equity percentage is a touch low, so I added to an existing position in a relative stalwart (OLN). More dry powder waiting for any bargains.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #77

Quote:

Just checking ...

U.S. stocks extend losses; Dow off 180 points - Market Snapshot - MarketWatch
Well, to be fair, I'm only 36, so I'm not nervous. "Hopeful" might describe it better... as in "hopeful" people will overreact and tank the markets so I can put some of the cash I have stashed away into them.

But in all seriousness, it's just noise, man. Noise.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post

Why wouldn't they do this? If they can't demonstrate pain to the average citizen from the shutdown, then we might start to think the budget for some government entities could be reduced a bit. Can't have that.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

I normally move investments into cash during the course of the year to cover the next years living expenses - then rebalance the portfolio. I decided to finish this process early to avoid the consequences of any additional stupid decisions by our govt. this year.
BobMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

well... today was a good day to be in the market.... These are the type of days where timing can kill you...
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote